can u guys tell me what some pros and cons are to teaching yourself guitar?

Rig:
Ibanez GAX 50
Ibanez S 470
Amp:
Ibanez IBZ10G
Effects:
Korg ToneWorks AX3000G Signal Processor
Boss RC-20XL LoopStation
Rocktron Banshee 2
WishList:
Sustainiac Stealth Pro
other then that..
like progress wise how does it affect you?

Rig:
Ibanez GAX 50
Ibanez S 470
Amp:
Ibanez IBZ10G
Effects:
Korg ToneWorks AX3000G Signal Processor
Boss RC-20XL LoopStation
Rocktron Banshee 2
WishList:
Sustainiac Stealth Pro
Well teaching yourself is free but when you teach yourself you miss out on different techneiques that are important to guitar such as hybrid picking, pinch harmonics etc. . .
You get to develop your own style, learning what you want, not what someone else wants. And you can go at your own pace. But 90% of self teachers miss out on theory for a long time.
Pros: It's free, you choose what direction you want take, flexible schedule (LOL).

Cons: Potential for learning bad habits is higher, a lack of instruction may make developement take longer.
Pros:
You can learn what you want, when you want, at your own pace.
Doesn't cost any money.
There's a certain sense of satisfaction from learning somthing without help.

Cons:
You'll invariably pick up a couple bad habits and won't have an experienced instructor to examine your technique.
There's the lack of direction and guidence that an experienced instructor can provide, so you may get a sense of not knowing where to go next.
There are certain things like theory and scales and such that may be more difficult to muddle through on your own, and that you may not feel inclined to learn by yourself (it really is important stuff!)
You don't get to spend as much time loitering in a music shop
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
As someone who's teaching himself at the moment...

- Pros
It's cheaper than lessons, and potentially free if you're not a book-buyer.
I get to go at my own pace.
If I have a really busy week, then there isn't the problem of having not had time to prepare for the next lesson.
If I get a bit bored with a particular thing, I can spend a few days just having some fun with the guitar without feeling guilty for not sticking to the programme.
I'm not obliged to work through a load of lessons relating to a genre I've got absolutely no interest in.

...and, for me, the biggie...

I have no way of knowing the genuine differences between a good and bad teacher. Having assisted a few friends who were struggling at Uni in learning to program (as in, 'a computer'), I've seen what a poor teacher can do to a learner (albiet in a different discipline), and how the learner themselves is incapable of spotting the failings in the teaching due to their lack of experience in the subject area. Without having an experienced, guitar-playing mate, I'd have no-one available to critique the teacher's performance, and so would stand a pretty good chance of being taught poorly without knowing it.

- The Cons
You need plenty of self-motivation, as there's no-one there to pull you along.

It relies heavily on constructive self-criticism. If you're not the sort of person who can take a step back from what they're doing and say "I haven't got that right yet, but I'm going to try and work out why, then solve it myself", then I think self-teaching might be extremely hard.

It takes a degree of planning. A good teacher will plan out a lot of what you should be learning, and the order in which you should be learning it. When self-teaching, you've got to do it yourself. Yes, there are plenty of good books out there, but you've still got to be able recognise when it's time to put that introductory book down, and move on to the next one... and, indeed, what the next one should be.

There's no-one help explain the theory. Okay, theory is a lot less complex than it appears on the surface*, but it's still awkward to get started on. What's more, the basics aren't always directly relevant to what you're trying to do with the guitar at the outset**... but at least some grounding in music theory becomes very desirable pretty quickly. When self-teaching, it's entirely down to your own inquisitiveness to drive you to learn this, and your own inventiveness to apply it to other situations.

... and now the whole "Bad Habits" thing...

For me, I was never more worried about developing bad habits from self-teaching than I was about developing them as a result of using a teacher. Why? Well, as stated earlier, I've got no way of spotting a good teacher from a poor one***, and so would stand a pretty good chance of actually picking up some of the teacher's bad habits. Again, as a self-teacher, you've got to put in the effort to check up on your technique (i.e. read a lot of different material), but I would say it was possible to spot bad habits and do something about them yourself.

* Sorry... no-one will ever convince me that music theory is anything other than a mixture of some basic memory tasks, plus the sort of maths a 6-year old could do, wrapped up in a load of bizarre language purely for historical reasons. Whilst backwards compatability with the 17th century might be nice, it doesn't half do a good job of disguising the actual simplicity of it all.

** By which I mean, there are an awful lot of theory building blocks between the chromatic scale and, say, open major chords.

*** Give me a year or two and I'll be able to. Problem is, it's a bit late by then
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Quote by powerkid89
other then that..
like progress wise how does it affect you?

It doesn't really.

Think about it, everybody teaches themselves. All a teacher does is point you in the right direction and put some kind of structure in place - if you're disciplined and sensible enough to do that for yourself then you can teach yourself no problem.

And +1 to CarpUK about being self critical, being honest with yourself is the most important thing
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I would opt for initial help and supplement it with your own independent study as well. That way you can get the basics, hopefully avoiding any serious bad habits that can impede your progress later but still have the satisfaction of laerning yourself too.
There are tons more recognized instructional materials out there today than when Istarted and to be honest, I think it's made new guitarists progress faster.
Moving on.....
I taught myself, I seen what I was doing wrong by watching my favorite guitarist play on youtube.
I looked at there posture, how they were holding the guitar, what angle they held there hands were at. just everything.
I even thought i was writing my own guitar scales until I looked in a book and seen the exact scale i thought i invented was a penatonic haha..
ive bean hangin out with guys who play guitar so i basicaly learned by watching
if the did something i handnt seen before id just ask what it was and how to do it
so in my opinion the best learning meathod is to get friends who play and tabs off UG
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
one major pro is you can teach yourself at any time of the day

One major con is playing by yourself, there is a lot to be learned when playing with someone else
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all