So my rhythm guitarist quit X months ago. All our newer material is one guitar and fine, but we have a few selections that just need a second guitar to it. We don't want to tack on another member just for a few songs, so I was wondering what I could do to get a second guitar sound with just one. I'm talking like, chords on certain parts, and then harmonizing on others.
Quote by Zycho
Loop station.

+2

With a Boss DD-7 you can also loop but only for 40sec

but then you can get cool delay sounds out of it too....

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
I use a Loop Station and two separate amps. I use my Uberschall on one Side of the stage and my 6505+ on the other. It gives it a better definition. I also use a ABY unit to switch between one or the other or both at the same time. Sometimes I have my friend do the switching for me via computer, but its not too hard to do it yourself. Just make sure it you go the two amp route that you find a decent combo. I don't expect you to be able to use 2 Bogner's like an Uberschall and a Shiva or something like that. A fairly decent combo is a 6505 and a Crate Blue voodoo. It's all dependent on what sound you use. Just find one for your treble and the soloing and another one for a your low bass riffs.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by Zycho
Loop station.

+3

Simply you record the "2nd" guitar part before hand and you play the loop station with you on the track, the difficult thing then is making sure that you are going to have to do everything completly in time otherwise the loop will be out of time (obviously)
Quote by Symmetry4321
+3

Simply you record the "2nd" guitar part before hand and you play the loop station with you on the track, the difficult thing then is making sure that you are going to have to do everything completly in time otherwise the loop will be out of time (obviously)

Also, if your drummer isn't a metronome, it will come in completely at the wrong time and screw everything up.

Personally, I would just play the lead parts, have the bassist carry the rhythm, and just have the harmonizations on the CD you're selling.
Something else you could do is split your guitar signal to two separate amps, and learn how to play harmony lines by yourself. It's not too terribly complicated, it just takes a bit of study and practice.

do what I do, turn amp iinto monitor basically and just use the head for tone, send everything to speakers on the sides that mix with the vocal horns.
If you just wnt two guitar sounds for a fuller sound use a splitter and two amps.

If your looking to play two patys at once, personally I wouldn't bother, but you could either have the other guitar on CD or MP3 or use a loopstation. However, both require your drummer playing to a metronome so this part doesn't get out of time, and IMO its more trouble than it's worth. many things could go wrong.