Hey guys im lookin for some help with getting a new graphics card.

I was thinking about the Gigabyte 9800 GT Overclocked due to its price and its comparison to the 8800 GT which ive heard is rather good.

My dad said he would consider letting me order this but he would like to know something about the PCI 2.0 before we purchase it. Im pretty sure my computer has the original PCI Express and not the 2.0. Am i going to get reduced performance at all from using a 2.0 card on an older slot?

I would also like to know if anyone can tell me the the size of a power supply this requires? Another graphics card similar to this needed a 400w and i didnt know if this would be the same. (I only have a 350w)

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

(I didnt know if this is considered gaming thread or not so if it is feel free to close)
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
PCI express 2.0 is backwards compatible. Your power supply will not let you run those cards though
OK well,
1st: PSU isnt big enough.
When getting another PSU, you should think about upgrade-ability. Dont get something that is JUST enough to run what you have. Thermal take make awesome PSU's and cases. Have a look into them.

Also, what else do you have? are you looking at upgrading CPU and all the other crap that makes up a pc?
No at the moment the only thing holding me back is my graphics card. Ive got a 2.8 duel core processor which gets me by for now and a gig of RAM. Right now ive got the Geforce 6600 GT which is an awesome card but its only got 128 mb of ram which quite outdated these days.

Edit: My dad said he might be able to find a bigger power supply around the house (he used to build computers a lot). If not i might be able to manage to scrape some money to get a larger unit.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
Last edited by jxmxaxn at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by Plarx
OK well,
1st: PSU isnt big enough.
When getting another PSU, you should think about upgrade-ability. Dont get something that is JUST enough to run what you have. Thermal take make awesome PSU's and cases. Have a look into them.

Also, what else do you have? are you looking at upgrading CPU and all the other crap that makes up a pc?

thermaltake do not make awesome power supplies, they make ok power supplies. (but they're cases are pretty good)

corsair make much better power supplies for great prices, the hx series is very good and you'll probably need at least the 520w model.

just make sure you DO NOT cheap out on the power supply, many people go generic brands and they cant deliver the right current consistently and cause all sorts of instability issues.

as for the PCI-E 2.0 and PCI-E, im pretty sure the performance difference is pretty negligible between the two
Quote by Diamond Dave
thermaltake do not make awesome power supplies, they make ok power supplies. (but they're cases are pretty good)

corsair make much better power supplies for great prices, the hx series is very good and you'll probably need at least the 520w model.

just make sure you DO NOT cheap out on the power supply, many people go generic brands and they cant deliver the right current consistently and cause all sorts of instability issues.

as for the PCI-E 2.0 and PCI-E, im pretty sure the performance difference is pretty negligible between the two

This man speaks the truth.
..is a girl
Quote by RPGoof
WAT
How about just send a ship at the speed up light directly to the sun, and the gravity will pull it towards the sun, thus speeding it over the speed of light.

Going up to a 9800 card might be overkill because you may run into a CPU bottleneck that limits what that card is capable of
If you upgrade anything else, add another gig of ram.
..is a girl
Quote by RPGoof
WAT
How about just send a ship at the speed up light directly to the sun, and the gravity will pull it towards the sun, thus speeding it over the speed of light.