I'm looking for some popular, mainstream songs, not necessarily from any certain decade just any really popular songs that use odd time signatures in them.
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
money by pink floyd is in 7/8
and it was pretty mainstream way back when

someone could argue that master of puppets was a mainstream song during metallica's "metal years" and that song has some insane amount of time signature changes.
The intro (and all repeats of it) to Cream's White Room is in 5/4. The Mission Impossible theme is in 5/4 as well.

To everyone, please specify where the odd meter occurs and what the meter actually is.
I've been getting into the Dave Brubeck Quartet album 'Time Out' (its Jazz.) The whole thing is an experiment with odd time signatures, for example Take Five is in 5/4 and most people know that song.
Some Rush songs most people might know, like Tom Sawyer or Freewill and they've got some time changes.
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.
Porcupine Tree's song "The Sound of Muzak" is in 7/4. It obviously wasn't a pop hit but it is a pop rock song.
You know the indie band the cribs? Their sngs are genrally very simply but in the chorus of "Women's Needs" they throw a bar of 7/8 in every other bar.

Also, in Bloc Party's "Helicopter" there is the bit with the "oooooo"s that has a really odd stop in, the time signature for that is is something near to 3/4, but that doesn't quite work.

Late of the Pier have a few, and Bloc Party have a few more as well.

And the Strangler's "Golden Brown" has 3 bars of 3/4 followed by one bar of 4/4.

Those song's aren't completley in one odd time signatures, just the odd bars. All I can think of for now
The Ocean by Led Zeppelin has 7/8 bar in the main riff
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
Quote by seth's daddy
Money is actually in 7/4, as is Outshined by Soundgarden.

I thought this too untill i saw the making of dark side of the moon dvd last week and the sound engineer and Wright talk about it being in 7/8. Unless they are wrong about their own song?

EDIT: Another interesting tidbit i saw on that dvd was that Gilmour wanted the solo in 4/4 time so he wouldnt have to count the odd time. Hes admits this himself in the interview. It was a really cool dvd that has interviews of all the members and engineers I recommend it to any pink floyd fan or anyone interested in seeing artists sharing their techniques for creating songwritting mixing and recording. Very cool stuff.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Nov 6, 2008,
Quote by Myung-trucci
I've been getting into the Dave Brubeck Quartet album 'Time Out' (its Jazz.) The whole thing is an experiment with odd time signatures, for example Take Five is in 5/4 and most people know that song.

yeah Blue Rondo switches from 9/8 to jazzy 4/4 a bunch. all his time albums are great.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Them Bones by Alice in Chains is some kind of weird signature, not sure if its 7/4 or 7/8.
^The intro riff is in 7/8. The other riffs are in 4/4.

Rush's Limelight uses some 7/4 in the beginning.

To the guy who mentioned Mayhem, the question specifically said popular music. Let's keep the songs restricted to popular songs, please.
Dream Theater's "The Dance Of Eternity" is pretty much in everything EXCEPT 4/4 (except on occasion).

I can't really think of anything really really popular that's in any odd times.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Does 'Spoonman' by Soundgarden count as popular?

The main riff is 7/4
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
good stuff so far, I'm aware that dream theater has odd time signatures coming from everywhere, i love them. Money was a good example i was unaware of so were the rush songs. Keep them coming, I'd also like to see if anyone knows any songs like outside of rock/metal like maybe pop or something that uses odd time signatures. I know like 90% of it is in 4/4 but i'd like to find some exceptions =)
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^The intro riff is in 7/8. The other riffs are in 4/4.

Rush's Limelight uses some 7/4 in the beginning.

To the guy who mentioned Mayhem, the question specifically said popular music. Let's keep the songs restricted to popular songs, please.

I was under the impression that the whole song was in 7/8 and then I looked at the guitar pro tab and saw that the verse riff sounds off is because it's 2 quarter notes, then a dotted 8th note followed by a 16th note tied to an 8th... I guess that's what's so weird that was throwing me off for so long.
The verse riff is identical to the intro, or at least very close and still in 7/8. The chorus is in 4/4.

Yes, these old grunge bands (Soundgarden, AIC, Pearl Jam) count as popular. The Beatles they were not, but those guys were pretty big back in the 90s.

On the note of Peark Jam, Alive uses some 7/8 in the riff before the final chorus (and the awesome guitar solo to which I haven't listened in years and am about to correct!).
Quote by MadAudioMan
Them Bones by Alice in Chains is some kind of weird signature, not sure if its 7/4 or 7/8.

5/4 actually.