I'm trying to write a song based on a riff devised in band practise, and I'm stuck for a chord sequence. Problem is, we need an energetic chorus sequence and a dramatic brige sequence, with solo in either relative minor key or parallel minor.
How do you devise a simple chord sequence, but more importantly, how do you smoothly change key from major to minor? And would it be better to change to relative minor or parallel for dramatic effect?

Excuse my gross lack of theory knowledge; I just about know how to imply a mode or alternative scale through using chords, but that's the best thing I know, and I don't know much about that, either.
Well, one way to come up with a simple cord sequence is to just write a simple single note sequence and turn that into basic chords, and then from there mess around with 7/sus4 etc to get the cound you want.

I'm not that experienced in key changes, but it may help to have the last chord in the original key ,and the first chord in the next key, in key with each other, if that makes sense.
Inhuman evil take down!
Try to find a chord or chords that key you're changing from and to have in common.
For example, let's say your 1st riff is in the key of Em. Your chords are; Em,F#dim.,G,Am,Bm,C, and D. The key you're changing to is A major; A,Bm,C#m,D,E,F#m, and G#dim. As you can see both scales have Bm and D in common.
Without knowing what keys you're using, I can't tell you what your options are.
One good way to change key is to change the tonic chord into a dominant 7th, therefore leading into a different tonic chord.

Or for a really dramatic key change, when you doing the second repeat of the chorus at the end, shift the key up two semitones. Don't bother arranging a smooth transition, just go straight into the new key. Ala cheesy power ballads
I just found a fantastic chord progression for a climactic solo, I.E. comfortably numb. It's in C# Minor, relative minor of E major.
How do I go about changing my upbeat E major song to a slow C# minor solo as smoothly as I can? Do relative keys share the same chord scales as well?
Alot of times, not smooth IS dramatic.

Pink floyd is masters of key change from minor to major in solo's to great effect.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Alot of times, not smooth IS dramatic.

Pink floyd is masters of key change from minor to major in solo's to great effect.

I agree completely. But, Comfortably Numb is very smooth, and that's massively dramatic. That's the effect I'm going for. Anyone know the mechanics of the key change in that song? Which two keys, etc.
Quote by Rock Pig
I agree completely. But, Comfortably Numb is very smooth, and that's massively dramatic. That's the effect I'm going for. Anyone know the mechanics of the key change in that song? Which two keys, etc.

http://www.box.net/shared/j7p66k1etz

I just improvised, of course with a good band it flows far better this is just random loops together. But you get the Idea

IT's same key (E-major) but the tonal keycentre changes as well as my approach that's why the solo section sounds bluesier/minor and the first section sounds "hannah montana" happy.

First progression is : Emaj-F#major-Amaj

The half time section = C#minor/Asus2/Bmaj

the 3rd tapping thing i don't have a clue lol i just hit random stuff.

Just take basic progression and build suspense. Like keep a drum track with only a hihat and rimclick for the major part and then full drums for the solo section. OR synths at the solo section. Or full drums on major section and at the minor section only synths and guitar etc. I can name 100 things, just be creative

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by xxdarrenxx

Well.
Looks like I don't need a complex chord sequence at all to change the key effectively. Thanks. I was going to say changing tempo at the same time would be a problem, but I figure I'll change tempo a little earlier.

Meh.
Elaborate key change methods: worth it?
Quote by Rock Pig
Well.
Looks like I don't need a complex chord sequence at all to change the key effectively. Thanks. I was going to say changing tempo at the same time would be a problem, but I figure I'll change tempo a little earlier.

Meh.
Elaborate key change methods: worth it?

I don't change key In that little thing. IT's all in E. I just use different modes. (i use relative major/minor here, not a Key change)

For key changes minor/major (chord substitution) check out the verse by Radiohead - creep. Or the Solo from Repentenance from the Systematic Chaos album by john petrucci (dream theater)

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??