Page 1 of 2
For those who have learned/are learning to play both what was harder?

I am leaving this question broad because I would like a broad range of answers. Tell me anything you want.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Depends how good you want to be.

It's apples and oranges, really.

Piano is easier at the beginning because it only involves one motion, pushing down on the note. But to develop insane legato technique takes years, just like guitar.

Both instruments have their advantages.

I used to play piano when I was younger, and I remember I quit because I couldn't play some bass clef thing. It was some really complicated blues thing. But then again I was like 12, so everything seemed complicated. Also, I hated practicing, so maybe that's why.
They are completely different instruments with completely different layouts, and are played completely differently. There is no comparison.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
well piano was my first instrument, so of course it was hard. i was like 6 too, so reading 2 clefs at the same time, and having the attention span of.....

anyway piano made learning guitar much easier
Quote by one vision
Depends how good you want to be.

It's apples and oranges, really.

Piano is easier at the beginning because it only involves one motion, pushing down on the note. But to develop insane legato technique takes years, just like guitar.

Both instruments have their advantages.

I used to play piano when I was younger, and I remember I quit because I couldn't play some bass clef thing. It was some really complicated blues thing. But then again I was like 12, so everything seemed complicated. Also, I hated practicing, so maybe that's why.

I play both and I can't really compare... I started playing piano at the age of 4, so I can't remember much about learning it when I was beginning. I started playing guitar at the age of 13, it seemed pretty easy learning basics and stuff...

I think they're both hard in their own ways. They are both definitely hard if you are always striving to be better.
Quote by qstionauthority
well piano was my first instrument, so of course it was hard. i was like 6 too, so reading 2 clefs at the same time, and having the attention span of.....

anyway piano made learning guitar much easier

I disagree, learning guitar made my piano understanding better... but it didn't help with guitar... I started to understand the makeups of scales other than majors and minors and it allowed me to improvise more.
They each present different difficulties. Mastery of either one requires about the
same effort. I'd give an edge to piano being harder, especially for improv. Every key
is a completely different thing and the other thing is each hand on piano is often
doing uncoupled motions.

Guitar presents a larger technique challenge overall.
it's eaiser for me to relate theory to a piano. i just get a visulization of a keyboard or go to one and i can figure stuff out. but i guess guitar and piano are both pretty visual tho
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

Quote by edg
They each present different difficulties. Mastery of either one requires about the
same effort. I'd give an edge to piano being harder, especially for improv. Every key
is a completely different thing and the other thing is each hand on piano is often
doing uncoupled motions.

Guitar presents a larger technique challenge overall.

I find it easier to improvise on piano..

I guess its just me lol
you cant really use the fact that there totally different as an excuse as to why you cant answer.. because he said "which ones easier to learn"
its no different than asking someone which is easier learn how to swim or how to ride a bike..
one CAN be easier than the other.

anyway i'd say piano is easier to sound like you know what your doing(like just learn a song and play it over and over again),
but on the other hand guitar is easier to get to the intermediate level..
but thats just my stand point
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by victoryaloy
you cant really use the fact that there totally different as an excuse as to why you cant answer.. because he said "which ones easier to learn"
its no different than asking someone which is easier learn how to swim or how to ride a bike..
one CAN be easier than the other.

anyway i'd say piano is easier to sound like you know what your doing(like just learn a song and play it over and over again),
but on the other hand guitar is easier to get to the intermediate level..
but thats just my stand point

nah... piano is pretty easy to be "intermediate" at... you just learn some slow beatles songs... lmao... theres a couple of guys like that at my school... its pretty funny... cuz they'll be sitting there playing the piano and no one will pay attention, then they get up and i sit down and play some vanessa carlton or some other sort of popular piano music and a bunch of girls watch and are like wow your amazing... yeah...
Quote by Souls United
nah... piano is pretty easy to be "intermediate" at... you just learn some slow beatles songs... lmao... theres a couple of guys like that at my school... its pretty funny... cuz they'll be sitting there playing the piano and no one will pay attention, then they get up and i sit down and play some vanessa carlton or some other sort of popular piano music and a bunch of girls watch and are like wow your amazing... yeah...

