I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work, but could I get like a 1/8" piece of poplar or something cheap and use it as a pickguard? I'd cut it into the proper shape and stain it. I think it'd look unique. The reason I ask is just in case I would get bad feedback or something from using it. I would probably shield it, which leads to my next question...
Can you use aluminum foil to shield things?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
why woulden't it work? hmmm... thats probably the only thing i havent tried yet lol... yeah should work, i just imagine it being kinda fragile....
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
It will work. People on here use wood for cavity covers all the time.

To shield, just spend a couple bucks on shielding tape.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
should work. if you like to tinker a lot you might end up cracking it with the screws after its been taken apart and put back together a few times. im assuming the pickups are going to be mounted into it and that might be a problem with cracking the wood and im not sure how the resonance of wood versus plastic would affect the tone or feedback issues. and aluminum foil will work for sheilding but dunlop makes use specific sheilding for that that would probably work better, last longer and its cheap.
use mahogany, flamed/quilted/lightly spalted/birdseye maple, Sapele, or other pretty woods.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Other than the fact that you'll probably scratch the hell out of it, it should be fine.

It's possible that the scratches could look good, make a thread if you do it - I'm curious.
Alright, thanks for all the help. I'm gonna make a full-fledged thread once i get this yamaha pacifica from my friend.
And i don't wanna spend much on this, so I don't know if it's really worth it to get a flamed maple piece when it might crack. When I said Poplar, i was just throwing out a wood name. what's a wood that's cheap and not ugly?
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by BD 425
what's a wood that's cheap and not ugly?
i think those things are mutually exclusive.

any wood that looks nice will not be cheap. the prettier, the more expensive.

maybe look at your lumberyard or home center for wood veneers. see what looks nice to you.

some of the Formica veneers have a wood look to them.
not as quite as pretty as real wood, but much more durable.
just another option.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by guitar/bass76
Other than the fact that you'll probably scratch the hell out of it, it should be fine.

It's possible that the scratches could look good, make a thread if you do it - I'm curious.

He could always poly it.
Weekend Warrior
Wood pickguard will work, I've seen it before.

What about using a cheaper wood, than using a really nice veneer over it? That'd be cheaper.

And you could poly it to make it hella durable.
What I meant by cheap and pretty was something thats kind of a middle-ground. I'm a jobless teenager, i don't have much money!
And yes everyone, I will stain and poly it. My dad recently put a new top on my desk and the color he stained it is the color I'm looking for.
Alright, so what color should I paint the guitar? I think white or a creamy white will look good with the dark, stained wood pickguard.
edit: i'm basing that statement off the fact that i LOVE the way a white strat looks with a tortoiseshell pickguard.
I don't know what color you're staining it - but I like olympic white with tortoise shell...so wood could look mint.

edit: you can use aluminum foil to shield the guitar body but the downside is that you can't solder to it - hobby stores will sometimes carry copper foil for relatively cheap.
Last edited by guitar/bass76 at Nov 6, 2008,