Ok this question may be a bit tough to explain but I just noticed today that when I play something...lets just say for example D string 12 14 12.... that when I play the 14th fret my first finger that was playing the 12th string is not fretting anymore but lightly on the string muting it.

Obiviously I don't do this with pull offs and hammer ons but with pretty much everything else in a solo I do it. Sometimes its needed to mute stuff but even when its not I'm doing it.

Is this good, bad...Just wondering. No one else to ask
its good. read the techniques sticky there is a bit about left hand muting.
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 5, 2008,
thank God, I got myself worried that I'd have yet another technique issue to correct.....The relief is almost euphoric
Yeah dude, it's basically a good. Thats something my guitar teacher taught me to do. After my finger is done fretting let the string push my finger off rather me lifting my finger off.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Yeah dude, it's basically a good. Thats something my guitar teacher taught me to do. After my finger is done fretting let the string push my finger off rather me lifting my finger off.

Yeah, I've been teaching myself so I don't know where I got that from. Didn't even realize I was doing it all the time until today when I was practicing a metallica solo. It's really amazing how the body goes on auto-pilot when playing....
Yeah, generally speaking it isn't a bad habit to have, unless you need to get back to that 12th fret quickly and you're still muting. I woulden't worry about it too much, it doesn't sound like it's impacted your ability to play in any meaningful way.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Garou1911
Yeah, generally speaking it isn't a bad habit to have, unless you need to get back to that 12th fret quickly and you're still muting. I woulden't worry about it too much, it doesn't sound like it's impacted your ability to play in any meaningful way.

Thanks for the input. So basically it doesn't matter to much either way if you can play whatever you're trying to play cleanly and make it sound as it should? Maybe I should stop worrying about all these very little details because it doesn't matter much if you can play it?
Your first finger and third are totally independant of one another so it's basically OK to do this sometimes. But your 2nd finger and 3rd finger are linked together. If you leave your second finger behind on a previously played note it (even slightly to mute) it will impact the reach and motion of the 3rd. This could also be a problem if the first note you play is a distance away from the second note and you must reposition your hand to get there as you're now dragging the previous finger over the string during the repositioning. Muting is required sometimes but if you are accurate with your pick attack and cleanly remove fingering without accidentally hitting adjacent strings you'll need to use it less.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Your first finger and third are totally independant of one another so it's basically OK to do this sometimes. But your 2nd finger and 3rd finger are linked together. If you leave your second finger behind on a previously played note it (even slightly to mute) it will impact the reach and motion of the 3rd. This could also be a problem if the first note you play is a distance away from the second note and you must reposition your hand to get there as you're now dragging the previous finger over the string during the repositioning. Muting is required sometimes but if you are accurate with your pick attack and cleanly remove fingering without accidentally hitting adjacent strings you'll need to use it less.

Interesting. Well it seems that I do that pretty much only with my first and third finger. Its kind of hard to figure out EXACTLY what I'm doing at all times but I have short fingers so reach was always an issue. So I know I'm not doing anything to impair that.
I just wanted to make another post on this topic because my playing has advanced quite a bit in the month or so I made it and I realize that I rarely release the fretted note I'm playing after I'm done with it.

Instead it seems I rely on either my right hand muting, or another finger of my left hand to cover up that fretted note when another one is played.

So for example if I played 3rd string 12th fret and then 4th string 14th fret, my 1st finger would still be holding down that 12th fret but the longer part of my 3rd finger would be laying across the 3rd string and block it out as I play the 14th fret of the 4th string.

Is this what most of you guys do as well?