I'm torn between 2 different amps that are being sold used locally. One is a Traynor Custom Special 100 and the other is a Laney GH100L. Both are being sold for $600 each. I guess I'm more or less asking if I should check the Traynor or just go with the original plan of getting the Laney...

I was looking for an amp with a whole lot of gain (cleans not very needed) with a more modern metal-ish sound and a lot of low end. I'm after something like an Adam Jones sound but not exactly, its the only thing I can think of atm that's close. As you expected chugging and the likes will be done but I also wanted to somehow get a nice fluid lead tone as well. I will be playing either through the cab from my Fender Bassman which is possibly a 4x12 (if that helps)

Just need to know which one I should be going for. Also I should add I'm only looking at these because they are so cheap and close. I'd rather not buy new from a store or online. I'll be heading out to see them later today or tomorrow.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Last edited by CM_X5 at Nov 5, 2008,
Those are pretty awesome prices. I'd say if you're having doubts, try both. You might end up liking the Traynor more, though the Laney is an awesome amp
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah those prices are pretty damn good. The only thing is the Laney is in a city about an hour away from me and the Traynor is in a small town along the way towards said city. I mainly don't want to waste time going to both and mainly want to know if that Traynor is capable of high gain. I hear it needs an od before thinking of that but others say different...
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
I've not tried any Traynor so I can't really offer any insight on that, but from the videos and clips I've heard of it, it can get pretty high gain.

However, if the Traynor is on the way to the Laney, I don't see how it'd be wasting any time. Setup a meet for both of them on the same day, I assume you've already tried the Laney before, so if you try the Traynor out and decide you like it better, you save yourself the time of traveling all the way to the city. If not, you're already on your way there, so it's not like you're going in the opposite direction.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah I suppose so, I'll attempt to give them both a shot. I didn't think they were that equal though haha. We'll see what happens I guess.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP