Hello fellow people.
I'm a bassist, been bassing for about a year and a bit and have had 2 lessons, part from that im prettyy much self taught. I have just been asked to join a indie/mod like band with my best mate and another guitarist guy who is amazing. The guitarist has done gigs before, but me and my drummer haven't. Its in the pub opposite r school... Sooo, any tips for a 13 yr old who is doing a gig in a few weeks and hasnt learned and songs for the gig yet? :S
lol, im sh***ing myself already.

P.S.: And name suggestions? So far were thinking about The Spitfires, the guitarists old bands name, or maybe The Roots... What you think, any suggestions??
Last edited by hollythetadpole at Nov 5, 2008,
Don't break a string, don't shit yourself, don't worry too much. PRACTICE.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
i had the same problem, i know this sounds stupid but just go up and play if your really nervous watch your fingers on the bass and dont look out over the crowd
Eat a bowl of KFC before you play. It gets your fingers nice and greasy and allows your to play MUCH better.
Don't worry about it. Just practice practice and practice some more. The only real way to get rid of jitters/nerves is to be confident in yourself, and a lot of that comes with knowing the material.
Also, don't worry yourself about what others are going to think. That helps relieve some of the stress too.
Also, BTW, The Roots is already a band.
isnt the roots kind taken as a bandname?:P

beaten to it.. x(
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Quote by Altoidwithmelon
Call the band The Searchbars...yea just do what needs to be done...and yes, over do it

The searchbars, I like it

Seriously though, everyone gets a little nervous no matter how good they are, so don't expect to not be, but if (as said above) essentially "over do" your practicing, you'll be a LOT better off than not having practiced at all.
Practice like there is no tomorrow. Nothing is more embarrassing than being in front of a lot of people and just standing, not knowing what to do. Just get up there and act as cocky as ever. The peopela re there to see you. Act like it. They want to see a show, not some kid standing, looking at his fingers.
Don't just stand there looking at the neck. Find a few spots around the room where there's no one and look there every now and then. Practice the songs the way you're going to be playing on stage, don't practice sitting down unless you're going to be on stage sitting down.
If you're mess up, just get back in time and keep going, who gives a **** if you mess up, chances are no one is going to give a shit. I know they didn't when I messed up at my first show.
Quote by JagStang5246
Practice like there is no tomorrow. Nothing is more embarrassing than being in front of a lot of people and just standing, not knowing what to do. Just get up there and act as cocky as ever. The peopela re there to see you. Act like it. They want to see a show, not some kid standing, looking at his fingers.

+1
People go to a show because they want a SHOW. They don't want to go see a bunch of people just standing there and playing. Make them want to get interested, move around if need be, and yes act like you are God's gift to music. Trust me, the crowd will react much better than if you just stand there looking down at your guitar. And they're not going to notice it as much if you mess up a bit either, as they'll be concentrating more on watching you.
Quote by hollythetadpole
Hello fellow people.
I'm a bassist, been bassing for about a year and a bit and have had 2 lessons, part from that im prettyy much self taught. I have just been asked to join a indie/mod like band with my best mate and another guitarist guy who is amazing. The guitarist has done gigs before, but me and my drummer haven't. Its in the pub opposite r school... Sooo, any tips for a 13 yr old who is doing a gig in a few weeks and hasnt learned and songs for the gig yet? :S
lol, im sh***ing myself already.

Yeah, learn the fu*kin' songs!
Quote by hollythetadpole

P.S.: And name suggestions? So far were thinking about The Spitfires, the guitarists old bands name, or maybe The Roots... What you think, any suggestions??

I know a guy in a band called The Spitfires, they're doing pretty well too, so that one's out of the picture.
First off

LEARN THE SONGS. There is nothing worse than watching someone on stage who hasnt had the decency to learn the damn music,

Also, keep in mind, everyone has a bad gig. And everyone has gig that they thought went well, but a little later down the line they look back and realise it was shocking. Just go up, dont worry too much, and have fun. You will eventually learn to love the feeling of exhilaration of going up on stage
Tadpole,

As a bassist, you must wear leather pants, a vest with no shirt and dark sunglasses. Don't worry about tuning up, just crank your amp to 11 and play. You also must worry constantly about having a cigarette in you mouth at all times, regardless if you smoke it or not. Also, you must kick half-full beer bottles on your fellow band mates pedalboards and gear. And for good measure, show up late to the gig... this is what my bass player does.

Good luck, rock out and have fun.

Dish
im a 13 yr old girl looool
Quote by b.m.s.
Eat a bowl of KFC before you play. It gets your fingers nice and greasy and allows your to play MUCH better.

myspacebarbroke...