Hi!

I'm struggeling with my picking hand using a pick. It works unprecisly. If I hit notes on 3 strings it works but I'd like to be able to play say the b-string with a downstroke and afterwards the E-string with upstroke.

1. Therefore I need to know exactly how the wrist should move...
Does it move right on the begining of this video?

Youtube

2. Do I have to anchor the wrist so that it pushes the string away and the wrist stays at the same position?

3. If playing from the wrist do thumb&index-finger move a little so that the pick has always the same angle?

thanks for helping me!
I practised alot - I play for 8 years but I think I'm doing something wrong and it doesn't get better by practicing - I even think it's getting worse. If somebody answers my questions it would be a great help for me!
There are several different motions the wrist can make when picking, all equally correct. What I saw in the video needs work, but it's not too bad. As long as the motion feels natural and you can move fluidly whether on the same string or string skipping, you're probably ok.
2. Never anchor any part of your hand. Ever. If you want reasons, freepower has a thread in Advanced Techniques that will give them to you (don't make your own anchoring thread though). Your hand can rest on the bridge as long as it's free to move, but it's best if your hand stays in the air. Same goes for resting your pinky on the body, it's horrible technique and anybody who says otherwise is dead wrong.
3. You can, but you don't have to.
Thanks for your answer!

Quote by Nightfyre
What I saw in the video needs work, but it's not too bad. As long as the motion feels natural and you can move fluidly whether on the same string or string skipping, you're probably ok.

What is bad in the motion which i point out at the begining or what is bad when i pick? I'm only interested in the right hand!