One of my brilliant coworkers decided to throw a magnet across the front of my laptop, and now the screen will fill up from the edges to the center with an odd grey haze. I don't believe it is the inverter because it doesn't flicker or dim, just fills up with grey, similar to when you apply pressure the screen. If the screen is in the right position it won't do it, and if it does I can sometimes get it to stop if I press on the corners, but no permanent fix.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be, or how to go about fixing it? I don't think degaussing it will help, as I think that only applies to CRTs.

Thanks.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
All screens do that if you put magnets to them; it screws up the electrons in the screen or something.

I did that to my TV a while back, and it went away after about three weeks. Wait a while, and if it doesn't fade or go away, get that bastard to buy you a new laptop.
Punch your co-worker in the balls, and add insult to injury: make him pay for a new one.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
its ****ed. may not be the case, but i did that with my tv. still got a big green spot in the middle
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
on the screen menu, there should be a demagnetize option that will clear the screen right up.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
i read the title as laptop screen meets midget
theres no midgets in here
Quote by foob85
All screens do that if you put magnets to them; it screws up the electrons in the screen or something.

I did that to my TV a while back, and it went away after about three weeks. Wait a while, and if it doesn't fade or go away, get that bastard to buy you a new laptop.

I did that on my TV a while back... well, maybe a year back...

It's still there. And a pretty good spot.

Also, this:

Quote by metalwarrior40
on the screen menu, there should be a demagnetize option that will clear the screen right up.
Quote by metalwarrior40

Can you tell me exactly how to get to that menu?

Thanks.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
Can you tell me exactly how to get to that menu?

Thanks.

Normaly it should be a button on your laptop... or somewhere where you can configure your screen colors, it should be there.

Maybe graphic card configuration menu... Not sure.

If your graph card is nvidia, right click on your desktop and choose nvidia control panel.
sometimes it will go away, wen taway on my old compujter when i did the same thing. But it was CRT so I dont know
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
it should go away with time, one of my old teachers waved a magnet in front of his tv as an example for our chemistry class. tv went pink for a month or so, but it went back to normal.