Page 1 of 2
Today I was talking about the election with my fellow classmates, 19/23 who are McCain supporters. I told them Obama would win and as of last night I was right. So, before I went to lunch I made an Obama '08 sign on a sheet of paper. I carried it with me to show I supported Obama (obviously). Then a teacher comes up and tells me I can't have the sign at school and I was trying to start a fight. I saw this as freedom of speech. She took my sign, ripped it up, threw it away, and wrote me up. Is this legal (quieting my outspoken voice )/right?
what duncan said
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Last edited by billybusa at Nov 5, 2008,
Dude, not even cool. I say it's not, because what about the kids wearing McCain and Obama shirts? I've seen them at my school and they didn't get written up
Yes, its legal, because in school, when you signed the syllabus, you agreed to all school rules

and constitutional rights don't apply in a school. (after you signed the syllabus)
Poop.

Yes, poop.
They were in the right. Clearly you were looking for a response.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by MattAnderson111
Yes, its legal, because in school, when you signed the syllabus, you agreed to all school rules

and constitutional rights don't apply in a school. (after you signed the syllabus)

Sounds about right.
Quote by MattAnderson111

Maybe, but in the school rules it clearly states that a persons opinion will not be suppressed especially with things like religion, etc. People can show what there religion is but not their political views? I see this as wrong.
Quote by cagnius
That's not true.

Exactly, most Constitutional rights don't apply to minors at all, not just in school.
Quote by cagnius
They were in the right. Clearly you were looking for a response.

Yeah exactly, why else would you bring a friggin' sign except to moon your ass at everyone, expecting them to kick it and get in trouble for it. Yeah right, that teacher did the right thing, I'd say.
Quote by cagnius
That's not true.

It is, in the United States anyway. We are told countless times that school authority overrides certain constitutional rights.
i dont believe i signed my sillaylleallaliehlalabus... i believe i printed my name like a first grader lol.. and that is wrong, but the siluhllls....f**k it, does take all your rights away, and provides you with new ones
Quote by Bucketheadroolz
i dont believe i signed my sillaylleallaliehlalabus... i believe i printed my name like a first grader lol.. and that is wrong, but the siluhllls....f**k it, does take all your rights away, and provides you with new ones

Your parents signed it on your behalf.
Terms and Conditions apply.
I can see wearing a shirt, but if you made a sign, then you were looking for a response of sorts.
You were quite clearly looking to get a reaction. Hell, you started off the story by pointing out most of your class are McCain supporters, and you're just out to rub it in their faces. The teacher definitely did the right thing.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
and then people wonder why minors dont care about politics or dont know anything about our country....i hate teacher's attitude toward students.

unfortunately, it legal.....but totally not right
you were looking for a response. you were being an a$$hole and you know it so stop complaining.

my roommates did the same thing last night. they knew i was a huge mccain supporter and decided that it would be a good idea to throw a huge party for Obama and not tell me about it until everyone started coming. it really pissed me off in my drunken state.
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
Last edited by fallingforever at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by JakdOnCrack
You don't lose your constitutional rights when you're in school. How can you even think that?

Ummm....yeah you do....
I guess it is cause i had my McCain sticker and button taken
Fight the war, fuck the norm
Now I got no patience
So sick of complacence
With the D the E the F the I the A the N the C the E
Mind of a revolutionary
So clear the lane
...Whoever told you that is your enemy?
There are several reasons why violations of student rights are upheld by the courts. One of the most basic reasons is known as in loco parentis. This Latin phrase basically means that while a student is in the custody of a school, the school can and often should act as a parent. In this duty of the school, many decisions can be made that are outside the normal governmental purview. The other basic reason for violation of student rights has to do with the goal of school - to educate. If an act of a student can interfere with the educational process, that act may, in many cases, be suppressed.
in school they can tell you what you can and can't have. If they said you cannot have the Obama sign: you can't have it. You do not have free speech in school, go in there and say "Your all a buch of ****ing ****ers! I hope you all get raped and I hope your ****ing parents die in a big **** off car fire!" Then you'll see how much freedom of speech you have in school real quick.

