Page 1 of 2
After reading Molly Ivins' essay "Get A Knife, Get A Dog, But Get Rid Of Guns" for my English class, I decided to make a thread about Gun Control.

Just give your thoughts on it.

I'm not antigun. I am for licensing them, though, as well as restricting their use to presumably sane adults, as well as keeping track of who sells them to whom. I think people who want guns should be subject to the same laws and restrictions as the gun owners in England.
You aren't allowed to own handguns in England.

Shotguns and rifles require a very difficult to obtain license, a very good reason for owning one, heavy restrictions on where and how it is stored and random spot checks from police who can revoke the licenser and confiscate the weapons.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles

Shotguns and rifles require a very difficult to obtain license, a very good reason for owning one, heavy restrictions on where and how it is stored and random spot checks from police who can revoke the licenser and confiscate the weapons.

Damn, thats intense.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
We should collect everyones guns together and dump them in space.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Gun Control.

I find it quite useful.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by The Madcap
I think people who want guns should be subject to the same laws and restrictions as the gun owners in England.

LOL

If UG could decide how to run America, it would join the United Kingdom...
We're only strays.
Quote by Rankles
It was sort of a play on words. Evidently not a very good one, though.....
A common argument is that gun control will lower deadly crime rates, but i find that to be an somewhat unlikely.. Most of the guns that are used for crimes are owned illegally. A boy in my hometown happened to be killed on halloween by a convicted felon with an ak47
There will be quite some America-bashing in this thread, I believe. Meh.

Personally, I think that anybody who says he needs a gun for self defense is batsh*t loco and should be the last to receive a weapon.
Everything's cool though as long as you see guns as what they are; tools designed for certain purposes. For hunting, which is a necessity, or for troops, as sad as that might be.

Weapons are not made for recreational use. However, I can tolerate that, too. I just don't feel comfortable around people who have a device that is made for killing just for fun.

I am very happy to live in a place where practically nobody has a gun, 'cept for the police. And I know that in some countries (Sweden? Norway?) not even the police has guns and yet the country is perfectly safe.

Quote by XgamerGt04
A common argument is that gun control will lower deadly crime rates, but i find that to be an somewhat unlikely.. Most of the guns that are used for crimes are owned illegally. A boy in my hometown happened to be killed on halloween by a convicted felon with an ak47

Do you know where all the illegal guns come from? I'll give you a hint: They were legal at first.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by XgamerGt04

But if there are harsh restrictions on what can be imported into the country and what can be sold legally, it will be much much more difficult to obtain then illegally.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by XgamerGt04

Yep, exactly. That's why gun control laws are pretty much worthless.

Drugs are completely illegal yet we have thousands of overdoses a day. People will find a way to get whatever they want no matter how harsh it is punished.
Quote by TheQuailman

Everything's cool though as long as you see guns as what they are; tools designed for certain purposes. For hunting, which is a necessity, or for troops, as sad as that might be.

Weapons are not made for recreational use.

How can you agree they can be used for hunting yet say they aren't made for recreational use? Hunting these days is a recreational sport.
Last edited by nebiru at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by The Madcap
I think people who want guns should be subject to the same laws and restrictions as the gun owners in England.

I thought you guys loved your independence? Make your bloody mind up.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I know a few people who have assault rifles here. It's ridiculous. WTF

Anyways, I'm cool with handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc.

But who the hell is going to use an assault rifle???? I hope they get banned.
Quote by nebiru
Yep, exactly. That's why gun control laws are pretty much worthless.

They clearly aren't, because we don't have fucking school massacres in England.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by boreamor
There are gun owners in England? I thought that was illegal unless you had a permit for a recreational activity that involved shoothing things?

Someone hasn't seen James Bond.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by rabidguitarist
They clearly aren't, because we don't have fucking school massacres in England.

The entire reason the UK has such tough gun laws is due to a school massacre.
I'm all for owning guns, and my family owns a couple. I really don't see what the problem with registering them, and having stricter ownership laws.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
If gun laws were as relaxed in the UK as they are in America, i would actually fear for my life. Chavs beat people half to death everyday, add to that the knife culture. Easily available guns that we already have and then make them even easier to obtain?
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by nebiru

...And now we don't have school massacres any more. See how this works?

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by nebiru
How can you agree they can be used for hunting yet say they aren't made for recreational use? Hunting these days is a recreational sport.

Do I REALLY need to explain this? Fine, I think it's totally obvious though:
Hunting is a necessity to keep the population of some species down, since we managed to make natural predators go extinct.

Hunting solemnly for sport is is despisable.
Quote by ross1234
If gun laws were as relaxed in the UK as they are in America, i would actually fear for my life. Chavs beat people half to death everyday, add to that the knife culture. Easily available guns that we already have and then make them even easier to obtain?

I agree, knife crime would just be replaced by gun crime, and the UK would be an infinitely more dangerous place. On the plus side, police would be better equipped, but then again Brazilian electricians are fucked. It would be a nightmare, petty crime in the UK is much worse than that in the US.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by nebiru

...and we haven't had more since, have we.

Which just shows that when countries don't have strict gun laws, massacres happen, and then they do, massacres don't happen.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by nebiru

Technically it was more a crazed psycho adult shooting up a primary school rather than a Columbine.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by TheQuailman
Hunting is a necessity to keep the population of some species down, since we managed to make natural predators go extinct.