I guess it all depends on your style.
By intermediate i mean coordination down with out a problem and be able to pick up a song after about 10 min of looking at the chords.
and also being able to spice up the song.

I guess there are both about equal now that i really think about it.
but guitar is def easier to get coordination down
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
you cant really use the fact that there totally different as an excuse as to why you cant answer.

I can and did. It's like comparing apples and a cat.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I can and did. It's like comparing apples and a cat.

or saying which is harder to throw an apple or a cat...

i'd say cat
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Quote by Souls United
I disagree, learning guitar made my piano understanding better... but it didn't help with guitar... I started to understand the makeups of scales other than majors and minors and it allowed me to improvise more.

Piano helps me visualize intervals, scales and chords. Like if you need to know the relative minor to F# mixolydian, I would visualize a piano, realize that F# is the fifth of B, and the relative minor to B is G#. voila

Guitar helped me with piano in terms of improvising and soloing too, but not so much with classical pieces.
Quote by victoryaloy
or saying which is harder to throw an apple or a cat...

i'd say cat

You would right if he had asked a specific question, such as "on which instrument is it generally easier to visualize chords and their inversion", but he didn't.
--Coming from someone who started off being a serious classical piano player from ages 6 - 18 and started becoming a serious guitar player (shredder, metal) from ages 16-23---

Basically, for me piano was a ton easier in all aspects. Maybe it was because I started out at a young age. I could pretty much play anything on the piano that was put in front of me, given I practiced enough. I used to play concertos by Liszt that had blistering fast runs using both hands at the same time, I could basically play as fast as I wanted in any scale.

Here is where I was dissapointed..when I started playing guitar.
I thought it was be extremely easy, given the fact that your hands aren't jumping all over the place like you do in piano. However, it was alot harder for me to pick up than piano. I think its because movements in guitar, especially shredding are finer and more tuned. 7 years after starting the guitar, praciting about 2-3 hours day, I am probably BELOW average in terms of technical ability than the average guitarist that has played this long and worked this hard on the technical aspect of guitar. But sit me down in front of a piano and I can crank out most of those Liszt pieces I played 4 years ago without too much effort...its really weird. Guess I should have been a pianist
Quote by Souls United

The exact same thing can be said about guitar. Learn a few chords and you could probably put on a gig at the local coffee shop. I actually think that the guitar is easier to sound "adequate" at than the piano.

Aside from that, certain people are able to pick certain instruments more easily than others. Some are quick to learn piano, others guitar, and others the flute or accordian. It's dependent on too many factors outside of what type of technique each instrument requires. We aren't all identical robots.
Last edited by Paquijón at Nov 6, 2008,
Quote by Souls United

Intermediate is subjective. If I heard you play some slow beatles song I probably wouldn't say you were intermediate but you might, just as validly, think you are.

TS, the problem with your question is that there is no way of comparing the two. You could measure how long it takes you to learn the same piece on each, but that piece would almost certainly lend itself to one more than the other and so might you.

There is no common factor to measure both by, so telling which one's easier is impossible.
Quote by 12345abcd3

There is no common factor to measure both by, so telling which one's easier is impossible.

does there have to be a common factor?
you can learn them both.
and he asked which is easier to learn, as in a personal opinion.
I do believe we all have person opinions on things.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
In my opininon...piano was more difficult. Got to grade 3, worked on grade 4 for a while. Then started playing guitar and found it...i guess you'd say easier, and I thought a lot more fun to learn.
When you get up to shredding levels perhaps not though.

Rock on!
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
I think that the piano is much harder. I've been playing for about 10 years, and I've been playing guitar for 4, and I'd say I'm at a fairly equal standard on each. On a beginner's level, strumming a guitar is far easier than vamping on a piano. Plus, the co-ordination between the 2 hands is much more difficult on the piano.

