Page 1 of 2
This will be my first electric, i've played acoustic for about 6 months, and im really wanting an electric, more my music style.

My budget is possibly $400, but I HIGHLY doubt it. More like $350. Im 13, its impossible to make money, and christmas is coming up and so is my birthday, for both i'll just ask for money wich is what will get me to the $350 or so. Please don't say save more. I just sold guitar hero. Don't have any other video games to sell. Cant sell our wii cuz its everyones, or else it would have been sold by now haha. Unless I wait another year, this is all i have.

I was thinking about squiers, my teacher has a squier (not sure which one) strat as one of his cheap guitars, and i've been playing it and i like it.

I want to play general rock., and some blues. No metal. Just like average rock haha. Not too hard. Maybe average cleans and average distortion. I think im gonna get a microcube.

Heres the squiers i was looking at. Please actually look at them haha

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Classic-Vibe-Stratocaster-50-s-Electric-Guitar-519338-i1400992.gc

This one looks like it could be okay.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-512573-i1172566.gc

This one looks pretty good, especially since its hss and im not 100%sure what i want to play. So i can experiment.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Stratocaster-SSS-Electric-Guitar-512572-i1172563.gc

This one also looks good.

Then theres this.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-with-Tortoise-Shell-Pickguard-102545761-i1166294.gc

Its $100 cheaper, but im not sure.

Does that hundred bucks make a big difference in quality? if it does then i wont get the standard. Which of the other ones is the best then?
for 350 - 400 dollars you can get a decent epiphone les paul standard> i would look into epiphone over squire. I would look around on www.musiciansfriend.com for stuff in your price range. Better yet go to a local guitar shop and try out as many guitars as you can in your price range.
If you are dead set on a squire i would spend as much as you have for your guitar. their is a reason why they cost more. Have you considered the cost of an amp? cords?
if you need everything- guitar, amp, chord... and you like squire, i would suggest getting the squire starter pack

it sounds super lame.. but IMO its crazy decent for the price. I did the same thing when i started playing- started with acoustic and then i got the squire starter pack thing. It lasted me a pretty long time then i got a new guitar haha. the only downside of this is that the guitar that comes with it isnt exactly the most amasing thing youve ever seen.. its definatly not as nice as the ones that were in the pictures you had up there.

also, i definatly suggest you check out epiphone because they have some decent quality, cheep guitars that play pretty nice.

but before you start going by brand and deciding your guitar, go to a guitar shop. try things that youve never heard of cause you never know.

good luck!
Quote by IPlaySchecter
for 350 - 400 dollars you can get a decent epiphone les paul standard> i would look into epiphone over squire. I would look around on www.musiciansfriend.com for stuff in your price range. Better yet go to a local guitar shop and try out as many guitars as you can in your price range.

But it has to be 350 to 400 with micro cube. It would be pushing it but it might be possible to get one of thos 300 squiers but barely.

I was also thinking about an epi lp studio, or an epi g400 used? any thoughts?
Yeah, 100 bucks makes a difference, (one third of the price). The one for 200 bucks is the one they put in their starter packs and it is crap. Squier has really upped the ante with their new lines, so you should be set with any classic vibe or vintage modified. I would go for the cherryburst Vintage Mod SSS, but a humbucker really makes a strat so much more versatile.
Duncan Designed pickups also gives is another plus in my book (they are same as US made, but made in Korea). However, I don't think I could ever bring myself to by a strat with a humbucker. It is so un-strat-like.
I think this would be better for you and more in your price range....
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Special-Electric-Guitar-102167889-i1146806.gc

Do you already have an amp? If not, try to get a package. A package usually comes with a strap, some picks, a guitar, and a amp. Something like this...
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Stop-Dreaming-Start-Playing-SE-Special-Strat-Pack-With-Squier-SP-10-Amp-104486238-i1177837.gc

edit: don't listen to anybody who's telling you to order a guitar over the internet! Never do that! Always go to the store (preferably a guitar store) so you can actually play the guitar before you buy it.
Last edited by alex0203 at Nov 6, 2008,
the best thing to do is get all your beans saved up. And actually go try out some guitars in your price range. See what one has the sound, looks and feel you want. There is such a wide variety out there. Maybe your local guitar shop may even have some nice used guitars. Nothing wrong with buying used, you get alot more for your buck. Just make sure it is in good form.
i have never bought a guitar on line. I will not buy a guitar until i have checked it out for at least an hour. even guitars of the same model are diffrent. their are lemons out there. And i am sure alot of those squires in those packs have some issues you would need to address. high action, intonation, etc...
As far as that price range goes and being you like Strats you can't beat this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-CLASSIC-VIBE-Stratocaster-60s-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519339

I have played this guitar at a few places and it's simply the BEST bang for the buck I have ever seen, and with the alnico 5 pickups you will be blown away on just how great it sounds! Trust me bro, this guitar is awesome! The tuners are the split shaft Klusons, tinted clear coat on the neck, aged knobs and pickups covers, so you have that cool vintage look and the thing has a Alder body! This is a guitar you will be playing for years! Look at what pro guitar players are saying about it all over you tube, and the rest of the internet!

