Hey guys, you've probably read several of these posts by now, so here's another. Why not.

I need help with choosing a guitar.

Here's the deal, I have nearly zero experience with guitars (except for that high school guitar class 5 years ago I remember nothing about) and I'm looking at getting my first one. I want to spend no more than $300. You know, one that sounds great and is of good quality, yet I won't regret buying in a year or two when I upgrade.

I am a huge metalhead. Progressive, melodic death, metalcore, black, industrial, thrash, etc.. You name it I love it. This is the kind of music I want to play, but there's no reason I can't throw in some RHCP or Audioslave from time to time, and I'd like the guitar to handle music like that too.

Here's what I'm trying to decide between: Schecter Omen 6, Ibanez RG2EX1

I'd love to hear your thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks.
Last edited by moronicCOLOSSUS at Nov 6, 2008,
Schecter is definitely a good choice, they're very versatile. That'd be an awesome first guitar. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you'd want a whammy bar, but at this stage, that might just be distracting.

Guitar Center carries Schecter, I dunno if there's one in yer area or not, but that'd be a good place to start.
Take a look at Samick guitars great ptoduct! cheap prices!!
Electric Guitars Samick Torino,Jay Turser warlord, Jay turser jt-xg2( thats a double neck) New york pro Strat copy Acoustics Ibanez pf , new york pro and 3 nylons from the 70's
Schecter is good, definitely.

But check out the Jackson JS series Dinky, the JS is an entry-level series of guitars by them. The Dinky is a standard shape, like a Soloist, except Bolt-on instead of Neck-thru. I'd try the JS20.
got an amp?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
got an amp?

+1
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
what amp are you getting? alot of the sound of the guitar is gonna be the amp that your pushing it through
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Actually, kind of interested in the Ibanez RG2EX1 now... added it to first post.

I am looking at starting with a small cheap versatile amp for now. Probably Line 6 Spider III 15W.
no.,.....please dont
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
most folk in UG react to the spider the same was as vampires react to garlic. it is okay as a practice amp, but there are many other amplifiers out there way better than the spider. take the roland cube for example, or the vox valvetronix, if you want a modelling amp that is. i chose the cube30 as my first amp and i never regretted it. i still have it.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Alright duly noted. I'll look at the Cube and Valvtronix and do more research on an amp. Now back to the guitars perhaps?
The Roland cubes look pretty good. Could I get away with a 15X right now so I could save money and eventually upgrade, or go with a 20X that would last me longer?
Quote by moronicCOLOSSUS
The Roland cubes look pretty good. Could I get away with a 15X right now so I could save money and eventually upgrade, or go with a 20X that would last me longer?

Well Rolands are known mainly for their amp modelling, and the 15x and 20x are the only exceptions. i'd say you might as well get a microcube or a cube 30x. I still use my microcube all the time, it sounds pretty good for practice
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by gucio93
Well Rolands are known mainly for their amp modelling, and the 15x and 20x are the only exceptions. i'd say you might as well get a microcube or a cube 30x. I still use my microcube all the time, it sounds pretty good for practice

Well the 15X is cheaper than the Microcube by $25.
Rg2

You won't be disappointed.
BUY MY JACKSON
Quote by imgooley
I don't know what that shit (racer x or paul gilbert) sounds like.

Quote by DSchmitty
Gilbert is a bad riff writer.

Quote by JeffWiredBeck24

Treble - 0
Bass - 0
Mids - 0
Volume - 0
'Tude - 10
Whiny Voice - 10
Panties - White

Quote by Shabadoo
I brake for huge nuts
Quote by moronicCOLOSSUS
Actually, kind of interested in the Ibanez RG2EX1 now... added it to first post.

I am looking at starting with a small cheap versatile amp for now. Probably Line 6 Spider III 15W.

big no, as an owner of the exact same amp, you will regret that 2 weeks after buying it at the most.

get a peavey vyper for the same price. way better amp

Edit: oh and for the guitar id say get the first one.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
OK, I'm set with the amp. In fact I'll go down to the music store and check out some Rolands and Peaveys and see what I like best.

Anyway, I've edited the first post to reflect my situation. Help still needed with the guitars here guys.
Quote by moronicCOLOSSUS
I want to spend no more than $300. You know, one that sounds great and is of good quality, yet I won't regret buying in a year or two when I upgrade.

Sorry mate but those two sentences don't bode well together
I'd recommend the RG. Most of the complaints for that series are because of the Edge III trem, but that model has a fixed bridge (MUCH easier to mantain). Schecters are also good guitars though. The biggest difference you'll probably notice between the two is the neck. If one is more comfortable to play, pick that one. Also, the Ibanez has the V7 and V8 pickups, which are the same ones they put on the RG Prestige models (which are high-quality guitars). Doesn't say which pups the Schecter comes with. But yeah, try em out and pick whichever feels better.

Amp-wise, stay away from the Spider 3's. Check out the Peavey Vypyr 15 and the Micro Cube, as other have suggested
i had the same problem. i ended up buying the ibanez (which i bought yesterday) because it has EMG's in it. the shecter has humbucks in it. the schecter was more comfortable for me, but i got the ibanez cuz it has EMG's. but today, a bunch of my buddies told me that the schecter would be better if it had EMG's in it. than one of them told me that i could go back to guitar center, trade the ibanez in for a schecter, and than have them replace the humbucks in the schecter with EMG's. do u no if they'll do that? and if they will, do u no if they'll charge me anything for it? my friend ianey told me that theyd prolly charge me cuz a set of EMG's run for about 200 and a set of humbucks run for about 100. any suggestions? btw, i dont have any more money left, so i cant pay the extra fee for the EMG's, unless my dad pays for them, but he lives in alaska hes coming this weekend, but i need him to buy me a case, and idk if he'll be able to pay the extra fee if he buys me the case too. i only have about 13 bucks left, which im gonna use to buy a stand. any suggestions/help would be appreciated. thanks
Quote by stratdud39
go used

You beat me to it. I paid $130 for my guitar and $239 for my amp, both used. The amp is a Vox AD50VT, and my guitar is a Cort VS with Duncan pickups. The Cort is a great entry level metal guitar. If the name on the headstock was covered, most people would never guess it's a cheaper guitar. When I upgrade (if my playing progresses enough to justify it), I will still keep it.
+1 for going used. Look for at least the cube 30x or larger. The 15, and 20x are about as bad as it gets.

I don't check for Squiers too often, but I believe they have a humbucker or fat strat. That would be a good option.

I'd also look into ...
http://www.rondomusic.com/spadred.html
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Nov 17, 2008,
Go for the RG2EX1.
It was my first guitar, and I love it.

As for the amp.
I bought a microcube and it was great, and it is perfect portability wise.

But for sure check out a Cube 30, or microcube.
Those do metal pretty well.

Metal is the main thing I play and those did me just fine.