That being said, I think that learning each instrument helped me immeasurably on the other.
Quote by Metfan1991
In my opininon...piano was more difficult. Got to grade 3, worked on grade 4 for a while. Then started playing guitar and found it...i guess you'd say easier, and I thought a lot more fun to learn.
When you get up to shredding levels perhaps not though.

Rock on!

I hate when people talk about grades cuz I never did that shit and I dont have a clue what you're talking about...

But yeah I just looked up some "grade 4" pieces on youtube and they are freakin easy...
Guitar is much harder (for me).
Everything on piano is much more visible and easily... seen.

A C Major chord, for instance, is a lot easier to play (and UNDERSTAND) when the intervals are easily perceived, as opposed to a guitar's already interval-ed string-based system.
My Rig:
Schecter 006 Diamond Series (Discontinued) Flat Black
Jackson JS30RR Metallic Blue
Line 6 Spider II 210
Boss TU-2
Sennheiser E835-S

Current Top 3:
Between the Buried and Me (Always)
The Faceless
Murder By Death
Quote by Archeo Avis
They are completely different instruments with completely different layouts, and are played completely differently. There is no comparison.

He didn't ask for a comparison, he asked which was harder. That's a fair question even though they are completely different instruments.

I wouldn't know of course cos I've only been learning guitar, but I would imagine it's harder to become a virtuoso on guitar than it is on piano.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
Last edited by mattiwillohouse at Nov 7, 2008,
He didn't ask for a comparison, he asked which was harder.

...and I responded by saying that the question is unanswerable because they are completely different. See how that works?

but I would imagine it's harder to become a virtuoso on guitar than it is on piano.

And you base that on what, exactly?
Quote by Archeo Avis
...and I responded by saying that the question is unanswerable because they are completely different. See how that works?

And you base that on what, exactly?

no, just no. it's not unanswerable for someone who has learnt both. they would tell you that either x or y was easier/harder to learn
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
no, just no. it's not unanswerable for someone who has learnt both. they would tell you that either x or y was easier/harder to learn

I do play both. Comparing them on a quality as vague as "difficulty" is completely ridiculous. You might have some sort of argument if you were talking about specific techniques, but you're not.
Guitar. It takes a lot longer to build up the calluses for guitar and the finger strength to hold down the notes than it does to...press a key.

Past the physical difficulties, they're both about the same in terms of musical difficulty.
It takes a lot longer to build up the calluses for guitar and the finger strength to hold down the notes than it does to...press a key.

I like the way you phrased that. Let me try...

It takes a lot longer to build up the finger strength to counteract the weighted keys in the lower register of a piano than it does to...press down on a string.

See what I did there? I completely oversimplified the techniques involved in playing a guitar for the benefit of my argument.
Piano is easier. On a guitar u are in direct connection with the string itself. It has a far easier "****up" to it then piano. That's why u see more bad guitar players then piano players.

I agree on that u can't compare em. But in general a piano is easier then guitar.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I find piano easier to improvise with, because you can learn where all the notes are in a matter of minutes. With the guitar I still dont know what notes are what, and takes me a while to go, yep thats definately an F#.
Anyway, I think you cant really say one instrument is harder to play than the other, because in reality they are completely different.
But I learnt guitar first, and it made learning piano a whole lot easier, because I already knew the theory and had built up my rhythm skills. So I was able to know what I was playing straight away.
Guitar's taken me a lot more time and dedication to get to an almost okay level with. Piano took three years of excruciating lessons by a crazy bitch to make me hate it. Then, once I quit, I started loving it again. I'd say all over, piano is easier to get a grip of.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Well I guess its safe to say some instruments are easier to learn for certain people then others?

Johny may kick ass on piano after 2 months of playing, but sucks on guitar after 2 months. and just cant get the grip of it.

While Bob Kicks ass on guitar after 2 months, and just cant get a grip on piano playing.

theres 6 billion people on this planet, and they are ALL different.
Quote by mattiwillohouse

I wouldn't know of course cos I've only been learning guitar, but I would imagine it's harder to become a virtuoso on guitar than it is on piano.

So you are saying Petrucci has worked harder then Rudess? :P
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 2