What key has three major chords in a row?

As in the simple song 'the cat came back' the chords (as I play them) are Am Gmaj F Maj and E maj, and one can solo using the Am pentatonic scale very easily (both the regular and blues versions of the minor pentatonic).

But what key is the song in?

thanks!
Quote by stiff-upper-lip
it'll be in the key of A. the keys always defined with the first chord.

Not exactly, you can play a ii-V-i progression and the first chords doesnt define what key its in, for example Am D7 Gmaj in a progression doesnt mean its in Am cos its not, its in G maj, Other progression like a i-iv-v blues progression and a i-vi-ii-v progression do feature chord i as the first chord but never take this as a given.
Quote by stiff-upper-lip

*disclaimer* This is wrong *disclaimer*

the key of a piece of music is not determined by the first chord. I could understand if you said the last chord... but not the first.

Also, the key is not determined by the last chord, it just often occurs that way.
Quote by bluesbreaker88
Ive got a feeling its Am but the G# is doesnt really fit in the key

It is common to see a major fifth chord in a minor key.
the harmonic minor scale has a raised seventh, which is G#. Because of that raised seventh, the five chord becomes major resulting in three major chords in a row, the 5th 6th and 7th.
Quote by stiff-upper-lip

Thats correct if you change the term always to most often.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Thats correct if you change the term always to most often.

It is still incorrect. The key of the song has absolutely nothing to do with the first chord. Many people choose to open with the tonic chord, but it' still nothing more than a coincidence. The first chord does not define the key. Period.

TS: That progression is in A minor. In Western tonal harmony, dominant chords are major, even in a minor key.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by stiff-upper-lip

No no no no no.
Quote by stiff-upper-lip

Do mods have the power to delete posts here?

I dont think theres any diatonic key with three major chords in a row. One of them is either accidental, or your playing in an exotic key
Quote by yingyangthang
Do mods have the power to delete posts here?

I dont think theres any diatonic key with three major chords in a row. One of them is either accidental, or your playing in an exotic key

It's not exotic. It's simply A minor. While Diatonically the E should be minor, E major has a much stronger pull back towards the tonic, A minor.

This is where the Harmonic Minor scale comes from: Because E major has a G#, the G# is used instead of the G that is used in the Natural Minor scale. I hope I explained that clearly, because I'm not the best teacher in the world.

With all that being said, I wish the mods could delete blatantly incorrect information like the post you quoted. It would make it a hell of a lot easier for people who are learning still.
Quote by R.Christie
You are playing an andalusian cadence
more information than you probably care for can be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andalusian_cadence

Wow. Somebody's done their homework.

Honestly, I have nothing to say, but to me the simplest explanation is the harmonic minor one mentioned earlier.

And I DON'T take issue with "the first chord defines the key," 'cause I'm NON-CONFORMIST.
Honestly, it's a load of bullshit.
Quote by Archeo Avis
It is still incorrect. The key of the song has absolutely nothing to do with the first chord. Many people choose to open with the tonic chord, but it' still nothing more than a coincidence. The first chord does not define the key. Period.

TS: That progression is in A minor. In Western tonal harmony, dominant chords are major, even in a minor key.

HA! I remember some guy like 2 weeks ago was arguing with us about this same chord progression being in C maj...
The progression is in A Minor.

While temporarily shifting into the harmonic minor for the V.

Which is incredibly common.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Just show them Giant Steps of Countdown, and let them carry throught the theory that the first chord defines the key..

What you gonna do bout polytonality! Biatch!
It's in Am!

Often songs will switch between the natural minor and the harmonic minor, which let's you get the g# in the Emaj chord. If it was completly in the natural minor (and therefore relative to G major) it would be an E minor chord.
Quote by sam i am
It's in Am!

Often songs will switch between the natural minor and the harmonic minor, which let's you get the g# in the Emaj chord. If it was completly in the natural minor (and therefore relative to G major) it would be an E minor chord.

