0 0%
Xotic BB preamp
8 28%
Maxon od-808
10 34%
Other (tell me which one)
11 38%
Voters: 29.
Alright, so I need to know, Xotic BB preamp or the Diamond J-drive mark3.
OR///
suggest a different one.

I play classic rock, metal occasional, lots of clean/dirty clean, blues, newer rock
Price doesn't matter as long as it's not like $300. lol. The cheaper the better though!!!

What I want to do with it:
- Boost my clean channel to get dirty cleans without having to turn my amp up.
- Overdrive my dirty channel to metal tones (preferrably modern)
- Get a different flavour of overdrive outta my classic 30 for different songs, etc.
- Use as a boost for solo's and different parts of songs where I might add a chorus and want a boost in with it to fatten it up.

Xotic BB preamp $186 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt8h_r_DIUk&feature=related

Diamond J-drive mark 3 $219 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2q-SFEROjg

Or suggest a different one

EDIT: I mean classic metal stuff like maiden, metallalica and 80's metal. Possibly modern but probably not as my amp is classic voiced.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Nov 5, 2008,
using an OD pedal on your amps "dirty" chanel wont sound good, you certainly wont get a modern metal tone for that, get a nice disortion pedal and use on your clean chanel, and use a separate OD pedal for boost to get that dirty rock tone...

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I would suggest the Blackstar HT-Drive, i own one, it's just great, very versatile, gives you a very nice creamy tube overdrive. Try it out somewhere.

It won't do modern metal if you're amp isn't up to it as it is.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Quote by Tyler Durden
using an OD pedal on your amps "dirty" chanel wont sound good, you certainly wont get a modern metal tone for that, get a nice disortion pedal and use on your clean chanel, and use a separate OD pedal for boost to get that dirty rock tone...

I'm not going for modern metal, sorry I wasn't specific enough.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by Tyler_Durden

since when is using an OD on an amp's dirty channel not good sounding? it will certainly not sound bad unless he has terrible EQing skills. if you mean that it wont sound like a good MODERN metal tone, then i see what you're trying to say. but yea, his kinda metal will be attained through an OD pedal for sure.

and i recommend the Fulltone Fulldrive II. i love mine!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
since when is using an OD on an amp's dirty channel not good sounding? it will certainly not sound bad unless he has terrible EQing skills. if you mean that it wont sound like a good MODERN metal tone, then i see what you're trying to say. but yea, his kinda metal will be attained through an OD pedal for sure.

and i recommend the Fulltone Fulldrive II. i love mine!

Damn, that's what I was gonna suggest. I don't know how well it boosts for metal (I'd assume well, if you have an 18 volt adapter it has tons of headroom), but it does the dirty cleans and crunch awesome. This is the only OD pedal I've used that actually sound good with the gain turned up, which amazed me.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin_Saale
Damn, that's what I was gonna suggest. I don't know how well it boosts for metal (I'd assume well, if you have an 18 volt adapter it has tons of headroom), but it does the dirty cleans and crunch awesome. This is the only OD pedal I've used that actually sound good with the gain turned up, which amazed me.

yea, but i don't know if it's my blackheart or what, but i always have the tone knob almost on full b/c if i don't, it's not enough bite...works just like a guitar's tone knob really which i love.

oh, and i'll let you know how it boosts for metal whenever i get my RM50 back from U.S. Music Corp....just sent it off a couple hours ago!!! :d yay!! i'm so f*ckin' stoked about getting it back!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
The BB preamp is the smoothest, most articulate OD pedal I've come across. True aural sex.
It's like the best sounding old school Marshall amp, cranked loud, and turned into a pedal. Completely clean boost at one end of the gain knob, crazy saturation at the other.
I really, really like the MAB overdrive by T-REX. Its kind of pricey, but you are looking at boutique stuff anyway.

Other than that, I would try to find an original grey DOD 250 overdrive, or have a reissue modified for about $100.

