Well at the moment I'm lusting for a five string but really I'm thinking it could be a bit impractical but then again the more (strings) the merrier! So I might just go with it as I get a whole extra string. So basically these are the basses I've narrowed it down to remember these are both the four and five string versions I like, personally I'd go with a five but with the current economic climate money is the key thing with this so I've gone from wanting to get a bass for around £500/600 to £350/400 just to make sure I save some money. BTW I want a new bass as my birthdays coming up (18th Nov) and have wanted a new one for quite a while 'cause as my band is getting more serious I want something as well as my GSR200, and then shove the GSR as my 'backup' bass. Here are the basses - going to rate them out of 5! (Sorry for the huge pictures!)

1. Ibanez SRX505/500

Well this bass I like the neck on both (5 & 4) but personally I find the dual humbuckers to lack for what kind of music I play (my bands recently dropped its old style for a more 'heavy' indie style (at least I get to make up some lovely basslines now ) used to be a more lighter punk style which I think the 'buckers could have been useful for but really I'm just liking this bass cause it feels similar (but better) than my current bass.

Five string - 3/5 - (ratings based on tone, feel, versatility, and usefulness for my band)
Four string - 3/5

2. Fender Standard (MIM) Five string/four

Always loved Jazzes but sometimes I pick one up and dislike it, never known why. Gets a tone that I love (but then again so does my GSR200) but something about this bass I just love, like an unconditional love (maybe my love for Jazz pickups). It fits my band situation near perfectly as its pretty damn versatile and can range from heavy songs to very Arctic Monkeys-esque songs, which is also a good thing. Its also pretty cheap which is also a bonus. But with this I could always feel that I should have gone all out and bought the Highway one, but really I just need something better than what I have. But.. It has a few other problems compared to the GSR its necks bigger but not much, and really I'll get used to it. And I've not played around with it enough to get some good playing around with the tone/volume settings on it.

Five string - 4/5
Four string - 4.5/5 (damn my bias on 4 strings and not being used to 5)

3. Ibanez SR505/500

Well... This is just an few models up from my current bass which I love but I'm not 100% on the pickups on it, I like them but I don't love them, prefer the P/J setup on my GSR, I found these basses to be kinda a mixture of the tone/versitility of the Jazz's pickups, and my GSR's all shoved together in one package but without some of the distinctive tone, personally I found it pretty 'meh' but thats just what I thought. I like the body shape of this but theres something that bores me with it, afterall I'm getting a new bass to have a change from my current bass but with this it wouldn't really be change more than just hardware upgrade (if only they made a P/J SR-something). However I did like the five string on this but the four was too similar to my GSR.

Five string - 3.5/5
Four string - 2.5/5 (mixture of tone from the pickups mixed with personal opinions on it being to close to my GSR for my liking)

EDIT: MY LORD THOSE PICTURES WERE HUGE - changed them!

And if you suggest any alternatives please remember I live in the UK so we don't get many things like Schecters and Spectors or any other predominately US basses.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Last edited by Rywad at Nov 5, 2008,
Well i would go with the sr followed by the jazz. Also it seems you like the jazz the most. With a new bridge that thing is really nice.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
you like the jazz. get the jazz. duh.

though they all are sexy instruments.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
True, but I find the Wine red finish lacking compared to Ibanez's finishes on basses of the same value, but looks aren't everything. But I have a few problems with the jazz but as there not major and it will be a different bass with a thicker neck (too used to ibanez necks to be honest) but the question is.. four or five for the jazz... The head on the five looks pretty meh with the different style tuners and the 5 in a row isn't attractive IMO. But I do like the extra string and as I said looks aren't everything.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

The question is what fells most comfortable and right? I actually like that wine red and was considering getting a hw1 in that colour. And the jazz has a really thin neck. I obviosuly havent being playing enough ibanez.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Yeah I love the wine red, well at the moment the Ibanez's feel better and 'right' as I've played one for nearly 2 years so that kinda explains it but the fenders not far off, prefer the Jazz neck over the precision though. But I've used a 4 string jazz many times before but just not the five which is a little bigger. And I can't really compare a shitty condition Affinity to a Fender one really can I? Especially a five string.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Ok first of how much are going to need a b string. If you want a fiver for the sake of having one why bother, yet when i got my 5er i started using the b in just about evreysong i played. But do you need it. i canunderstand you wanting an upgrade. Get something that is suitable and feels right and makes you happy, not something that you can get because you can afford it. Oh and have a long play through all of them.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Yeah planning to have a long play this weekend while I make my final decision. And I want a low B just so I can have another range of notes, Its something that just makes it more versatile and just seems good. But I'm probably also going to look at other four strings just to check theres nothing I've forgotten. And I'm pushing what I can afford with £400 at the moment, and happiness is what I'm searching for, need something that I love that isn't my GSR. God knows why I love that lump of Indonesian wood but I do and it'll last forever, 'hopefully' but its time is up and so far a form of Fender Jazz sounds best to me, personally I would swing for the 4 because it feels more natural, but the five maybe more useful for playing things as the B gives a good few easier ways to play things and is just good.. A 15" speaker can manage a low B fine can't it?
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Yep it usually depends on hz but your mag will handle it in fact just about any bass cab can. Well im basically going to say good luck in finding process and when i last did i was always changing my mind and flicking back and forward. If a 4 string is to awkward dont get unless you think it will grow on with age. But it is true when i use my 5er im always using th b so it is extrememly useul.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Fender Jazz's are good, versatile basses. However, I have heard that their 5-strings aren't that great (someone could correct me if I'm wrong). If you like the feel of the GSR, the SR would probably be a good bet. If anything, I'd say the SR has a more distinctive tone than the GSR (I have a GSR205, the 5-stringed version of yours). GSRs are made of agathis, which doesn't really have much tonal character at all, whereas the SR500/SR505 are made of Mahogany, which I think sounds a lot better. Also, the SR line (from the 500 upwards) all have Bartolini pickups, which are one of the best brands you can get - a lot better than the pickups GSRs come with.

So, that would be my recommendation; just make sure you play the basses enough to know which you prefer before you buy one.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for an hour.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
I'm not that much of a fan on the pickups in the SR's really (less so on the SRX's), I prefer the two Jazz's or P/J. I'm probably going to end up getting a jazz, one model or another. But I wouldn't be suprised if I come home after the weekend like.. "OMG *insert bass here* is sooo awesome!" my mind changes all the time. Might have to try the old Precision as well, and maybe the '51 P, 'cause I think someone said its kinda a mixture of a J & a P (maybe thefitz? not sure) but I'm not going to try anything out my price range. Maybe a Ibanez ATK. But I'd rather move away from Ibanez as my current bass and guitar are both Ibanez and I fancy a change.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Ah i know the feeling. That atk is really nice. Nut im going to say get the jazz and your gas will go for a bit it always comes back though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul