Most of us here who play guitar have at one point thought about giving up and moving on to something else, what made you feel like that? And what made you stop from giving up and keep going?
Im thinking about it right now but I love it and ive put alot of time in already so might as well keep goin lol
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Jarusafes
Most of us here who play guitar have at one point thought about giving up and moving on to something else, what made you feel like that? And what made you stop from giving up and keep going?

I did give up when I was around 11 (started at age 8) but then realized when I was 13 I missed playing to much.
i havent given up per se. just play all the generic riffs i played when i was a kid. i find piano more expressive and enjoyable now.
When I first got it. Then, a month later, I finally learned my first power chord, and I went from there and 3 years later found this site. Now I'm better than I thought I would ever be.
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
Can't say that's ever happened to me.

But I guess girls keep me playing. They always can't get enough of my guitar.

Also, best way to get laid is teach a girl to play guitar, when shes sitting on your lap, and you can teach her how by moving her hands... tried and true.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Feeling like I'm no good, hitting that plateau where it gets difficult to improve.

Hearing other people play kept me inspired to keep going. Whenever I get in a rut, I take some time to listen to the people who inspired me to start as well as some other talented artists. That helps me out.
Buy it. Load it. Shoot it.

Quote by nodtomc
So ur with ur honey and yur making out wen the phone rigns. U anser it n the vioce is "wut r u doing wit my daughter?" U tell ur girl n she say "my dad is ded". THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

What made you want to let down?
What made you want to run around and desert?
What made you want to make you cry?
What made you want to say goodbye?
What made you want to tell a lie and hurt?
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

When a stupid hardcore band at my school won battle of the bands, my sophomore year. I was so mad, I got a band together and won my junior years botb. Now, I'm pretty confident this year, with my new band entirely.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I was 11ish when i started playing my parents bought it for me and i took lessons for a few months. After awhile i gave up and shelfed it for a few years. I picked it up again one day and coudn't understand why i didn't like it at first. now i can't stop. i can't imagine ever giving it up again!!
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

Gave up a year or two ago, now I'm a drummer.

But I can never leave The Pit
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
I never gave up. i just quit writing for awhile. But yesterday i wrote out a full song. I didnt even want to and i didnt try to- it just happened. I played riff after riff and it formed into a song.
Quote by St.Loony
Girls are complicated - Just turn gay and don't bother.

Quote by MightyAl
OK, so now, for Christmas, I'd like the ability to have an erection again.

Quote by smartguyreviews
one time i got up in the middle of the night to take a shit... and the toilet seat was warm....
Because I feel like everyone around me progresses so much faster. It makes me feel like I wasnt meant for guitar

What made me keep going anyways? Cause im stubborn as a mule and I LOVE playing regardless of my skill.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
whenever i got started when i was 13ish i think i got really frustrated. i didnt have any help whatsoever, i didnt realize i had to push the strings down hard (my first guitar had horrible action) and i just gave up on it.

i decided to try back 8 or so months later, i started taking lessons and have been hooked since then.
ive started playing guitar since around 7, then i quit for a long time then picked it up one day and relearned everything wishing i stuck with it i love it now
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I did give up when I was around 11 (started at age 8) but then realized when I was 13 I missed playing to much.

this
Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis
I wanted to give up the day my band kicked me out to trade for someone they thought was better, But later that week some nerds in my band class invited me to jam, and they were all really good (alot better that the douches that kicked me out of the band) Then like 2 months later the douches who kicked me out of the band were like, "So... this new guy is a poser douche, and our old guitarist is all good now...Wow, we suck." And they litterally BEGGED me to come back to the band, and I got the ultimate saticfaction of saying, "Sorry, I found someone better." But I still jam with all of them, and some others now, mostly because I'm the only guitarist in school who is worth 2 shits. The point is, I'm glad I stuck with it.
Quote by Fromotion8389
Feeling like I'm no good, hitting that plateau where it gets difficult to improve.

Hearing other people play kept me inspired to keep going. Whenever I get in a rut, I take some time to listen to the people who inspired me to start as well as some other talented artists. That helps me out.

