Alright, so after taking Steven Seagull's advice (DUDE UR THE BWEST!!!) i decided to learn a full song, under his recommendation, back in black by ACDC. So far i have gotten the intro, the continuation, up until the solo, i got to the first 2 "bumps" of the solo. Now the way i studied this song is by continually playing parts over and over until they were engrained (sp?) into my muscle memory, so it would sound sloppy. How ever this is time staking way.

So to compare with everyone, i have been playing for 3 months, a couple of hours a day, and this is my first song im learning (rather then a riff) it has taken me around 4 days to get until the solo (and the first 2 bumps of it) in 4 days as i practiced over and over so i would get it just perfect. Is this a "usual" time, or perhaps i shud pick it up .

Honest answers, i wont go crying to my mommy if u guys criticise.

Also hope that seagull will post ehre again with his wisdom (beginners, listen to him, he knows what he is talking about)
Quote by dethead666
hold on wait your saying your not a noob and your having trouble with back in black?

not having troubkle, just taking a long time to perfect it, sure i could learn it in a day, but play is sloppy as hell, but im taking my time. altho, i guess u could say im a noob, not denying it.
No, its not bad for the song and how long you been playing, but it also depends alot in you, not everyone progresses at the same rate.
i'm having trouble with stratosphere by stratovarius, which is supposedly an easy shred song and i've been playing 2 years.

don't worry, there is no "normal" time for someone to learn a song, everyone learns at different rates

do i need to dig up that kirk hammet video where he is struggling with a simple riff from a recent album?
Quote by Dance_of_Death
i'm having trouble with stratosphere by stratovarius, which is supposedly an easy shred song and i've been playing 2 years.

don't worry, there is no "normal" time for someone to learn a song, everyone learns at different rates

do i need to dig up that kirk hammet video where he is struggling with a simple riff from a recent album?

yes please
Quote by simplekin88
not having troubkle, just taking a long time to perfect it, sure i could learn it in a day, but play is sloppy as hell, but im taking my time. altho, i guess u could say im a noob, not denying it.

oh cause i'm just saying friggen any acdc song is pretty basic to play
hmm.. if you're having trouble with back in black id say ur a noob....

itll just take some time.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
dont try to play like any other guitar player does
learn it your own way
meaning what fingers you use and what strings you base it off of
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Learning your first complete song always takes a while, if only for the fact that it's the first time you've ever tried to remember so much guitar-related information in one go. It's not just about the playing, it's about remembering where everything goes - your brain is probably only used to remembering little 20 second snippets of riffs and intros. Just keep in mind that the "right" amount of time to learn it is however long it takes for you to get it right. The more songs you learn and the more you learn about the guitar and improve your basic technique then the quicker the process becomes.

Back in Black is pretty straightforward until you get to that sliding, descending "breakdown" riff....it took me a while to get that nailed.

And as far as Back in Black goes, this guy has the best lessons I've ever seen on that song.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AHnPvsjBSDU
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 6, 2008,
The word 'normal' doesn't apply to music. Everyone is different and however long it takes you is OK. I know a bass player who transcribed several Exodus songs by ear in a few hours. The same bass player took a week to learn a Smash Mouth tune. Why? Because his brain 'works' in thrash and the fingering and voicing came naturally to him.

Take your time, work it out by whatever method you need, and you'll eventually get it. The more you play the easier it'll get to pick up bits and pieces of songs.
the hard part about learning a full song, only 3 months into playing is that you're trying to put everything you've learned together. all the chords, and techniques are coming into play and you need to remember where they go as well as remembering the song. learning songs does get easier with time, when you're comfortable with your ability.

if you cant seem to progress through a song, take a break from it for a day or two, and focus on techniques. practice things like chord changes, slides, hammers and pulls, bending and vibrato. when you improve your technique, it's less you have to worry about when learning a song.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
most important thing to me is fretting everything cleanly and making sure your finger posture is good
in my case dropping my thumb and having my fingers perpendicular to the fretboard
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA