I've always been under the strict belief that the way you hold your pick is not really that big of a deal. Friend of mine, who i consider quite a bit better than myself, was trying to convince me that I may be holding myself back by not holding the pick a certain way.

I consider myself quite good, but since im self taught I guess I never really thought about adapting my pick hold...

thoughts? He says I am limiting myself by not holding it strictly against the side of my 1st finger in sort of a 'pinch'.

Im by no means new to guitar, this is more of an opinion seeking thread, looking for UGs opinion on the matter.

Obviously greats like Freidman etc hold their picks in completely strange ways, but in general do you think someone could be doing themselves a disservice if they didnt conform?
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
yes i do believe it can hold you back and others styles will allow you to pick faster but if you are happy with the way you pick then its all good
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
it is really your preference.....

unless you are holding it some realllly retarded way....

it is what is comfortable for you
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
there are many arguments about this, id say goo with w,e feels best, after all its just the way you hold your pick(unless you hold it very awkwardly and tense) that could kinda set you back, but since you say you arent new to guitar then you probably just hold it the most comfortable way you can n.n
His way is probably the best and easiest way, but there could be better ones, I used to never even used a pick.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
why would you want any more tension in your playing than necessary?

go with the most relaxed grip possible, which happens to be the pick between the thumb and side of the index finger.

make a loose fist, place pick in position, tighten fist enough to grip pick, voila. you have the most efficient pick grip possible as well as having a huge amount of control over the pick itself.

try and change the angle of the pick with the thumb side finger grip (yes that's the technical term >_>, now try and do it while holding your pick with your thumb and first 2 fingers. the thumb side finger grip only requires you to move your thumb slightly, whereas the other requires you to move the whole hand at the wrist.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by CamaroEric+
get better than your friend, just to prove him wrong. as long as you can play well it doesnt matter how you hold your pick.

i dont think he wants to prove him wrong he just wants to know if it is possible for it to hold him back and holding your pick oes matter holding one way may flex inneeded mucsles which could hold you back in speed
EDIT: lemon influence just explained what i mean
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
experiment. when you learn a riff/solo/whatever, play it with every different grip type you can think of. try and come up with as many ways of holding the pick as possible, and master the piece of music using all of them. afterwards, it should become very apparent to you which one made you feel the most comfortable.

open mindedness and personal preference are key here. You'll also probably find that different styles of play are easier with different kinds of pick-holding - i find the "side of fingers" grip AWFUL in most cases, but its the only grip that i can use to sweep-pick. I find riffs with lots of pinches easier to hold the "simple" way, but faster riffs easier with "bottom of thumb, side of forefinger", etc etc.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by Lemoninfluence
make a loose fist, place pick in position, tighten fist enough to grip pick, voila. you have the most efficient pick grip possible as well as having a huge amount of control over the pick itself.

I tried so hard to do that for ages. Then I realised my retard thumb wasn't long enough.

;_;

But I manage fine. I have all manner of string skipping and economy picking in my less than orthodox pick method. Long story short, picking style can help, and even if it's unnatural at first it is worth learning, but other picking methods still work.
i was holding the pick "the wrong way" for my first 4 months of playing and in the last 1-2 months iv progressed alot better with the right way to hold the pick
it helps playing faster not hitting bum notes and its more comfortable
i also hold it 'the wrong way', and i notice i drop it often when playing standing up
but it plays alot better while holding it this way.
Quote by CamaroEric+
get better than your friend, just to prove him wrong. as long as you can play well it doesnt matter how you hold your pick.

lol.
I hold it with my index and thumb, but I "lock" my thumb joint. This prevent me from dropping it, as my hands tend to sweat while playing. It's preference though.
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals
i seen an interview with Paul Gilbert a while back, he said that he changed the way he held his pick and he's the Paul Gilbert we all know and love and who il be seeing in 15 days

my problem with holding the pick is that it always turns sideways on me! and i end up picking with the back end of it! just like Stevie Ray Vaughan, so i guess its not all that bad
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
I use my pick upside down so that I puck with the fat end. I like the way it feels and I feel like I get a good aggressive bite of the string. Unless you are trying to break the land speed record for fastest guitar player, I wouldn't think it should be a huge deal. I mean, I could be wrong, but I have never had a problem playing fast.
Look at how Brian Setzer holds his, many say it's the "wrong way" but I'm not about to tell Setzer he's doing it wrong, he may hit me upside my head with one of his grammys.
I'm not picking some crazy way, its just ive been playing a while, so switching makes me sound like an idiot.

when i switch my pinches, sweeps, runs anything dies...so i just dno what id be really gaining.

it just makes me uneasy when I hear PG saying to pick a certain way, and my buddy saying the same ya know?
i have tried to play with the side of finger and thumb, and never mastered it. hendrix used the pad of thumb and pad of finger to play. john mclaughlin -sp?- uses base of thumb and joint of index finger.
Last edited by dacat at Nov 6, 2008,
Quote by nvranka

it just makes me uneasy when I hear PG saying to pick a certain way, and my buddy saying the same ya know?

I wouldn't read too much into it, look at the difference between Gilbert's and Malmsteen's picking styles for instance. I say as long as you're not holding it between your thumb and your pinky, you're probably doing ok.
haha u know i never paid much attention to the way malmsteen picked, but his style is MUCH more similar to mine than anyone else ive watched..which makes me feel a bit better.

Everyone else I watch, the best covers on youtube, PG, etc etc.. all pinch the pick with their thumb, but malmsteen and myself use a more inward arched thumb hold...

i dno i guess it makes me feel less uneasy to at least see yngwie doing it more similar to myself haha.
I hold it with my 2nd bone and my thumb ot the normal 1st bone. Will this make a difference?
Theres no right way to play.
Using satire to reveal truth since October 2007