The ones you picked out are great too, but I just prefer these^
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Earthquaker Crimson Drive
You should check out the Barber Burn unit (2 channel). Boutique quality pedal with 2 channels. Its described somewhere between a distortion and overdrive but I see more as an overdrive. Would be great for getting the boost you said you wanted (channel one) and can push your amp hard plenty of gain on tap (channel two). I should note that channel one and two are identical as far as gain volume, etc, but most people would set them up in that sequence.
Quote by Tyler Durden

lolwut.....

Seriously, an OD on a dirty channel will put him up to lead tone quality, also... a distortion on any clean channel usually sounds like ass.....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
lolwut.....

Seriously, an OD on a dirty channel will put him up to lead tone quality, also... a distortion on any clean channel usually sounds like ass.....

Depends.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Damn you. OCD wins

I actually was going to add the OCD to that list, as I enjoyed playing through it a lot. But I thought it was more of a distortion it had so much gain

Well I'm going to try and seek out a bunch of these pedals sometime soon, any more I should add to my list to try??

EDIT: as if I'm not on this "who to listen to" list... I'm heartbroken GG&A... Just because I haven't been regularly posting in the last month or so.... I guess I'll have to start up again
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by mcrfobtai
The Fulldrive is pretty nice

I never got to try it when I was at some boutique shop in ottawa. I was playing with the OCD waiting for some other guy to finish with the fulldrive, but he kept playing... so I left.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
If you're looking for an overdriven tone (NOT A BOOST) I recommend the Ibanez TS-9 clones, not the actual ibanez TS9.

The 808 clones tend to be more transparent and act more like a boost than drive tone.

Maxon is my favorite brand of overdrive. They are readily available and well priced. The OCD has an excellent drive tone as well. It tends to clean up better too if you want to use it as a boost.

When it comes to boutique overdrive's it's not about how much gain headroom they have, but how clean and transparent they can get.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by tombo32
Check out the Hermida Zendrive.

First post with new avatar

never heard/seen it before, looks interesting!
Quote by MESAexplorer
If you're looking for an overdriven tone (NOT A BOOST) I recommend the Ibanez TS-9 clones, not the actual ibanez TS9.

The 808 clones tend to be more transparent and act more like a boost than drive tone.

Maxon is my favorite brand of overdrive. They are readily available and well priced. The OCD has an excellent drive tone as well. It tends to clean up better too if you want to use it as a boost.

When it comes to boutique overdrive's it's not about how much gain headroom they have, but how clean and transparent they can get.

I agree completely, I really enjoyed the maxon od808 when I tried it, and I may just go that route.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by tombo32
Unfortunately I don't think you can try them before you buy them. Not 100% though.

To get one you need to go on a waiting list (I've heard its about 2 months).

http://www.hermidaaudio.com/products.html

ouch... see if I'm dropping 200 bucks on an OD, I wanna try it before hand.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
ouch... see if I'm dropping 200 bucks on an OD, I wanna try it before hand.

Yeah I don't blame you. Though I have a (bad) habit of buying things without trying them before hand .
Quote by tombo32
Yeah I don't blame you. Though I have a (bad) habit of buying things without trying them before hand .

well I guess I'm one to talk I bought both my pedals and one of my guitars without trying them.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I think its ok to not try before you buy if you do your research and you know what it sounds like and you know all the pros and cons etc. Its obviously not as good as trying it in a store, but sometimes that option isn't possible.
For me, it is between the Maxon OD808 and the Xotic BB Preamp from that list. Other boutique pedals that you should look into are the T-Rex Alberta Overdrive, T-Rex Moller Overdrive, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive,Visual Sound Route 66, Double Trouble and Jekyll and Hyde, and the Crowther Audio Hotcake. My favorite out of all of these is the T-Rex Alberta overdrive.
Last edited by bogg808 at Nov 7, 2008,