Hello All,

I have decided I need a new amp before a guitar, which is fine. But for the future, i would like to ask a few questions about pickups. I have a squier standard strat, and I'm assuming that the stock pups aren't stellar. I'm looking for a hendrix neck tone, classic rock (led zeppelin etc versatile really) middle pup and maybe a gilmourish bridge pup? is this possible? and if the middle can't do zep (i don't want a bucker) then maybe a clapton, woman tone in the middle? some reccomendations please.

cheers
warren
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
wow i wish i had an extensive experience with different pups so i could help, but i haven't played many single coil guitars...

but i can ask a very important question that has a lot to do with your sound: what kind of amp are you using?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Right now...shitty frontman. I'm planning on getting a 5w tube amp, something along the lines of an epi valve junior. this owuld be for after i get a respectable amp.
Quote by Mister.Y

well after you get a tube amp, you might not even think you need new pups honestly. is the standard squire an affinity or bullet series? if it's an affinity, it's prolly not worth upgrading the pups. if it's a bullet, might still not be unless you think you've really got something that is a diamond in the rough.

really i don't think you should get new pups unless you've got yourself a lil nicer of a guitar, but it's not my place to say. i think you should use the money that's going towards new pups, and use them for FX for your next amp. an OD is essential for ANY tube amp, unless you have the ability to crank them with no one getting upset OR you have a master volume and pre gain volume. then you have your delay, wah and chorus as other essential FX. so yea...pups are for fine tweaking your tone so i'd save those for after you've got your new amp and all the FX you want.

hope that helped!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Yeah, it did! It's a standard series, and i like the feel, but i think maybe a mim strat would be better as a starting point. And I'm going to sell my crybaby, get a vox, and get a fuzz, as well as a bad monkey probably. I think you're right, should get tired of my tone first haha.

Thanks then mate
Quote by Mister.Y

yea no prob at all. a MIM would be a better starting point. that'd give you something that's close to pro level if you upgrade it.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Good advice here from slash_rocks.

I agree, an upgrade would do you better in the long run, and your guitar might actually souind pretty good through a good amp. Your amp is going to be more influential on your tone than your pickups.

I would look at a Crate V18, since they're so cheap right now, and sound great for what you play.
I'll look at that, it depends what people are selling in good old Edmonton, cause i don't really want to have a tube amp shipped...and I'd like to try it before i bought it. I'll keep my eye out for it though!
Thanks all
Quote by Mister.Y

Quote by forsaknazrael

I would look at a Crate V18, since they're so cheap right now, and sound great for what you play.

+1. I was pretty much in the same boat as you, and I picked up a V-18 2x12" and I love it. Its a great price, too. Granted, you can get better, but it will cost you more.
Good Deals: imgooley, pak1351
for gilmour tone get a duncan ssl-5 for the bridge and for the neck and middle standard strat pups should be fine
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.