What is in your practice routine/regiment? I'm curious to see what other people's practice routines are, and maybe I or anybody who reads this thread can pick up a few new things to add to our routines.
Most of the time I just play a bunch of my favourite licks and riffs just cause i like to hear em, that'll keep me going for almost an hour. Then if im feeling up to it ill learn a song that i wanna hear :P

Though i have found this is a very slow way of getting better. I used to try and learn songs that used techniques that i didnt know how to do, that was very helpful, a good way to go about learning guitar.
Every week or two, I decide on what I call a primary focus. That is an area which I want to give a good shove in the right direction. Every 3 or 4 days I decide on a secondary focus, which is another area that needs attention but to a lesser degree. So the idea is I'll allocate a larger chunk of time and work on something really hard, while having time for bringing other areas up and rotating them more rapidly.

So, right now my practice routine looks like this (for week nights - I have an extended version for weekends where I have more time).

Stretch/massage - 10 mins
Warm up (usually independence exercises played slow) - 20 mins
Rhythm* - 15-30 mins
Primary focus (right now legato) - 15-30 mins
Secondary focus (alt picking/string skipping right now) - 15-30 mins
Miscellaneous bits/transitions, etc - 10 mins
Play whole song (whatever I'm working on, the whole way through 2-4 times) - 15-20 mins
Ear training - 10 mins

I take 5-10 min breaks every 30-40 mins. I write everything in a practice log - what each section was, tempos played, a short comment about how it went.
This is separate from my fun time, where I'll just jam, improvise, whatever.

* regardless of primary and secondary focus, I'll always make time for rhythm. I don't want to be one of those guys who can play lead well, and can't even get a simple rhythm sounding rockin.
I only have the start of my practice set to routine, after I run these drills I go onto jamming. Note that all the scaling and chord progressions are 'nomed:

-From 12th to 3rd fret:
Natural scale
Harmonic scale
Minor pentatonic
Major pentatonic

-All basic chord progressions (in major key)

-power chords: from 12th to 3rd fret, E and A string (so basically all power chords)

-10 minutes pinch harmonic practice: inside riffs and just repetition

-20 minutes sweep picking.

After that I just work on my music or learning new licks. At the end of practice, I run through all the scales at 126 bpm (painfully slow) to cool down. I usually jam for about 4 hours a night, all day saturday, then I rest up on sunday.

I am by far a great guitarist, which is why I practice so much. Let me know if you have any questions.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Last edited by gizmodious at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by se012101
Every week or two, I decide on what I call a primary focus. That is an area which I want to give a good shove in the right direction. Every 3 or 4 days I decide on a secondary focus, which is another area that needs attention but to a lesser degree. So the idea is I'll allocate a larger chunk of time and work on something really hard, while having time for bringing other areas up and rotating them more rapidly.

So, right now my practice routine looks like this (for week nights - I have an extended version for weekends where I have more time).

Stretch/massage - 10 mins
Warm up (usually independence exercises played slow) - 20 mins
Rhythm* - 15-30 mins
Primary focus (right now legato) - 15-30 mins
Secondary focus (alt picking/string skipping right now) - 15-30 mins
Miscellaneous bits/transitions, etc - 10 mins
Play whole song (whatever I'm working on, the whole way through 2-4 times) - 15-20 mins
Ear training - 10 mins

I take 5-10 min breaks every 30-40 mins. I write everything in a practice log - what each section was, tempos played, a short comment about how it went.
This is separate from my fun time, where I'll just jam, improvise, whatever.

* regardless of primary and secondary focus, I'll always make time for rhythm. I don't want to be one of those guys who can play lead well, and can't even get a simple rhythm sounding rockin.

Nice, very good to see someone using a practice log, thats totally ****in rad. I'm going to borrow a few things from this...
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Quote by gizmodious
Nice, very good to see someone using a practice log, thats totally ****in rad. I'm going to borrow a few things from this...

And that's what this thread is all about, giving each other new practice ideas.

And se012101, that's a very interesting practice routine, I shall definitely be taking some of your ideas.
I'm horribly lazy and undisciplined when it comes to guitar (and I guess a lot of things) so all I do is learn/practice songs that I like for as long as I like
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Since I have no job mines gets pretty long lol

Ear Training with Earmaster Pro(great program) - 1 hour
Learning songs by ear and maybe a bit of transcribing - 1 hour
Theory- 1 hour
Improvsation - 2 hours

That takes me from about 11 in the morning tuntil 4 in the afternoon and then I will have dinner and chill for a bit.

Then from 6 onwards I practice technique etc

Legato - 1 hour
Picking - 1 hour
Rhythm - 40 minutes
Sweeping - 40 minutes
Vibrato, bending etc - haf an hour to an hour

After that I will spend time writing or something like that

I never used to get as much time to practise but now that I do I make the most of it lol

Andy
I spend the first half an hour to an hour warming up. (I posted my warm up routine last night under "warm ups"). During that time I'll also run through scales and arpeggios, just to stay sharp.
I'm always writing new songs or finishing others. So once I'm warmed up, I usually focus on writing or improvising. I always make a jam track of the progressions that I plan to solo over. Playing over these jam tracks allow me to apply all the theory/scales/& arpeggios to an real musical situation. This makes practice more fun and I get way more accomplished than when I used to spend hours and hours just working on technique.
Whenever I feel stale or repetitive, I'll figure out someone elses licks or solos. A lot of times, this will jump-start your imagination. I did this recently with the Jeff Beck solo to Come Dancing. (that guy has an insane sense of melody)
Stretching/Warm-up 1-2-3-4 exercises - 10mins
Scale runs (major/minor/dominant/pentatonic/etc.) - 10-20mins
Whatever my guitar teacher left for me for the week - 30mins-1hr
Songs I learn on my own (with or without vocals) - 30mins-1hr

Most of the time it goes something like that. Sometimes I work only on my lessons for the week and sometimes I only play and sing songs. Most of the time its a split routine though.
I do chromatic run down start slow, go fast.
Minor pentatonic
Minor scale
Harmonic Minor scale
Mixolydian scale (do the scales in random spots of neck to work memory and notes on neck)

from there I goof off with different ideas for songs and so on

Then I jam to songs by other artists

Back to song ideas

Go through the scales I have most trouble with

End.

Every few days I work on techniques such as sweeps and legatos to stay fresh.
What rhythm practice do you guys do? And when you're practicing scales, do you practice them in every key everyday? Or a certain key each day? or something else?
I dont think about a key... I will start playing say in G then if at some point I hit E I might decide eh ill change it up and work it through E till I get bored... kind of keeps me thinking.