I'm the same way. Sometimes going to a concert and feeling the energy (that sounds corny) rejuvenates me. I've never seriously wanted to quit, but at frustrating moments, I always realize that playing guitar makes me feel complete.
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3
Haven't had that feel yet, hopefully never will
Gear:
Gibson Flying V
Jackson RR3 w/ Zakk Wylde EMG's
'89 Marshall 8240 Combo Amp
Marshall MG10 CD
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell
my asshole music teacher who taught me as slow as he possibly could so that i kept coming back for lessons. at one point i realized that i was not learning anything new (every lesson was just another 'let's play THIS greenday song'). at the time i had not known what tabs were and i couldn't find sheet music on the internet, so basically i couldn't teach myself, and my teacher was useless. therefore i stopped for nearly 2-3 years. someone then referred me to UG when i was like 14 ish? and yea...i learned some bob dylan stuff which was easy, but it was new so i was having fun. Yea...rest is history.
I wanted to give up to ride my bike because i sucked at playing, I had a crap guitar and riding was so much more fun. I had quit for about 6-8 months before i stripped out my cranks and couldnt ride. Then I started playing again, originally it was only till I had saved up money for new cranks or a new bike. When I had enough for a new bike I was really into playing so I just bought a new guitar and I havnt looked back yet.
I've been playing 8 years. I never wanted to give up.
Not even when I first started playing and I couldn't afford lessons anymore.

Self-taught bastard all the way! And I still play every god damn day.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
I haven't hit this yet. I've been keen on practicing when I want to, and leaving the guitar be when I don't feel like it/don't have the time. Such has never been more than a week or two thus far, and hopefully that won't change.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
I've never seriously wanted to quit. there have been several times when I ask "what's the point? I live in the middle of nowhere, I'm never even gonna have a band 'till I can leave the house." but I realise its the only thing keeping me alive. Its like a girlfriend that never cheats , lies, or loses interest.

and like the other guy said, when I see people live (in the flesh, not youtube) it inspires me to keep at it.
I never wanted to give up, but at one point I grew frustrated because you can only play Metallica and Megadeth for so long before it gets monotonous. Also, I wasn<t progressing technically.
I went and checked out some other bands, and now I'm very proficient at guitar (in relation to the amount of time I've been playing, that is)
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Whenever I listen to songs its easier for me to pick up the drumming. So I really thought about spending some money on a drum set and cutting back on guitar... but instead I bought my Mesa. Oh baby.
sucking in general. but im going to suck for a long time anyway
so i got over that fairly quickly
hmm, prob the fact that, i suck at singing, cuz i always sing when i play, or at least humm it, but then i watch

THE ALMIGHTY YOUTUBE COVERS!!

and then i get inspired

(no that wasnt an attempt for a sig)
Quote by Fromotion8389

+1
This is probably the one thing that keeps me going when i feel like giving up. Just remember why you started in the first place.
Playing guitar is pretty time consuming while also trying to earn an engineering degree. The fact that I need to focus on my degree almost made me give up. The problem is, I started enjoying guitar way more when I got into college so it's not something I'm giving up any time soon.
NO WAY! I've gone into a massive rage once or twice when I couldn't get a solo or a riff after practicing for ages, but I just go back an hour later and keep playing. Guitar is too good to just give up, and I'm proud of playing my guitar.
My Gear...
Guitars:
- Ibanez RG350EX
- Cort Acoustic
Amps:
- Randall RG75
Effects:
-Boss ME-50 Multi Effects

Quote by Ajax413
Pfft... I know a guy who didn't even masturbate until he was 18... now that's a late bloomer.
never wanted to quit, but trying to learn how to sweep makes me annoyed
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
well i dont really practice solos and stuff like that because im content with my guitar playing. my style of music anyways is punk / pop punk haha so i havent really given up ive just got to where i want to be.
I couldn't quit my guitar. She's like a girlfriend you might get mad at, but in an hour or so you just want to hold her again. [/pussyanalogy]
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Thats me right now man, i haven't even looked at my guitar in nearly 11 months, but last night i picked it up and went MAN I SUUUUCK!!!! so im back into getting good again
"We carry death out of the village!"