Thats where i'd put my money!
whats the difference in the classic vibe 50's or 60's? also which is better for my music, classic vibe (50's or 60;s) or vintage modified? (sss or hss. dont know. HSS does sound kinda weird on a strat haha)?
also, when everyone is saying mim strat on these forums, i know that means made in mexico but, how can i tell which ones are if i were to get a used fender. Are the fender standard strat $400 mim? Used would that be better than a classic vibe or vintage modified?
Quote by nathanlamb
whats the difference in the classic vibe 50's or 60's? also which is better for my music, classic vibe (50's or 60;s) or vintage modified? (sss or hss. dont know. HSS does sound kinda weird on a strat haha)?
The '50s has a Maple fretboard while the '60s has Rosewood.

Also, get a decent tube amp like an Epiphone Valve Junior: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480260 I've seen them go from $99-129 new, during those huge holiday sales events. Wait for the Thanksgiving Sale.

Another option to the CV or VM Squier Strats is the Squier Affinity, it has an Alder body.

If you are going to purchase a second-line guitar, I would suggest an epiphone versus a squier. I personally despise squiers and think they are worthless and a waste of money. But the epiphones are still great quality for a low price. But if you like Fenders, then why not by a Fender Strat or Telecaster? They run about 400 bucks but if you get one used or on sale you can buy for cheaper.
Quote by Ippon
The '50s has a Maple fretboard while the '60s has Rosewood.

Also, get a decent tube amp like an Epiphone Valve Junior: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480260 I've seen them go from $99-129 new, during those huge holiday sales events. Wait for the Thanksgiving Sale.

Another option to the CV or VM Squier Strats is the Squier Affinity, it has an Alder body.

Highly Recommend 50's Vibe and the Epiphone Valve
its best to just save your money man. if you skimp out on a guitar and an amp, you're gonna regret getting them. you already have a nice start... just keep saving.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
If you are going to purchase a second-line guitar, I would suggest an epiphone versus a squier. I personally despise squiers and think they are worthless and a waste of money. But the epiphones are still great quality for a low price. But if you like Fenders, then why not by a Fender Strat or Telecaster? They run about 400 bucks but if you get one used or on sale you can buy for cheaper.

I was looking at the epi les paul studio or g400 for a while, but everyone says epi sucks until you hit the lp standard or higher???

Maybe a used g400?

Or maybe a used fender strat that normally costs $400?

How much is a difference in the cv or vm squiers, and the fender standard??? major difference?

And for the fender or g400 i know they're better for different types of music. But im really not sure what i want to play. I just know no metal haha

and why is the epiphone valve junior so nice?
how low do yall think a 400 fender or g400 or epi lp standard could go the day after thanksgiving?
I doubt they will be much cheaper the day after thanksgiving. I would still look into an epiphone les paul standard over any squire or mim strat. And since you dont want to play metal, i would definately look into the epiphone valve jr amp.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
I doubt they will be much cheaper the day after thanksgiving. I would still look into an epiphone les paul standard over any squire or mim strat. And since you dont want to play metal, i would definately look into the epiphone valve jr amp.

How much you think a standard used would be? I really cant go over 350 or 400 and if im getting a valve jr. cut out 200 haha.

If i got a distortion pedal, does the valve do good with it. Whats a good cheap distortion pedal?
if thats your max budget, you mentioned getting a microcube as an amp, good buy. I think with your budget though that the last guitar would be the only one you could get. Squiers arent really great guitars of course, but for what you pay they are usually good. Some can be suprisingly good, while others are just terrible.

try before you buy.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by nathanlamb
How much you think a standard used would be? I really cant go over 350 or 400 and if im getting a valve jr. cut out 200 haha.

If i got a distortion pedal, does the valve do good with it. Whats a good cheap distortion pedal?

boss ds-1 is only about 40 bucks, probably less depending where you go, and for what you pay its worth it. Digitech Grunge is also a pretty good cheap pedal which costs about the same, maybe a few bucks more.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
boss ds-1 is only about 40 bucks, probably less depending where you go, and for what you pay its worth it. Digitech Grunge is also a pretty good cheap pedal which costs about the same, maybe a few bucks more.

don't even think of chosing a grunge pedal over a DS-1....in fact, screw both, and save up for a Double Muff, or a Big Muff (USA)

Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
if thats your max budget, you mentioned getting a microcube as an amp, good buy. I think with your budget though that the last guitar would be the only one you could get. Squiers arent really great guitars of course, but for what you pay they are usually good. Some can be suprisingly good, while others are just terrible.

