i am planning on buying a new multi fx pedal. i have these in mind:
line6 floor pod plus
line6 pod xt live
line6 pod x3 live
digitech rp500

which should i get and why?

i am playing mainly (pop) punk (like alkaline trio), melodic hardcore (like rise against or boysetsfire) some alternative (older stuff like the smiths and newer like qotsa) and some metal (like metallica) throug a small solid state practice amp. and no, i will not get a new amp if that is your thought.

what is the difference between the line6 pedals besides number of amps and effects soundwise?

thanks for the help
Last edited by roter$baron at Nov 5, 2008,
If possible, test each out. I don't know about Line 6, I do know Digitech's more complex pedals aren't very hard to operate at all.

Check youtube, people like to review their pedals and usually respond to questions you post on their video if the video isn't like a Year old. If it isn't already in the video description they'll probably tell the amp/guitar they're using.

The expression "Good for everything, good for nothing" comes to mind.
I would suggest getting single effect pedals opposed to a multi-fx. Some people are fine with the multi-fx but I know I'm tired of my Multi-fx after the 5 months of using it and am slowly switching it out with multiple stompboxes. I'm only keeping it to use it's expression pedal to control my volume and also control some delay and reverb if/when I use them.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
I know you said you won't replace it, but just to know what kind of voicing, what amp DO you have?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I guess the pod would be your best bet, it still won't make your amp sound that great though, but you'll be able to play around.

the three pods have the same effects i believe, just read up about them, you can do this on your own.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
I guess the pod would be your best bet, it still won't make your amp sound that great though, but you'll be able to play around.

so maybe new amp nonetheless??? which small tube amp would you recommend? i am kinda on a 300 euro budget...maybe a combo would be nice...
POD X3 Live + Valve Junior would be pretty much all you'll ever need.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Yeah I'd look at a valve jr. and a digitech bad monkey, all those effects loose novelty after a short time.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
save up for a new amp its a better long term solution
when i had my crappy spider i bought a zoom g2 multieffects to use it with, made the spider sound better but when i replaced the spider the amp models and stuff became useless to me so i sold the pedal too.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
You probably wont need all those FX, especially since you're not playing like jam band music or experimental noise rock. You'll probably only want overdrive and maybe a delay.
ok but which amp...i am not really planning on gigging. but i have heard a 5 watt combo might sond pretty thin distortion-wise. is 15 watts too loud for bedroom? which small tube amp could pull off the music i play? maybe a 5 watt head and a 2x12 would be good? whats the difference between a 5 watt combo and a 5 watt head and cab?

also, i have heard some good things about the line6 flextone III. is it any good? it is a ss though...
Last edited by roter$baron at Nov 9, 2008,
I never cared much for the pods that I tried out. But I love my 500. It sounds great thru headphones for private playing, and since Digitech included an "amp/mixer" switch, it optimizes the output to line into my mixer or run into my amp/cab.

This is a good feature, 'cause it even makes my Spider II head sound good.

Since I got my 500, there's all sorts of crazy fx I NEVER thought I'd use. But now since I have them all in one package, I get to play with them all and explore.
Quote by roter$baron
ok but which amp...i am not really planning on gigging. but i have heard a 5 watt combo might sond pretty thin distortion-wise. is 15 watts too loud for bedroom? which small tube amp could pull off the music i play? maybe a 5 watt head and a 2x12 would be good? whats the difference between a 5 watt combo and a 5 watt head and cab?

also, i have heard some good things about the line6 flextone III. is it any good? it is a ss though...

A head is only the preamplification and poweramplification without the speaker. you have to connect a head to a cabinet if you want any sound (and if you don't want to blow up the amp). A combo basically has both of those things in one package.
I would recommend a Fender Super Champ XD.
BTW, I played with the 500's x-edit software last night. It's ultimately easy to tweak sound on the interface. In fact, it's way easier than doing it on the unit itself, and that was pretty simple. I give it another +1.
This probably won't count for much but, just putting it out there, I bought the regular POD X3 and had to return it the next day because all of the programs it came with didn't recognize it was connected.
"To Punish and Enslave...And do some Good when I feel like it."
Quote by HellzoneX
This probably won't count for much but, just putting it out there, I bought the regular POD X3 and had to return it the next day because all of the programs it came with didn't recognize it was connected.

Had the same problem with my 1st XT Live. Took it back and this second one has been going about 3 hrs a day for 2 years. Glad i just exchanged it rather then get something different. I love this thing.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD