I think I let mine sit a while too long, and they get all rusty and stuff. But I do have sweaty hands which doesn't help much. So how about you?
The Walking Dead
I change mine for too much. I don't know why. It ranges from every few weeks to every two months. Usually every month. I've started to slow down, though, as I like the sound of worn in electric strings.
since it's gigging season for me at least every week for three gigs.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
Shit, like twice a year.

Honestly I just keep them in tune. New strings do sound better, but a good guitarist can play a squire with 2 yr. old strings and still wail.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
i change them all whenever i break one, or if they're just old and rank
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
When i break one or every 2.5-3.5 weeks usually
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
i change them when they start to feel nasty. those GBE strings getting rusty really hurts the hand after awhile.
About every three months... And my bass strings every year.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Once per 3 weeks ish. I either like strings new, or very old. I don't like the inbetween where it's starting to rust/corrode.
When I notice that they no longer intonate correctly. If your guitar is set up properly you'll notice the degraded strings as they won't seem to tune up properly anymore and will sound dull. This seems to depend mostly upon how often you play and how well you keep them clean. For me this is about 2 months maximum but I'm not practising as often as I should these days unfortunately.
Moving on.....
Usually, once every month or so. I just got Elixir strings to see how long they will last because I tend to sweat.
My hands sweat pretty bad - I can bung a new set on and I'll have 'em tarnished in 30 mins.

Used to change once a week, then I remembered that years ago I used to use lubricating contact cleaner to remove the tarnish, now I change them once a month and my bank manager is happier.
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
I can sweat pretty badly when playing, but I started using Rotosound Stainless Steel strings. They're a godsend cos they don't corrode, so I can leave them on for aaaages - this current lot are about 4 months old and still play well. I only change strings when I want the feel of fresh ones - you cannot beat the feel and twang of fresh guitar strings.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Quote by Slash42x
I change mine for too much. I don't know why. It ranges from every few weeks to every two months. Usually every month. I've started to slow down, though, as I like the sound of worn in electric strings.

+1
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
2 or 3 weeks. as soon as i start losing volume and tone.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Once a month, but then i change the strings on all 3 of my electrics cause i like my guitars to feel the same, not one with old strings and the other 2 with new sets. I also clean my strings to keep them less tarnished.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
Quote by gizmodious
Shit, like twice a year.

Honestly I just keep them in tune. New strings do sound better, but a good guitarist can play a squire with 2 yr. old strings and still wail.

you must be calling me a good guitarist then

not replaced the strings on my affinity strat for such a long time but it still sounds awesome (and no, i'm not a noob)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
every two to three months, im lazy and I dont do any shows so I dont really need to. Not a big fan of the new string sound either that you get the first few days after changing them.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by quantum leap
I can sweat pretty badly when playing, but I started using Rotosound Stainless Steel strings. They're a godsend cos they don't corrode, so I can leave them on for aaaages - this current lot are about 4 months old and still play well. I only change strings when I want the feel of fresh ones - you cannot beat the feel and twang of fresh guitar strings.

Stainless steel strings will be harder on your frets!!!! (Nothing's free in life)
Frets are generally a nickel alloy and against nickel strings last for years unless you're an animal player. But with the harder SS strings, you could literally wear groves into your frets faster and wear them down overall if you like bending.
Moving on.....
Depends on how often I'm able to play.

I usually go through 2 or 3 sets during the summer holidays (6 weeks with nothing much to do but guitar), but during termtime they usually last half a term at least, if not a whole term.

Of course, this depends on me keeping guitars in their bags.

Also, I rather like the sound of old acoustic strings... Had the present set on my acoustic since last July.
As soon as one breaks, I change the strings.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by KenG
When I notice that they no longer intonate correctly. If your guitar is set up properly you'll notice the degraded strings as they won't seem to tune up properly anymore and will sound dull. This seems to depend mostly upon how often you play and how well you keep them clean. For me this is about 2 months maximum but I'm not practising as often as I should these days unfortunately.

mine never intonate correctly, and i know how im supposed to do it, never figured out what was wrong with my guitar.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by tmfiore
As soon as one breaks, I change the strings.

Why are your strings breaking often?

If I changed my strings every time one broke, I'd have a lot more cash in my pocket....

I change mine when they go "dead" and lose their tone.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
every week
i play a lot
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
it just pops into my head that i need to change strings. every few months i'd say, i don't really have a schedule
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

If I'm in the studio, I change them every week or so, but on just a regular day to day basis, I change them every 4 months or so, and before any big gigs that my band might get.
when they break.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Not enough. But I change 'em alot campared to my guitarist.

He has DRs on his. The silver color has completely worn off of them. They're black now.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
How often do you play? Many have talked about changing strings more often if they are playing gigs on a regular basis. I play about 2-3 weekends per month in a cover band, and I try to change my strings every couple of weeks. I also break a lot of strings and am forced to change them more often than I like. You can tell when you have unresponsive strings...change them accordingly.
usually once they start to not stay in tune anymore
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
yeah, when strings are worn out, its kinda annoying. so i change them.
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
Quote by voodoochyl
How often do you play? Many have talked about changing strings more often if they are playing gigs on a regular basis. I play about 2-3 weekends per month in a cover band, and I try to change my strings every couple of weeks. I also break a lot of strings and am forced to change them more often than I like. You can tell when you have unresponsive strings...change them accordingly.

Was that at me?
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
obviously most of you guys are guitarists.....how often do you know of that you/your bass players change bass strings?
If your not gigging or anything, than every 3-5 months in fine.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.