try before you buy.

my Jagmaster is an amazing guitar. I liked it more than the MIJ HH Jag...Better feel, and better tone.
Quote by Swap-Meet
don't even think of chosing a grunge pedal over a DS-1....in fact, screw both, and save up for a Double Muff, or a Big Muff (USA)

I prefer the ds-1 myself, and while a big muff would be great, he said he cant save up anymore and hes just starting out, the ds-1 is good for someone just getting their first electric guitar/amp/etc.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by nathanlamb

i would worry about the guitar and amp first. And then save up for a distortion pedal if you think you need one. You may not need or want one since you are not interested in metal. I just sold an ebony les paul standard to a student for $250.00. It went towards a purchase of my new ESP!
I would suggest a used epiphone g-400, I found mine at a local shop for like $270 and it still looks brand spanking new. Another idea would be to look on ebay or craigslist.com for a used fender strat, way better quality than the squire and they usually run for about $300 used, which is right in your price range.
dont listen to people saying spider III, it was my first amp, and even though most 15w ss amps arent good, you can do much better for a ss 15w amp.

instead, get the much better roland cube or a peavey vyper if you decide to get a 15w SS amp.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by necroscience13
dont buy a squier for 300$ when you can get a fender for 400$

That's bad advice, the top of the line squiers (classic vibe) play and sound better than the budget Fender MIM guaranteed if you can live with squier on the headstock.

X
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by nathanlamb
how low do yall think a 400 fender or g400 or epi lp standard could go the day after thanksgiving?

I just bought an Epi G400 last night on ebay for $228, and I've been watching epi LP's sell in the low to mid $300's. I've got a squier at the moment, and from what I've played with Epiphones I'd go for the epi, personally.
Quote by Madsalty
That's bad advice, the top of the line squiers (classic vibe) play and sound better than the budget Fender MIM guaranteed if you can live with squier on the headstock.

X

No. Just no.

The pick ups on the proper Fenders sound much better.
Quote by JilaX^
No. Just no.

The pick ups on the proper Fenders sound much better.

Have you played the Squier Classic 50's vibe telecaster? It blows the MIM tele out of the water.

X
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
G-400's are the best Epiphones there are. I use one, and it is a good quality guitar without having to buy an expensive Gibson. SG's work for a lot of kinds of music, so you can't go wrong with it. If you want to put extra money into a guitar, get the G-400.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
the g-400 is really good but dont get a spider
they're really terrible and get seprate pedals not multieffects aswell
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Don't listen to IPlaySchecters, he has very little idea of what he's talking about... spider III's aren't good, Peavey Vypyrs are.

I can highly recommend the Squier Classic Vibes, they play extremely well. At $300, they're a friggin steal. Better pickups than the MIM's (alnico III>>Ceramic for SC's, ya know).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 6, 2008,
Quote by lookitsjoshh
If your going to go squier why not get a telecaster?

idk are telecasters better than strats?

Also, which is better vm 50's or 60's?
If you need a good starter pack, I recommend this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Stop-Dreaming--Start-Playing-Affinity-Special-Strat-Pack-With-Fender-Frontman-15G-Amp-104487442-i1175988.gc
or, if you want HSS this
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Stop-Dreaming--Start-Playing-Affinity-Strat-HSS-with-Bullet-150-DSP-Amp-512576-i1174771.gc

I started with the SSS and it's a perfect satrter pack, has everything you could need to get started.

With the extra money, you could get yourself a good distortion pedal, since these amps built in Overdrive isn't too great.

If you already have an amp and stuff and your budget is $400, you might as well get a Fender Standard:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103630810-i1148847.gc
or Standard HSS
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103814638-i1148871.gc

Quote by nathanlamb
idk are telecasters better than strats?

Also, which is better vm 50's or 60's?

Strat vs Tele is completely personal preference IMO

I myself love strats over teles
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
If you need a good starter pack, I recommend this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Stop-Dreaming--Start-Playing-Affinity-Special-Strat-Pack-With-Fender-Frontman-15G-Amp-104487442-i1175988.gc
or, if you want HSS this
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Stop-Dreaming--Start-Playing-Affinity-Strat-HSS-with-Bullet-150-DSP-Amp-512576-i1174771.gc

I started with the SSS and it's a perfect satrter pack, has everything you could need to get started.

With the extra money, you could get yourself a good distortion pedal, since these amps built in Overdrive isn't too great.

If you already have an amp and stuff and your budget is $400, you might as well get a Fender Standard:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103630810-i1148847.gc
or Standard HSS
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103814638-i1148871.gc

Strat vs Tele is completely personal preference IMO

I myself love strats over teles

Are the affinity's any good? cuz if they are, i could get one (not starter pack since they're only $170) and maybe a roland 30?
Page 1 of 2