What the title said; do you attach genders to instruments, as a whole or specific instruments?

For example, I consider drums masculine, but guitars can be either gender - spiky ones I see as male, pretty ones (strats, LPs, etc) as feminine.

So, Pit, do you think along the same lines or am I a lunatic?
I don't.
But back in the day, people attached genders (and still use them in other languages like german- english "the" is german as die is female, das is neutral, and der is masculine) and some people refer to boats and cars as 'she' sometimes.
no, girl drummers are some of the sexiest things you can offer to me....well not exactly things.....
I get where you're comin from, I remember when i found out one of my mates (A girl) started playin drums and blastin out some pretty rockin beats i was like:
"GIRL+DRUMS=WTF?!"

I always associate bass with girls for some reason, which is weird cause I play bass too, No offence male bassists out there
Despite their phallic shape, I consider bassoons to be feminine... because they're evil!
It's always female, regardless what instrument...
My Red SG is a girl but is named Crimson Rain..
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
Guitars are feminine...
Leads are masculine...

seewhatididthere?
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Quote by MopMaster
I was actually talking about the instruments themselves, not the people playing them... =P

yea kidna funny i was thinking this the whole time i read through the comments
all of my guitars are ladies and they all have their own names. Marilyn, Audrey, Melfina, Vera, Lola, Rianna, Ivy, Nessie, Bertha, and Alexandra. I am such a pimp...
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by SmashThings
Guitars are feminine...
Leads are masculine...

seewhatididthere?

my tele is called love (even duct taped it on the back) despite a mr happy sticker between the pick ups.

my new classical is named theresa (after a sonic youth song) despite having nothing to do with it.

i generally see any guitar as female, unless it's just a macho guitar, then it's obviously male.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Quote by Trefellin
Despite their phallic shape, I consider bassoons to be feminine... because they're evil!

Given the lack of smilies or other indications of sarcasm I can only assume you're serious. My guess is you tried to play bassoon and failed utterly, because evil is one thing I would never label the bassoon.
That said, a friend of mine did name her bassoon Jezebel...
I tend to judge the gender by specific instrument, not all of that instrument. Some guitars are masculine, some are feminine. It's a tonal thing. Same for other instruments, though the flute and violin are forever feminine to my ears...
My bassoon is female, her name is Alice. Not sure what gender my guitars are. My old electric is a female with a really high shrill voice Hate that bitch of a guitar...
Last edited by Nightfyre at Nov 5, 2008,
what's a basoon?
anyway depends on your gender and sexuality and the type of instrument and how it looks.
Quote by fudger
*waits for Xiaoxi*

*Looks at my gear list where violin is clearly stated*
Well, in languages such as Portuguese and other latin languages there isn't a neutral pronoun. So, let's say, a guitar is referred to in the feminine, the drums and flute as well, the violin, cello and piano in the masculine.

Oh, and the bass is a guy unless you say bass guitar
Last edited by Whiskky at Nov 5, 2008,
my guitars have souls. but no definable gender.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by jimmyled
what's a basoon?
anyway depends on your gender and sexuality and the type of instrument and how it looks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassoon

That second pic, the guy on the left is holding a contrabassoon (sounds an octave lower than bassoon, much like the relationship between bass and guitar). You can only see about half of it though. I dislike the sound examples on wikipedia for various reasons, so take them with a grain of salt. I promise you've heard the bassoon before so many times though, it's quite common in movie soundtracks and commercials, etc. Lots of great solos too. It's kind of hard to play, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
I'll put up some pics and maybe sound clips in my profile this weekend, I need to update it anyway.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

No.

Still has input socket...
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
My acoustic is a lady. She's curvy and pretty and I can pour my soul out through her.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I consider my Iceman a tranny.
An extremely sexy tranny
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
all instruments are ladies and you must give them a name to show them the respect that ladies deserve.

i've got mary, lucy, adrian, brunhilde, and dirty bitch
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Quote by apothecarrie
all guitars, including bass, are feminine.

then a bass would be a fat girl.

it depends, my guitar is a she.

anyways, in spanish guitar is female, you say "la guitarra" and cars are masculine "el carro"

all instruments are ladies and you must give them a name to show them the respect that ladies deserve.

i've got mary, lucy, adrian, brunhilde, and dirty bitch

but that is a male name
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
no
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by magnum1117
then a bass would be a fat girl.

it depends, my guitar is a she.

anyways, in spanish guitar is female, you say "la guitarra" and cars are masculine "el carro"

but that is a male name

It's both. Ever watch Rocky?
"ADRIAAANN!!!"