Plus, if all your friends were for Mcain and you were touting around an Obama poster after he won, that's a dick move. I can see why they thought you were trying to start a fight.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
they can take away your rights in school. theres really nothing you can do. you have to do what they say. at least thats what they tell me...0_0

and i am SICK of all the black students walking around the halls with their hands above their heads in the shape of an "O" shouting "OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA!!!"
the worst part is, they dont know ANYTHING about politics or ANYTHING about Obama's views.
Last edited by !normajean! at Nov 5, 2008,
Your teacher just pissed because McCain loss.

But yes, it's legal for a school to do that.
Unconstitutional, in most cases, in a School evironment no. I don't get how you were trying to start a fight though. Although at my school it would probably Inciting a Riot. I was going to bring an Obama sign to a Clinton rally earlier in the year. But I decided that was a bad idea. Either way, I had to go anyway, it was the worst decision I ever made, it was a bunch of people screaming for a bitch I hated. I stood in the back and yelled Obama 08. Only one person heard me. He shook his head.

Shall I ramble further?
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Quote by coryklok
Today I was talking about the election with my fellow classmates, 19/23 who are McCain supporters. I told them Obama would win and as of last night I was right. So, before I went to lunch I made an Obama '08 sign on a sheet of paper. I carried it with me to show I supported Obama (obviously). Then a teacher comes up and tells me I can't have the sign at school and I was trying to start a fight. I saw this as freedom of speech. She took my sign, ripped it up, threw it away, and wrote me up. Is this legal (quieting my outspoken voice )/right?

It's legal, but it's only semi-justifiable. Her justification, while it can't be effectively argued against, is in effect, wrong. In order to prove her wrong, she'd have to let you wait out the whole time you planned on carrying the sign. If she says 'you're trying to start a fight' then she can say she was keeping the peace. While she can't prove that you were trying to start a fight, you can't prove her wrong.

Freedom of speech can be limited, and constitutional rights do not carry over into a school setting. School attendance is compulsory by power of the government. You are in their building, under their rules, which they can bend (to a certain extent). At least you understand your constitutional rights. Wait till you're in the real world. That's when exercising your rights actually matters.
No it is not legal. If it is a public school then they are government funded, meaning the government is suppressing your F.O.S. here are some websites that may be helpful, I haven't read over them, but I know they deal with student rights.
http://www.aclu.org/studentsrights/index.html
http://www.splc.org/
Keep in mind you're also a minor. You are still a dependent of your parents. Your constitutional rights can absolutely be limited until it gets to the point of you being either neglected, abused, or both. Unless your health and safety are at risk, your rights can be suppressed in school, home, etc.
totally legal. It disturbs the learning environment.

A shitty sign is an obvious plea of attention. Since you resisted the teacher, there was perfect reason to write you up.

Don't be such an ass next time.
Quote by coryklok
yes.

Schools in the US have the authority to dictate your actions, behaviour, dress, and yes ... even your speech.

too many little maggots have played the "freedom of speech" card when they wanted to cause a fuss. the pendulum has swung the other way. you have all the freedom of speech you want. on your own time.

UKers, don't even bother trying to equate UK laws with US laws.
they simply aren't the same.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
actually, that really isn't legal as long as you werent being disruptive, but are you willing to sue the school over it?

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
yes.

Schools in the US have the authority to dictate your actions, behaviour, dress, and yes ... even your speech.

too many little maggots have played the "freedom of speech" card when they wanted to cause a fuss. the pendulum has swung the other way. you have all the freedom of speech you want. on your own time.

UKers, don't even bother trying to equate UK laws with US laws.
they simply aren't the same.

Actually you do have all of your constitutional rights in school as long as they are not deemed disruptive. and the school has to prove in court that it is disruptive if you bring it to court.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by cagnius
Your parents signed it on your behalf.

they signed their name, but my name was never signed so...... it still doesnt matter
Quote by Bucketheadroolz
they signed their name, but my name was never signed so...... it still doesnt matter

While you are a minor, your signature is means next to nothing. The parent signs on your behalf, and is considered legally binding, even if you were not the actual signer.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
i think it only applies to the US Government, for freedom of speech. Otherwise the pit would be like /b/
it was the right thing to do. Whether or not you like it, it could have provoked a response from someone else. She didn't necessarily do it to spite you, she did it to protect you if anything.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by ling_yu
i think it only applies to the US Government, for freedom of speech. Otherwise the pit would be like /b/

yeah, but public schools are extension of the US Government, which is why there is such a big fuss about the pledge of allegiance and creationism and all that.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Page 1 of 2