I play a mid-level Jackson (not sure of the actual production code, but I think it was discontinued recently) RR style V, totally stock. This particular model came with cheap, craptastic Korean Invaders (duncan designed, again, not sure of the actual name. detonator comes to mind). I'm playing through a B-52 AT212, an amp that I used to absolutely love but I'm having some problems with it right now. Perhaps the most frustrating is that with my Jackson tuned to B, it sounds like absolute mud. No clarity, no crunch, no life. Just limp, half-assed fuzzy lameness. The strings I've got on it are plenty heavy, I'm using an EB 7 string set of 11s with the high E thrown away.

What do you think, UG? I've heard my whole guitar playing career, and generally lived by the mantra, "get new pickups to make a good tone better". Could it be that my pickups are just that terribly undefined, or do I really need to start looking for a new amp?
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
When you want to downtune that much and stay clear you need very clear pickups. Invaders are grainy and muddy to begin with and "duncan designed" ones are even worse. I think that if you want to tun that low you need new pickups.
Not taking any online orders.
They are really muddy, a friend of mine had the exact same problem. He swapped them out for (*flameshield on*) EMG's, and he found it to help his problem.

I, personally, play in Bflat, so i completely understand your issues. I can't reccomend the 18V mod enough, it's done wonders for my tone. i'd reccommend them to anyone (i have been lately, actually).
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
They are really muddy, a friend of mine had the exact same problem. He swapped them out for (*flameshield on*) EMG's, and he found it to help his problem.

I, personally, play in Bflat, so i completely understand your issues. I can't reccomend the 18V mod enough, it's done wonders for my tone. i'd reccommend them to anyone (i have been lately, actually).

Well, I'll definitely take your advice on swapping them out, but I can't use EMGs. I've been looking at BKP Warpigs a lot lately, I'll probably give them a shot. I don't have to do any routing that way, too.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Quote by cds+stereo=life
Well, I'll definitely take your advice on swapping them out, but I can't use EMGs. I've been looking at BKP Warpigs a lot lately, I'll probably give them a shot. I don't have to do any routing that way, too.

You don't have to do any routing to install EMG's. The pickups are standard humbucker size and the battery can be put in the control cavity. I'm not trying to talk you into getting EMG's but they will fit in your guitar without routing it. From what I've heard the Warpigs are great pickups.
Quote by Øttər
Why can't you use EMGs?

I didn't mean physically unable, I just mean I think they sound bad.
You don't have to do any routing to install EMG's. The pickups are standard humbucker size and the battery can be put in the control cavity. I'm not trying to talk you into getting EMG's but they will fit in your guitar without routing it.

My control cavity is really tiny, it would be the sloppiest thing in the world if I managed to make two 9Vs and casings for them fit in the cavity. Thanks for the tip, though.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Quote by Powerhouse
Quote by cds+stereo=life

I think you will be really unhappy with warpigs. If you think your tone is muddy now... If you are looking at Bare Knuckles then look no further than the Painkiller. If you talk to Tim at BKP I think he will tell you the same thing.
Not taking any online orders.
CorduroyEW is the man to listen to
Maybe get custom wound pickups from him TS?

Also you don't need a case for the battery in the control cavity, just the battery and the hookup wire thing.