Things i have:
1. An Ibanez GRG150, it's low end but i like it. I will get a better guitar sometime in the future.
2. A Digitech Grunge Distortion pedal
3. A 10W Laney HCM amp. (Actually sounds decent)

I've been playing for about 2 and a 1/2 years now. I play reasonably well and i figure i need some better equipment.

So....stuff I'm getting very soon:
1. Danelectro Fish n chips Equalizer
2. MXR Phase 90

And coming to the crux of my post: I need a new amp. I have a few months to get it. I have about 200 to 250 dollars to use. After all I've read, it seems tube amps are good. I'd like a few suggestions in my price range. (all i've seen is the crate range)

Stuff that i play: Incubus, Lostprophets, RATM, Dream Theater, Bullet for my Valentine, Machine
Head (occasionally), Iron Maiden, Deftones, System of a Down, Pantera, Opeth
off the top of my head...

Also, i live in India, so availability *might* be an issue. Suggest a few things and i'll see if i can find them.
250 dollars will not get you a good amp for your styles, save up. Also, buying used might be more budget wise.
Quote by captainoid
250 dollars will not get you a good amp for your styles, save up. Also, buying used might be more budget wise.

+ 1

You would be better off waiting until you have some more cash, you might as well do this right.
$250 will not get you a versatile tube amp - you could get something good like a Crate V but it wouldn't be able to cover several genres...

You can either save up and get a nice, versatile tube amp or you could go with a decent modeler like a Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr.
What would be a versatile tube amp...and how much would i have to save up?

I'm in no hurry but i might have a band soon...i don't know if my Laney can cut it.

Are the Roland cubes good? It seems kinda odd to get a SS roland cube 30W for $245 when i can get a Crate V 50 for like 200.
What are the Crates good for?
Quote by unet

I'm in no hurry but i might have a band soon...i don't know if my Laney can cut it.

Are the Roland cubes good? It seems kinda odd to get a SS roland cube 30W for $245 when i can get a Crate V 50 for like 200.

Low end Crates arent the best for quality. If you really are going to be in a band soon, and you play metal, start looking for used 6505 combos (best case scenario)or higher wattage Vypyrs.
Quote by unet

Crate's don't have a great distortion for metal (at least the ones in your price range), that's my personal experience with them.
I have a Grunge distortion pedal.
I've read that they take pedals well.

Correct me if i'm wrong here but wouldn't the OD available on the Crate be great for Incubus/Lostprophets and maybe some RATM?
I could kick in the pedal for MH and Pantera and stuff.

Although I'm pretty sure i wont be doing metal in the band, just for personal practice.
(this is my first proper band)

I will check out the 6505 and Vypyr if i can.
Quote by unet
I have a Grunge distortion pedal.
I've read that they take pedals well.

Correct me if i'm wrong here but wouldn't the OD available on the Crate be great for Incubus/Lostprophets and maybe some RATM?
I could kick in the pedal for MH and Pantera and stuff.

Although I'm pretty sure i wont be doing metal in the band, just for personal practice.
(this is my first proper band)

I will check out the 6505 and Vypyr if i can.

If you're not playing nigh exclusively metal in your band, stay away from the 6505, the cleans are constructed of fail and shit. Get a vypyr, the hybrid ones are loud, and with the footswitch, they are versatile.

EDIT: I'd sell the Grunge pedal, with a Vypyr plus FS, you'll have so many more sonic options.
Last edited by captainoid at Nov 5, 2008,
For 280, the 30W Vypyr and the footswitch does sound pretty good.

How is the Vypyr? Is it better than the Cube Series?
Quote by unet
For 280, the 30W Vypyr and the footswitch does sound pretty good.

How is the Vypyr? Is it better than the Cube Series?

For metal no, but for most other things the Vypyr is better.
Just to clarify...i want something that can do the floowing:
1. Give me a good, sustainable clean.
2. Give me small amounts of dist/OD
3. Lots of Distortion with a Digitech Grunge
4. Takes other pedals reasonably well.

Metal is not necessary but id like to have the option.
Quote by unet
Just to clarify...i want something that can do the floowing:
1. Give me a good, sustainable clean.
2. Give me small amounts of dist/OD
3. Lots of Distortion with a Digitech Grunge
4. Takes other pedals reasonably well.

Metal is not necessary but id like to have the option.

1. Vypyr has models of Fender Twin and Tweed amps
2. Vypyr has plexi model, and higher gain models as well, possibly more w/ footswitch
3. Digitech grunge is a superfluous, as the vypyr has models of stompboxes in order to boost gain
4. With Sampera footswitch, you don't need other pedals, as it has wah, delay, and pitch shifter.

Vypyr has models of: 6505, Rectofier, Krankenstein (Dimebags sig?), JSX (Satriani sig), and XXX, so metal is doable.

/thread
Well a modeling amp like the cube/vypyr wont take pedals well. I would go the crate and a digitech badmonkey OD pedal, though that still wont get you maximum br00talz
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Okay I'm really liking the Peavey Vypyr now...I've only heard good things about it so far.
Any opinions on this amp?
Is 30 watts enough for band practice? (I've heard that this amp is REALLY loud)
Should i still get a phase 90 for gigs and stuff?

Regarding the Crate V...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf24tL6y-zA
He's not the best but that's really about all the metal i need.
And with the Grunge (or if i sell it, a better pedal), i'd probably get heavier tones right?

Plus, with the Vypyr, my soon incoming phase 90 will be useless.
And i REALLY want it.