we already went over alive by pearl jam, and sweet child o mine (minus the solos). He wanted me to pick a new song this week but im not sure what would be the next best step. He recommended something by weezer or red hot chili peppers, but I can't really find a song by them that I would find too interesting, except for say it ain't so by weezer (which i already know how to play) or suck my kiss by RHCP (which may be too hard, not sure though)

any good suggestions?
Get him to teach you properly. He should be teaching you theory and technique, you can learn songs on your own once you know those.

That being said, Suck my Kiss is stupidly fun to play if you can get it down.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
we already do that stuff. He goes over scales and chords and what not, and teaches me how to read music. But he always like to wrap up the last 10 minutes with a song that I pick.

edit: okay i guess I'll try suck my kiss. Do you think its really hard?
Under the Bridge?
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
i'd actually go for some nirvana. not mainstream stuff like teen spirit, thats far too easy, even my cousin can play that and he's 4. maybe come as you are or their version of the man who sold the world.

but if ya want to learn a chillis song i'd go for can't stop or under the bridge.

but whatever you wanna learn you go for.
Man Who Sold the World would be really cool, good for barre chords and ascending scale runs. Maybe try Pendulous Skin by Mastodon, at least the acoustic intro, which is really cool-sounding i think. Or Dont Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult, its pretty fun as well.
Quote by wisdom_cube
okay i guess I'll try suck my kiss. Do you think its really hard?

Personally I find Suck My Kiss to be really easy to play but I have no idea how good you are so what that means I don't know. Try it, as long as you've got a good sense of rhythm you should find the riffs quite easy.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
can't stop by the chilis
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Pick a song you enjoy. If he's asking you to pick songs, he wants you to pick the ones that will give you more of an interest in the instrument. Disregard difficulty for the most part (obviously you won't be learning any Yngwie Malmsteen in 10 minutes), and choose somthing that really gets you fired up. You'll enjoy the challenge more and you'll get a real sense of accomplishment when you can bust out that favorite song whenever you feel like it.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play