i just got done scalloping the entire fretboard. i did the scallops on the higher frets and got to play around with them. im eager to see how it plays. i would put the neck back on but im refinishing the body. ill have to put a thread up to show how that turns out. im also going to put some clear coat on hopefully this weekend. pics:

I have an old fender neck.... and ive always wanted to do that.....

how long did it take... and what did you use?
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
could any of you answer a n00b question? what does scalping do for your playing, does it just change the feel of the neck or is there other reasons? looks fantastic btw.
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
did it damage the inlays at all?

I started scalloping an old Westone neck I had and it didn't damage the inlays at all, they go very deep into the fretboard
Takes a helluva long time though
ohai little sig.
Quote by winterXsolstice
could any of you answer a n00b question? what does scalping do for your playing, does it just change the feel of the neck or is there other reasons? looks fantastic btw.

when you are playing.... its a very free... feeling

being that it is scalloped... your fingers never actually come in contact with the fret board...

which can lead to faster playing
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by SlashYourFug
Are you sure they're deep enough? It looks like you might still touch the fretboard when you fret a note.
when i scalloped the higher frets there weren't any problems. i didnt do them quite as deep because i didnt want to damage the inlays. it should be fine though. if not i can always make them deeper.
Quote by winterXsolstice

scalloping = having more space between string and fretboard = easier bending and easier vibrato

at least that's what i think it's all about.
Quote by Diamond Dave
looks like you did a pretty good job man, i think they should be plenty deep enough. I think you'll have to re-finish the maple though
yeah i plan on using a clear coat. ive done it before, it will return to the original color of the fretboard.
Quote by necroscience13
yeah i plan on using a clear coat. ive done it before, it will return to the original color of the fretboard.

yeah i figured you knew you'd have to but i thought i'd mention it anyway

Great work on your guitar, but really it doesn't look like it's been scalloped enough to make much difference. Also, it won't make your playing faster at all, it actually makes it more difficult to play (source: Yngwie Malmsteen).

But other than that, it does look really fantastic and if you have the chance, you should go all out and just scallop it deep, you can replace the fret markers really easily.
Quote by kenan6346
Great work on your guitar, but really it doesn't look like it's been scalloped enough to make much difference. Also, it won't make your playing faster at all, it actually makes it more difficult to play (source: Yngwie Malmsteen).

But other than that, it does look really fantastic and if you have the chance, you should go all out and just scallop it deep, you can replace the fret markers really easily.
i saw that interview also haha. ill have to test it out first. i think it should be deep enough as is but if not ill make it deeper.
Quote by necroscience13
i saw that interview also haha. ill have to test it out first. i think it should be deep enough as is but if not ill make it deeper.

I guess that's the best thing to do, it's pretty much up to personal choice.