Page 1 of 2
I recently started getting jazz lessons after finally finding a qualified teacher and as it turns out, my teacher is in a metal band and has played with such bands as Martyr, Quo Vadis, Unexpect, Cephalic Carnage, Dimmu Borgir, etc.

Yea, go figure. I wasn't expecting that much, but the approach surprised me. It's a jazzy/tech death approach quite similar to what Martyr are doing, except with cleans/proper growls. Also, the chick does both the growls and cleans.

New song out just recently, and new a full length coming out on the 2nd of January.

Anyways, you decide. I thought it was catchy and well done throughout. I suggest listening to all 3 songs to get a taste for the music. The new one, Eternal Pull is probably the most varied one that doesn't rely as much on a vocal hook, while Constant and Devolve rely more on those catchy riffs/vocal hooks. And by catchy, I mean in a tech death sort of fashion like Martyr can be. Also, look out for the awesome solo on Devolve.

www.myspace.com/thegreatcollapse
I've found Jesus
ah they were formed from archeon's break up, i've seen them a few times years ago
good stuff
My sig is better than yours
Sick sick stuff. I really like. congrats on finding a good teacher too. Canada has been good to us, regarding this stuff.
Last edited by diminishedtobme at Nov 6, 2008,
If anyone wants the entire album by the way, I can provide it in mp3 format on mediafire. You won't find it anywhere else unless you plan on buying it (which I of course, completely endorse and suggest you do if you enjoy it.)

11 tracks of pure awesome. For fans of Meshuggah, Gojira, Martyr and other stuff that doesn't sound anything like those three bands. I've given the album many spins and it definitely has a little bit of everything. Really killer death metal inspired straightforward tracks with lots of syncopation and a Meshuggah-like sense of rhythm as well as cleans and clean vocals.

Anyways, anyone can post here/PM me if they want it. It's become one of my modern favourites.

Also, if you have any questions for Luke (the guitarist for this band and the dude who wrote 99% of the material) then you can leave questions here.
I've found Jesus
I think your teacher made a thread on the band here a few days ago.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Lappo
I'll give it a spin. CD-rip in 320?

Done in 320. PM'd you.

Quote by Cianyx
I think your teacher made a thread on the band here a few days ago.

Indeed. And nothing wrong with a little shameless self-promotion.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Apr 14, 2009,
Great stuff!

There are a lot of great bands in Toronto that I had no idea about until very recently. Such a great metal scene out here.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I've passed up a chance to see these guys a few times. I wish I hadn't.
Last edited by Inimical at Apr 14, 2009,
Woah, conservationist, you don't completely dislike a metal band that's not from the early 90s?!

Are you going soft on us?

;_;

Anyway

What's the best way to classify this band, d'yathink, Contraband? Progressive Death Metal? Or more complex, perhaps? I tend to go balls out with my 'genre' classifications for bands- it's not uncommon for me to use many slashes for genre fusions and/or descriptive adjectives (atmospheric, technical, progressive, etcetc).

Gonna give it a listen soon.

editz: that was pretty good, imo. Vocals are definitely a highlight, the compositions seemed quite interesting and varied. Will listen to it again sometime, certainly
Last edited by Lappo at Apr 14, 2009,
Quote by Lappo

What's the best way to classify this band, d'yathink, Contraband?

For ease, just Extreme Progressive Metal. To go more specific, I'm not really sure. Whatever you'd call a mix of Meshuggah, Martyr, Gojira and some jazz sensibilities throw in when it comes to composition (and hell knows what else). I don't really like to get stuck on genre classifications, especially since you can call it technical or black/death inspired alongside the vague Extreme Prog tag.

Glad to see somebody else enjoys it though. The precision and crispness definitely stuck out to me.
I've found Jesus
Yeah, that does seem to make sense. That's what I did for Ihsahn, since there's just way too much different stuff being mixed there (similar case here).
Quote by Inimical
Great stuff!

There are a lot of great bands in Toronto that I had no idea about until very recently. Such a great metal scene out here.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I've passed up a chance to see these guys a few times. I wish I hadn't.

It's true, there are some phenomenal bands in Toronto but barely any sort of a scene to support it.
There are metal fans everywhere but they don't come out to support local shows like people do in the states or even Montreal.

If anyone is interested, The Great Collapse is playing on May 9th at the El Macombo in Toronto with "F*CK THE FACTS". This show should have quite a good turn out.
Last edited by devolve at Apr 19, 2009,
Quote by LucasGtrGod
My god that woman has one of the best growls/screams I have ever heard.

