Okay, about 3 weeks ago i got a fender strat. it came with 9's on it and today i went to change the pickguard and put some 10's on it, well i ran into a problem. The cut on the nut for the Low E string was to small, so i figured id cut it a little, so i did, and i cut it to far down. So, i took some superglue, and superglued some grains of sawdust into the nut, enough to where i wouldnt just hear buzz from the string. it works, for now. But, im going to need a new nut soon. So, I have a bone nut on my sg, and i think it made a huge improvment, so i was gonna go with this. But people told me for trem guitars use a graphite nut, but i dont use the tremolo at all so would a bone work for me?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

I'd get a graphite anyways. It helps overall tuning stability.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
i agree with gwiternsnamps graphite nuts are naturaly greasy so the will always be less friction so if you get the strings properly streched and tightly wrapped around the tuning machines it would keep it in tune alot better
get teh one you like the look of.

both are used. both have pros and cons. you probably wont notice a massive difference either way. if your guitar looks good with white/cream then get bone. if it looks good with black/grey get graphite.
Thank you please.
yeah i think im gonna get the graphtech

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by SG Commander
i agree with gwiternsnamps graphite nuts are naturaly greasy so the will always be less friction so if you get the strings properly streched and tightly wrapped around the tuning machines it would keep it in tune alot better

No.

graphite is a low-friction material, there's no grease involved.

granted, stretching and properly winding strings will make a difference.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deadlydunc
get teh one you like the look of.

both are used. both have pros and cons. you probably wont notice a massive difference either way. if your guitar looks good with white/cream then get bone. if it looks good with black/grey get graphite.

never, and i mean never get anything guitar related based on looks, unless its like two exact same picks or different color or something. graphite and bone have many differences that, in the long run, will make a big difference in tuning stability and playability of your guitar. besides, you might decide to use the trem at some point, so getting the graphite nut will save u time and money later on.
plus, you break strings less with it, even if u dont use the trem
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses