i have a gibson epiphone special model that is my main guitar and i usually keep it in e tuning. i bought a jackson performer ps4 a while back and was going to use this guitar strictly for d tuning since i am too lazy to switch between tunings. i never owned a guitar with a floating bridge before, and never realized how much of a pain in the ass it is to keep the jackson in tune. i am so tired of messing with it, all i want to do is play guitar, i want minimal work to keep it in tune and inn playable condition, and that's what i like about the gibson... it's so easy for an idiot like me.

anyways, i heard there is a way to take the floating bridge and make it "fixed" so that it isn't moving around(well not LITERALLY fixed to the body of the guitar, but preventing it from moving freely), something about tightening the springs all the way down or wedging a block of wood somewhere... can someone help me out here?
no way u just have to lock the strings (provided u have a reall floyd rose)
Yes you can have the trem blocked so it dont move. Thats what i would do. Me personally, i will not buy a guitar with any trem on it. I would rather play my guitars than monkey around with the bridge all the time.
Amen brother. There is a way to put a block of wood in the guitar but the easiest solution is just to get some really heavy springs and lock the trem down. This will mess with your action a bit, you'll have to do a set up. (I may be wrong. There are a few variations on the market. It worked for my crappy one though.)
If you tighten the springs alot and just block the side towards the neck, it will always stay in tune and you can still push it (but it is hard to press) also you will have to lock the fine tuners all the way down with pliers. But I really think you should take it to a really good setup guy and have him fix it. Mine works so sweet and never goes out of tune.
install a tremol-no. that should do it.
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
..1.) Do you have the trem locks at the nut?
2.) is it a new guitar/strings?That could be the problem.
I've always hated The Floyd Rose and Kahler trems..too damn complicated. I also hate/can't use floating trems, but thats because I don't play that way...the only one I know that does it right is Jeff Beck, and NO-ONE can touch this guy.

I have a Wilkinson trem on my Am Dlx Roadhouse Strat, but its adjusted for dive only, which means that its almost like a hard tail for everything else. Stays in tune just fine unless I really abuse the bar, or try to dive too deeply. I also put a dab of graphite or white grease on the saddles, string trees and nut slots whenever I change strings, and I have a graphite/teflon nut. mmmm....slippery
Floyd trems get alot of heat but are really quite nice if they are set up correctly. This means having the proper spring tension, bridge level with the body, and the correct height. There are certain players for Floyd's and other players for non-trem guitars. Different strokes . . .
Or, end all the BS of the FR's(can't stand 'em myself) and just get one of these sexy biatches:

It just looks complete with the Bigsby on it don't you think? Like the two were meant to be together.
Quote by Blaster Bob
Amen brother. There is a way to put a block of wood in the guitar but the easiest solution is just to get some really heavy springs and lock the trem down. This will mess with your action a bit, you'll have to do a set up. (I may be wrong. There are a few variations on the market. It worked for my crappy one though.)

Heavy strings isn't a solution, and what doesn "lock the trem down" mean?

TS, if you want to stop the bridge moving then block it with wood, simple as.

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
A lot of people buy guitars with a trem to find out later they don't like them.

The best thing to do is block it if you don't want to get a new guitar like in the two previouse posts. It's not that hard, cheap and you can do it yourself. I have several guitars with Floyds and they are a pain to keep tuned especially if you play it a lot. My BC Rich Mockingbird had the Floyd blocked but whoever did it ruined the Floyd by superglueing the blocks to the Floyd and body then tried to adjust it stripping the mounting screws. Luckly the local guitar shop had a used one he put on for a very good price. I wouldn't recommend glueing it and if you want to go back to using it, it's easier to remover the blocks. There are some items out there to help keep the Floyd balanced or locked. I am looking into them for my guitars with Floyds. I can't find the link to the company right now maybe someone can post a link. If I can't find anything I really like I'll try coming up with something myself that can be easily be used or locked when needed.
thank you everyone for the responses. i will try the wood blocks, or maybe buy the tremol-no
i use legos to lock my trem just like the wood blocks. i love my trems and only use this when doing a fresh set up or re stringing. i dont have access to alot of wooden blocks or the time to sand one down to a special size. a couple legos built to fit does the job perfectly for me.
Lego? That's actually a really clever idea!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Lego? That's actually a really clever idea!

thanks i was restringing my 7620 and i couldnt find anything on hand to wedge in there. i told my son i needed something this big to stuff in there (showing him the cavity in the back of my guitar) he came back with a block of legos he made that fit perfect. hes 12. tha was over a month ago. i used the same legos on my 7620 s7420 and my rg6er. restrung over a month ago. all tuned different. none of them have slipped even a minute amount out of tune! ( i use elixers is why i dont change strings often)
Last edited by jymellis at Nov 6, 2008,