ok the college im at offers a musical theory class what i was wondering is will i get the same knowledge out of this class or would i get more from say a bass instructor. also is musical theory just musical theory or is there musical theory pertaining to bass?
any musical theory will pertain to bass.

take it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
take the class. An instructor would teach you specifics about harmony and melody pertaining to bass, probably rock bass. Music theory will teach you about all music.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
i plan on taking the class becuase if nothing else it will be interesting but what im asking is would this class be able to take the place of a instructor
no. an instructor teaches you form and how theory applies to your instrument. Theory teaches you theory, particularly your basics in voice leading and understanding of scales.
Theory will definately help, but its not going to "replace" getting lessons.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
like i said im taking the class but if you had to choose one of the two which would you choose?
Personally, I would take lessons. For one, it's a one-to-one situation, rather than a big lecture.

Also, in my case, my teacher had a college education in musical performance and knows plenty of theory. He was able to teach it to me, as well as teach how it pertained specifically to my instrument.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Quote by dmiwshicldply
like i said im taking the class but if you had to choose one of the two which would you choose?

I'd take the class then immediately go back to lessons. This is actually what I did in high school. What you don't realize is, each time you rephrased the question, you asked an entirely different question. Forgive me for answering them in the order they were presented.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
yea i realized i changed the question i can be a little difficult sometimes but thanks man youve helped a lot
Quote by bigwilly
Personally, I would take lessons. For one, it's a one-to-one situation, rather than a big lecture.

Also, in my case, my teacher had a college education in musical performance and knows plenty of theory. He was able to teach it to me, as well as teach how it pertained specifically to my instrument.

Yeah, my teacher had a nice university education to lean on too, so it was sweet. My take on this lessons vs class was to go to class twice a week and then asking my instructor how to implement this in my playing and style in a few ways. Worked out great.
If you can't do this, go for classes first, then private lessons. If you don't understand what you are playing, you are stuck.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
I'm taking music theory for my own enjoyment right now and it has sharpened up my overall skills a fair bit. At my university it's a little slow paced and dumbed down since the program's main goal is to crank out music ed majors, but with some personal initiative I'm still managing to learn quite a bit for my own benifit.

I'm finding the piano tech class I'm taking to actually be much more benificial to me as an overall musician and as a bass player. It takes a lot more time out of my schedule, but I've never done anything else that made me really start thinking about how I make music so much.