Population control is done through sport hunting. You contradict yourself.

Quote by Rankles
Technically it was more a crazed psycho adult shooting up a primary school rather than a Columbine.

Yeah, I know.
Quote by ross1234

If they lax the laws and Chavs get guns, all you'd have to do is buy one for yourself.

If everyone had a gun, the world would be a better place. Hell, the government should give you one when you turn 21.

joking
The more things we outlaw, the more things we put into the hands of criminals that will not only still buy them illegally, but sell them illegally as well. I'm not saying we shouldn't crack down on crime or anything, but I think being too strict on guns makes it so the only people who have all of the country's firepower are dangerous criminals who will make even more money by selling them exclusively to others.
We need better background checks on people who buy firearms now, and stricter laws on who can and can't have them, but we can't outlaw them and put that much power into the hands of criminals. Look at the prohibition. That strengthened the mafia and didn't do shit aside from that.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
Quote by TheQuailman

If you kill an animal that is legal to hunt during it's hunting season AND you eat what you kill, I don't see a problem with it.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The more things we outlaw, the more things we put into the hands of criminals that will not only still buy them illegally, but sell them illegally as well. I'm not saying we shouldn't crack down on crime or anything, but I think being too strict on guns makes it so the only people who have all of the country's firepower are dangerous criminals who will make even more money by selling them exclusively to others.
We need better background checks on people who buy firearms now, and stricter laws on who can and can't have them, but we can't outlaw them and put that much power into the hands of criminals. Look at the prohibition. That strengthened the mafia and didn't do shit aside from that.

That's because normal people like alcohol. Your average citizen isn't going to go out and buy an illegal gun unless he plans to use it, in which case he's going to become a criminal anyway.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
That's because normal people like alcohol. Your average citizen isn't going to go out and buy an illegal gun unless he plans to use it, in which case he's going to become a criminal anyway.

Yes, he'd be a criminal for buying an illegal firearm, but that doesn't mean he's going to use it to cap someone.
Quote by nebiru
Population control is done through sport hunting. You contradict yourself.

No, I don't, and I don't see how this is not clear yet.

The fact that people hunt for sport AND to keep the population of animals down is a coincidence. If there were no people interested in hunting, the forest wardens would take care of the matter (they actually do where I live because there are not enough hunters around). That's because it's necessary and therefore perfectly legitimate.

On the other hand, if there was no need to keep the population down, hunting would just be gross. People shooting animals just for lolz. If you are one of these guys, you need to get your head checked.

EDIT: I know this is a poor explanation, but I don't know how to explain this any further than in my last post. I'll try to think of something.
Quote by Vagabond21
Yes, he'd be a criminal for buying an illegal firearm, but that doesn't mean he's going to use it to cap someone.

Why would you go and buy an illegal firearm if you didn't have intent to use it? That'd make you a total moron.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Vagabond21
If you kill an animal that is legal to hunt during it's hunting season AND you eat what you kill, I don't see a problem with it.

Yes, during hunting season is cool with me, because the hunting season serves the purpose of keeping the animal population under control. And if you like eating it, all the better.
I grew up with guns and learned how to respect them. I own guns and am getting my concealed carry permit. I have no plans on ever drawing a weapon on another human being unless they were in my house with intent to harm my family.
Quote by TheQuailman
No, I don't, and I don't see how this is not clear yet.

The fact that people hunt for sport AND to keep the population of animals down is a coincidence. If there were no people interested in hunting, the forest wardens would take care of the matter (they actually do where I live because there are not enough hunters around). That's because it's necessary and therefore perfectly legitimate.

On the other hand, if there was no need to keep the population down, hunting would just be gross. People shooting animals just for lolz. If you are one of these guys, you need to get your head checked.

EDIT: I know this is a poor explanation, but I don't know how to explain this any further than in my last post. I'll try to think of something.

I don't hunt, but I've done it before in the past. When teh America colapsez cuz of obama nd we gotta live off tha land agian, I'll be jsut fin. ::starts singing a country boy can survive::

Quote by TheQuailman
Yes, during hunting season is cool with me, because the hunting season serves the purpose of keeping the animal population under control. And if you like eating it, all the better.

Last edited by Vagabond21 at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by break-me-in
Why would you go and buy an illegal firearm if you didn't have intent to use it? That'd make you a total moron.

If all firearms are illegal, and JimBob decides to buy one to protect his family or to hunt, he's not planning on shooting up the local grocery store.

It's not that hard to understand.
Quote by rabidguitarist
...and we haven't had more since, have we.

Which just shows that when countries don't have strict gun laws, massacres happen, and then they do, massacres don't happen.

It's not that easy, the massacres are results of complicated sociologic (is that the correct term?) problems that developed with years. Blaming it all on guns is just as stupid as blaming it all on video games or tv.
However, the fact that guns are easily available in some places and that their use is considered perfectly normal and is even glorified in said places doesn't help. Therefore: Gun control = good.
Quote by boreamor
Want a reason why guns should be illegal?

Sarah Palin.

It's amazing! She fits in EVERY joke!

I'd like to fit my joke in her.

Page 1 of 2