I am planning on buying one of the Epi Les Pauls for a backup guitar. (I've already got a nice shredder metal guitar with a FR, but I want a cheap solid bridge guitar that can do metal to blues to jass to funk). Either the Standard or the Standard Plus Top.

My question is about the wood in the body. Some websites say the Standard has a mohagany/alder body, and some say its a solid body. Some websites say the PLUS top is solid mohogany and some say its mohogany/alder.

I wan't to buy the black standard (under $500), but if its worth it, I'd go for the Plus Top (under $650).

If you know about the wood/body of these guitars, let me know please.

Also, any other suggestions would be cool.

Thanks.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
They're made of mahogany, and that I'm pretty sure of.

It's usually the low ends that are made from alder (not that it's a bad wood anyway, but I'm guessing the cut of wood is gonna be a bit rubbish) or hardwood, but yeah.

It's mahogany. The tops maple, if you didn't know.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Cool. Thanks for the response. Do you know if both the standard and the standard PLUS top have the same body? I know the vaneer is different, but how about the actual body?

Thanks again.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
The actual body is the same, the only difference is the flame top on the Plus. They both play identically.