Well, I've replaced my acoustic's old strings with some Martin SP strings but I find the new sound to be too metallic. Know what I mean?? Come to think of it, I remember these strings having that metallic sound and not liking them when I bought my first set long ago.

Can anyone recommend a different brand that offers some nice clear tones without that cheap metal sound? I don't doubt Martin makes some high class equipment, but their strings don't suit me. I really regret tossing out my old ones lol.
Try playing them in. The brand new Martin SP sound is very metallic, but once they're played in... my GOD do they sound beautiful :O
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I recently changed my strings to Martin SP lights, I really like'm but i do notice the metallic sound, i dont have a problem with them though. I don't like the sound it makes when you switch from one chord to another, it makes a lot of noise, i guess i need coated strings? :P
=D
I guess we need a coating of grime and the top layer of the bronze worn down haha. I remember the times I used these strings, I had to replace them pretty often. Is that just me or do you get that too?
I replace strings every month, regardless of brand. I destroy elixirs in a month because of how acidic my sweat is. I dunno. Martins get a really nice played in sound after an hour or two. They seem to last pretty well for me. Any strings that can take my sweaty hands for a month is worth the money I pay. D'addarios just don't work for me.
Equipment:

Remember that not all strings suit all guitars and those strings may change from one guitar to the next. Play them in, if you don't like it, buy a different brand. Trial and error till you find a one you like.
Quote by Confusius
Remember that not all strings suit all guitars and those strings may change from one guitar to the next. Play them in, if you don't like it, buy a different brand. Trial and error till you find a one you like.

Agreed.

Dean Markley Alchemy strings sounded like crap on my Art & Lutherie Cedar top, however, they sounded pretty good on my Martin.
Equipment:

Quote by littlesparrow51
Well, I've replaced my acoustic's old strings with some Martin SP strings but I find the new sound to be too metallic. Know what I mean?? Come to think of it, I remember these strings having that metallic sound and not liking them when I bought my first set long ago.

Can anyone recommend a different brand that offers some nice clear tones without that cheap metal sound? I don't doubt Martin makes some high class equipment, but their strings don't suit me. I really regret tossing out my old ones lol.

I've noticed this with Martin SP strings too. The metallic sound will 'wear off' after a while, but it turned me off them.

I like the sound of D'addario EJ16 (0.012 gauge), so you could try them. They won't last as long as elixirs, but on the other hand they're not as expensive.
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
Last edited by AllUrBase at Nov 6, 2008,
I usually always use Martin strings on my guitar they have the "fresh metallic" sound at first but but keep playing it goes away and they sound great after
The world is full of Kings and Queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's Heaven and Hell
You might also want to try out the Martin Silk and Steels. The silvered outer wrap wire makes for some really sweet overtones. Really bell like qualities. Plus if you install and stretch them right, they hold their tune amazingly well, and they're quite bendy so barres and bends are really nice. I've been flip-flopping back and forth from these and the D'Addario EJ16's for a while now. I like the tone I get from the EJ16's, but they sort of trash out my fingers after longish playing sessions. The silkies are sooo much nicer on the fingers, but their main drawback is they don't last very long. That silver just tarnishes up too damn fast. But they sound killer once they're in their "sweet spot".