I would really like a synth keyboard, but haven't a clue where to start!
Any tips would be great (like what to look for, any jargon busters that would help me etc etc.)
I'm looking at spending no more than £150, as its my first, so if you know where to get a good synth at that price that would also be great to know.

Any help would be awesome!

Cheers.
Seach bar

Theres plenty of threads like this, I only posted in one the other day. Your best bet is to get a USB or Midi Controller and plug it into a PC/laptop, these controllers dont have any onboard effects so they are cheap enough.
Yamaha PSR series.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
i think you're going to find it pretty hard to get a half decent synth for £150. USB keyboards are pretty cheap, upwards from 35 quid depending on size/control knobs, but you'd need something like reason (about £2-300 legit or free on a torrent site) to get any sounds and would mean to play live, you'd need a laptop
Technically, I invented sound

Quote by ckellingc
It's posts like this that make me wish I could post a picture of a vagina.
cheers guys. yer ive been looking around a lot more and i don't think i will be able to find a good one in my price range...will just have to save more money...helpful now work have actualy paid me!
Quote by pix3lboy
i think you're going to find it pretty hard to get a half decent synth for £150. USB keyboards are pretty cheap, upwards from 35 quid depending on size/control knobs, but you'd need something like reason (about £2-300 legit or free on a torrent site) to get any sounds and would mean to play live, you'd need a laptop

there are plenty of free VSTi synths, some of which are very good, you don't need something high end like reason.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by p.o.d~Tom~
I would really like a synth keyboard, but haven't a clue where to start!
Any tips would be great (like what to look for, any jargon busters that would help me etc etc.)
I'm looking at spending no more than £150, as its my first, so if you know where to get a good synth at that price that would also be great to know.

Any help would be awesome!

Cheers.

Start in R&R and read Tweak's Guide in my sig

IMO
Korg is best for synth type sounds
Roland is good for pianos and organs
Yamaha makes some nice acoustic simulator synths

If you are looking for a portable setup, get a keyboard with synth sounds on board but get agood one...

If you want something studio based, go with some software synths. Get a MIDI controller keyboard and a sequencer such as Cakewalk Sonar. From there you can use many VSTis which are not too high in price and they sound great too.
"Into The Stars" was made using Rapture LE on my desktop along with Session Drummer 2 for the drums.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 7, 2008,
there are plenty of better options than Korg for synth sounding stuff, my current faves are Alesis and Access.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Synthman is Here! *Superman theme song, but in G Major, and Backwards.*

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
there are plenty of free VSTi synths, some of which are very good, you don't need something high end like reason.

Great VSTi plugins, free.
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/win95/PLUGINS_VSTI/freeware/

then get a vst host:
Reason
Fl Studio

then get a MIDI controller.

And your set.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!