Four years ago she was a Jazz singer who happened to be a lifelong metal fan. She sang with a prog band called "Thangelic" during her time at Humber but only when she joined this band in 2007 did she take it upon herself to learn to scream.
She's definitely trying something few female vocalists ever do.
Hey Contraband, mind shooting me a PM of 320 rip?

I really like Devolve. They have a show at El Mocambo on the 9th which is a Saturday...thinking of attending to catch their set.
Lost interest.
Quote by ZylitoL
Hey Contraband, mind shooting me a PM of 320 rip?

I really like Devolve. They have a show at El Mocambo on the 9th which is a Saturday...thinking of attending to catch their set.

PM'd you. If anyone else is interested, feel free to throw a request my way.

I'll probably try attending that show on the 9th. I assume they won't charge out the ass though because I'm quite literally broke.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
PM'd you. If anyone else is interested, feel free to throw a request my way.

I'll probably try attending that show on the 9th. I assume they won't charge out the ass though because I'm quite literally broke.

Don't worry about money, I'll get you in somehow even if I have to spot you the cash. I don't mind.
Y'know, I wouldn't mind one of those links.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Assuming you're part of the band,

Devolve, how much for a ticket?
Lost interest.
Yeah, I'm Luke (Guitar/ backup Vox)
Contraband told me about this thread recently. We really appreciate the support!!

I'm pretty sure it's $10 at the door. I'll have to inquire about tickets, they might be cheaper.
"F*CK THE FACTS" is well known though so it's more than most local shows. (Except those overpriced DC music shows.)
Quote by devolve
It's true, there are some phenomenal bands in Toronto but barely any sort of a scene to support it.
There are metal fans everywhere but they don't come out to support local shows like people do in the states or even Montreal.

If anyone is interested, The Great Collapse is playing on May 9th at the El Macombo in Toronto with "F*CK THE FACTS". This show should have quite a good turn out.

**** the Facts always get a good turn-out in Toronto.

If I can I'll try to come out. Who else is playing?
Quote by Inimical
**** the Facts always get a good turn-out in Toronto.

If I can I'll try to come out. Who else is playing?

The other band is SYLVUS.
They're a kick ass local folk/black metal band. I like them. It's a very diverse bill.
Last edited by devolve at Apr 23, 2009,
Quote by devolve
They're a kick ass local folk/black metal band. I like them. It's a very diverse bill.

I actually find them rather boring as I've seen them maybe 3-4 times opening for various bands. Zack, the drummer guy always has that broken cymbal and they always have horrible eq-ing. And as a guitarist, I just find the guitaring boring. The only interesting element to me at least was Darcy's input in the lower vocal registers. I love those low cleans that sound very manly and folky.

Looking at their influence list (ie. Windir, Ensiferum, Borknagar, Summoning) just makes me think how much I'd rather listen to those bands instead.

But eh. I'm not complaining that they're on the bill. At least it'll be diverse. You'll have some grind, some folk and some...Great Collapse.

Quote by fowles06
wow. this is good.

upload album plx

Once again, PM'd
I've found Jesus
This is some really good stuff.

I'll probably order a CD once I've got some cash to spare (September probably ).

Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Last edited by eazy-c at Apr 23, 2009,
Quote by fowles06
Inbox contains 0 messages.

aff

If you're going in through your Control Panel in the top left corner, then you're using the old PM system. If you use the newer profile, top right, then you'll find it.

UG made this rather confusing.
I've found Jesus
may 9th eh...i'll probably come after work
Quote by devolve

Sylvus is great! One of the girls works at Steve's Music, I think. She's very nice, I believe we talked after her commenting on my Cryptopsy shirt.

I will do my best to make it out. That's going to be a busy few weeks.
Holy shit, this is great stuff.

If you could send a PM my way Contraband it would be very much appreciated.
From what i've heard on myspace this band is great, please PM me a link.
It turns out the show on the 9th is a 19+ show just so everyone knows.
I don't want anyone going out there and not being able to get in. That's what happened at the CD release and I felt horrible. There were a bunch of minors who were just waiting outside the venue and couldn't get in.

We will be trying to play more all ages shows in the future so don't worry if you can't make it out.
Otherwise, I hope to see you there.
Last edited by devolve at May 1, 2009,
**** i completely forgot about the show until **** the facts came up on my ipod today
anyone here go to it?
Page 1 of 2