It's more for guitars, but it means turning the mids down on the EQ and boosting the EQ for bass and treble
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
It makes the bass and treble higher than the mids. Normally the bass and treble will be equal. It is used lots by metal players.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

The advantges to using it are a more dynamic, full sounding tone, but at the same time, without mids you lose alot of "punch". As said above, it's common in metal, but not so much in other genres.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
The problem with scooping mids is that the bass guitar already occupies the bass frequencies, and the cymbals occupy the treble frequencies, so the guitar's voice is mostly in the mids. Scooping them might sound great when you play by yourself but once you add the whole band the guitar disappears, and turning up the volume doesn't help much at all, it just makes your ears hurt. Mids are good.
Not a big fan of scooped mids. My Metal Setup:

Bass:8
Mids:6
Treble:9
Gain:9 (cranked to ten if the riff has squeelies)
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
The mids are just important for being heard as a bassist too. The mids are the frequencies to which the human ear has the greatest sensitivity, as they correspond with the sounds of human vocalizations. Note how if you crank the low mids, you get more "uuuu", a little bit higher more "ohhhhhh", then in the higher mids more "aaaah" and "eeee".
It's not exactly bad. The guitarist in my band does, just not to the extreme.

It creates that "air-getting-sucked-out-of-the-room" brutalness.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?