It's not "switching" between the two. Harmonic minor simply describes a common convention in minor harmony. It shouldn't be though of as a scale in its own right (not in this context).
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
It's not "switching" between the two. Harmonic minor simply describes a common convention in minor harmony. It shouldn't be though of as a scale in its own right (not in this context).

nitpicking

thanks for the correction though
Quote by sam i am
nitpicking

Probably
For some unexplainable reason I harbor reactionary anger towards the harmonic minor fad in metal. It leads me start petty arguments whenever harmonic minor is brought up. This is strange, because I like both metal and harmonic minor.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Nov 6, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
Probably
For some unexplainable reason I harbor reactionary anger towards the harmonic minor fad in metal. It leads me start petty arguments whenever harmonic minor is brought up. This strange, because I like both metal and harmonic minor.

I didn't know there was a particular harmonic minor fad in metal, don't really listen to it. Same kinda thing like the TS has described is used all the time in indie though.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Yes that would be correct. It is most often the first chord. That statement is true. I understand exactly what your saying and agree but that does not change the fact that it is most often the first which is all I said. Stop nitpicking me. My statement is true. The first chord is most often the key. I never said anything about the first chord dictating the key other than its most often the case. Dont argue with people you are agreeing with.

Your statement : " The first chord does not define the key. Period. " = True
My statement " The first chord most often is the the key. " = Also true.
Do you see the term most often that means that its not a real way to determine the key and that is just a common choice and coincidence. God only on the MT forum do people who agree and understand the same point argue with each other.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Nov 6, 2008,
Yes that would be correct. It is most often the first chord. That statement is true. I understand exactly what your saying and agree but that does not change the fact that it is most often the first which is all I said. Stop nitpicking me. My statement is true. The first chord is most often the key. I never said anything about the first chord dictating the key other than its most often the case. Dont argue with people you are agreeing with.

Any situation in which the first chord is the tonic chord is purely incidental. It will not help anyone figure out the key of a piece of music. The first chord is not the tonic chord nearly often enough to make it even remotely useful in determining the key.
Whatever archeo continue to argue with me when I understand and agree with you. I dont advise people to listen to the first chord to determine key and agree its mearly a common (most common) choice with no relavance other than that just like you believe. You once again added meaning to my words that i did not say or imply. Your argueing with points i never made or said. I never said any of that stuff that you just said^. And furthermore I still do believe that the key is most often the first chord in most music . So I am done argueing with you. Have fun riding your high horse and argueing with yourself because all of those points you made not me.

EDIT: I agree with you 100% on that little bit you wrote under your name. Thats 2 things we agree on.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Whatever archeo continue to argue with me when I understand and agree with you. I dont advise people to listen to the first chord to determine key and agree its mearly a common (most common) choice with no relavance other than that just like you believe. You once again added meaning to my words that i did not say or imply. Your argueing with points i never made or said. I never said any of that stuff that you just said^. And furthermore I still do believe that the key is most often the first chord in most music . So I am done argueing with you. Have fun riding your high horse and argueing with yourself because all of those points you made not me.

Get off your Goddamn cross. If you didn't disagree with me, you wouldn't have made a post in which you explicitly state that you disagree with me. I've been polite up until now, and I haven't put a single word into your mouth, but you need to shut up. If you can't handle polite disagreement, you need to get the **** out of the big boy forum.
You did put words into my mouth I never said anything you said I did in post #28 thats all things you made up and implied that I said. How is that not putting words in my mouth. I dont agree with those points nor did I say them yet you are saying I did. I think thats text book case of putting words in someones mouth is it not?

done argueing......... now
Quote by Archeo Avis
... you need to shut up. If you can't handle polite disagreement, you need to get the **** out of the big boy forum.

Anyway he was reacting to the condescending and authoritative tone you took correcting him. Don't expect people to sit quietly by when you speak the way you do.
Quote by Nick_

Anyway he was reacting to the condescending and authoritative tone you took correcting him. Don't expect people to sit quietly by when you speak the way you do.

I responded to his statement politely. I certainly have no intention of staying polite for long when people throw a bitch fit over civil disagreement.