So I'm in the market for a distortion pedal, i have a v33-212 and it's got great cleans but the distortion is only really great for low level stuff (jazzy/blues-ish) and then more of a classic rock sound. It doesn't sound like distortion on the gain channel, more like a fuzz, which can be useful, but I want actual distortion.

I was looking at the metal muff which seemed like it would be great except I heard that it can only really do heavy metal. This would definitely be a major use of the pedal, however I want a wide range of tones to choose from, I'm still in the early stages of my playing so I don't want to be limited as I explore different stuff.

I had looked at the Jekyll and Hyde before and it's been recommended to me on the forums before so I decided to get some more info. I searched some videos on youtube and it seems to have a really nice overdrive/distortion but I haven't seen it get too heavy (trivium, all that remains kind of stuff). I was wondering If it could do this sort of stuff at its heaviest and whether or not what I heard about the metal muff being limited to really heavy stuff was correct.

Thanks in advance!
JWD
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Try the Big Muff Pi
It's the Metal Muff's classic rock brother, while I'll doubt it has the metal power the Metal Muff possesses, it does enhance your OD by quite a lot, making those bends kinda have that distorted blues howls you can hear. Actually I'm not good at explaining sounds but check it on youtube. Around 70$ the Reissue(get it over the normal one $60ish or the old one $50ish)

Hope it helped.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Well what i have now actually sounds like a slightly less fuzzy version of the big muff so i need sort of the opposite end of the spectrum, thanks though.
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
I think you'll like the Metal Muff.

Personally, I love the ZVex Box of Metal, but at $200 for the Vexter, it might be too much.
Yeah I don't wanna spend quite that much, the metal muff was a good price and had good sound so it caught my eye, the jekyll and hyde looks nice but its 150 sooo

But yeah, the metal muff is fairly versatile?
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
It'll do lower-gain metal just dandy, I dunno about your crazy ass metal though.

I just listened to the demo, and it seems a bit lacking in the low-end for the crazy shit.

Go test one out though, that's the only way you'll really figure it out.
Last edited by Mitchell? at Nov 5, 2008,
yeah well im going to GuitarCenter and Samash this weekend, i just wanted to get an opinion before checking things out so i didn't just get caught up in the excitement
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
I'd get the Jekyll and Hyde personally, or at least the Son Of Hyde which is just the distortion part of the J&H.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
id get the J&H
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
can it do heavy metal? I can't find a clip/video
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Yeah I watched that but it didn't get too heavy, i mean what that had sounded great but I want to be able to do stuff like trivium, all that remains, more modern, heavy metal. I couldnt understand what the guy in the video was saying but it didn't seem like it got really intense
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
this one a little better? it's the V2 actually prob what's out there now anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC0ALN6yobM&feature=related

i cant say 100% if it'll be what you want on Your amp, which is why i'm being vague.

but my MM is ok just not great, imo. i liked the JnH better thru the few amps i got to try it thru.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Yeah i mean I gotta try em out, i just like to get a lot of different opinions/comments before going into things so i know what to look for/watch out for, I've looked at most videos and its kinda hard to tell, what don't you like about your MM?
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
If you want to do stuff like Emarosa(referring to your avatar haha), you'll need a ton of gain. The metal muff will do well in that aspect, but I have had trouble cutting into the mix with it. I own an MI Audio Crunchbox and I think it's loads better than an MM. It has more gain than you'll ever need and is incredibly versatile.

Have you ever thought of modding your v33, though? Some people have done it and they got great results. You can also look into an OD pedal that will boost the gain on your v33.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
I think that the J&H is very versatile, however it isn't particularly high gain. I mostly use mine for the overdrive.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
JWD, the MM is sort of nu-metal a little more natural thru tube amps, but even still hard to dial down, and the top boost is pretty unusable.

but for $88, and thru the right amp, it's good.

the JnH seems more versatile for everyday use, more natural, more crisp, but maybe not as in ur face as you'll want especially thru the V-33.

this is mostly speculative as i havent even tried the V series.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

You're pretty spot on jenny - I own one of the v-series and a J&H is a much better option with it. The MM is just too much for me, and consequently sounds pretty bad with any tube overdrive (to me at least) - I've never been able to dial it down to anything less than metal, so with the price you sacrifice versatility.
^ ok then it's not just me.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I have the Jekyll and Hyde and I would definately recommend it. It is probably not heavy enough for what you are looking for though. The Jekyll side is basically the Ibanez TS-808 which will get you close to the SRV or Santana type sound maybe. The Hyde side is similar to the Boss DS-1 which is great for hard rock, but not so much for hardcore metal. If you are looking for something brutal and cheap check out the H&K Warp. It is on final clearance at MF for $29. Very brutal. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hughes-Kettner-Warp-Factor-NuMetal-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150908
Yeah i mean like i said it sounds like the distortion and overdrive are great, I'm just not sure if I can get those high gain settings I'm after. Is there another pedal that I should be looking at thats versatile and isnt a financial backbreaker? Are any of the like 7 boss one's any good?
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Last edited by JWD32792 at Nov 6, 2008,
Of course, Jekyll and Hyde is better than the Metal Muff, it costs a lot more. You get what you pay for.

My suggestions:
Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion (very versatile)
MI Audio Crunch Box (Marshall tone)
Keeley-modded ProCo RAT (but don't get a RAT 2 from ProCo)
Yeah see the problem I'm having is finding something with a full range of distortion, either I get t3h br00talz or something that can do right up, but not actually do metal/metalcore
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
You might want to check out the new Digitech Harewire TL-2 distortion pedal. The samples on Digitech's site sound really good, and from what I understand, you can dial the gain back quite a bit.
It looks nice, has a good sound but it seems a little like a boutique version of the metal muff or metal zone. There's gotta be a pedal that can do that AND mid-range distortion
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Yeah I've looked at all the bosses. Sounded nice but once again, I'm looking for that range from just normal like midrange, punk, classic metal/shred tone all the way to metalcore and i cant seem to find one, although it could just be my ear
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
So I was just fiddling with my amp and it actually does get pretty heavy, like just under metal, would an overdrive most likely kick it into like metalcore gain or should i just get a normal distortion pedal and give it some boost?
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Yes^^^

If there was a pedal that did it all we'd all have one. The J&H will give you your OD and Distortion so its sounds like what your after.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
Quote by JWD32792
Yeah i mean like i said it sounds like the distortion and overdrive are great, I'm just not sure if I can get those high gain settings I'm after. Is there another pedal that I should be looking at thats versatile and isnt a financial backbreaker? Are any of the like 7 boss one's any good?

If you watched the video, you'd see that he was just playing the pedal through a 12 o'clock clean channel. Use your amps gain channel, with the overdrive on top of that. Then you also have the distortion you can use with your clean channel, so you don't need to fuss with the gain on your amp mid-set if you don't want to.
yeah I'll mess with it, thanks guys
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
^ How can you can compare the Jekyll and Hyde to a DS-1? The JH actually sounds good, very organic, and honestly its sounds like a tube amp Dist. in many ways. TS give the Jekyll and Hyde a shot, it has more gain than your V-33, really its gainy IMO check out this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC0ALN6yobM
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6