Hey, I've just received my EMG 81 n 85 for my Ibanez RGT42, but the output jack is way too short to fit though the hole, I've read about the output jack with the EMGs is a stereo output, and i think my old ibanez jack is a stereo, does anyone know for definite if it is, and how to solder it to the EMGs.

Cheers
Mikee
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)
steroe output ?!?! A guitar is mono output unless connected to 2 amps.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
i know for a fact that emg's use a stereo output and i also know for a fact that stock ibanez's would have a mono output. i don't know enough about it to tell you if the ibanez jack would work with the emg's
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
so its stereo then? it does have 3 things to connect wires too
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)
Quote by jordanzio
i know for a fact that emg's use a stereo output and i also know for a fact that stock ibanez's would have a mono output. i don't know enough about it to tell you if the ibanez jack would work with the emg's

You're incorrect, Ibanez tend to come with stereo jacks as standard, the S Series for definite.

"so its stereo then? it does have 3 things to connect wires too"

Yes, thats stereo.
Last edited by ProfDrum at Nov 5, 2008,
Wicked, looks like i can carry on then
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)
Quote by ProfDrum
You're incorrect, Ibanez tend to come with stereo jacks as standard, the S Series for definite.

"so its stereo then? it does have 3 things to connect wires too"

Yes, thats stereo.
not so fast, junior.

3 lugs does not automatically mean it's stereo. it could be a closed circuit jack.

it's easy enough to tell with a multimeter.

- set the meter to read resistance.

- connect one of the probes of the meter to the sleeve (ground) tab of the jack

- connect the other probe to the tab that had not been used before

- if it shows continuity (low resistance) without a plug inserted in the jack and no continuity (infinite resistance) with a plug inserted, it's a closed circuit jack. it will NOT work for this purpose.

- if it shows continuity (low resistance) with a plug inserted in the jack and no continuity (infinite resistance) without a plug inserted, it's a stereo jack. it will work for this purpose.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Could be, but it's unlikely, considering "Ibanez tend to come with stereo jacks as standard".
I'm off the guitar shop tomorrow to get a 3 way selector switch for my guitar, so I'll take the output in with me and I'm sure they can tell me what it is.
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)
well if you use the stero jack with the mono cable that doesnt do anything but make the ground wire to the bridge connect to it at the cable instead of at the back of the potentiometer which kinda makes sense to me that way it has better contact points and the eletricity has a smoother flow which MAY produce a better sound but im off topic well thanks for the ideas guys
No. EMG's have battery's. To ground the battery you need a stereo jack so you can ground it with your guitar cable. So it's all the same wiring except you have the -ve from the battery connected to the jack so htat it's only using battery's when it's plugged in
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Quote by mikeespace
Hey, I've just received my EMG 81 n 85 for my Ibanez RGT42, but the output jack is way too short to fit though the hole, I've read about the output jack with the EMGs is a stereo output, and i think my old ibanez jack is a stereo, does anyone know for definite if it is, and how to solder it to the EMGs.

Cheers
Mikee

Honestly, I dont get it. Shouldnt your issue be like "way too large/wide... to fit through..."?.

Anyway, keep in mind that the third connection of the EMG jack is used to close the battery circuit so that there is no current drain as long as your guitar is not plugged in. That way you should be able to figure it out

EDIT: which is exactly what ^tomypg has just said
Quote by ProfDrum
Could be, but it's unlikely, considering "Ibanez tend to come with stereo jacks as standard".
unlikely, yes.

but one thing i've learned about Ibanez: never assume anything.
they change the parts they use according to what they get a deal on at the time they purchase them.

Quote by bazuriya
Honestly, I dont get it. Shouldnt your issue be like "way too large/wide... to fit through..."?.

Anyway, keep in mind that the third connection of the EMG jack is used to close the battery circuit so that there is no current drain as long as your guitar is not plugged in. That way you should be able to figure it out

EDIT: which is exactly what ^tomypg has just said
no, it's about the length of the threaded portion.
it mounts through wood, and the wood is thicker than a metal plate.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Well i've given up haha, just been to local guitar shop and i asked about everything and i think it will be cheaper to pay the £35 to fit them then to ruin a £400 guitar. Well thats what i think

-- Actually its it quite easy to do my self, thinkin about it he said i would get guitar back in a WEEK!!! which is a long time for me to go without my guitar. And my dads known about soldering and stuff just looks complicated with the wiring diagrams and i'm still trying to get my head round em lol, would anyone have actual pictures of the wiring as i think it would be easier to see it then with the diagram, on wire on the diagram is spose to be white but on the actuall wire its green????
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)
Last edited by mikeespace at Nov 6, 2008,