hi

tomorrow i'm going to a guy's house to look at a signature Zakk Wylde Les Paul with passive EMGs that this guy wants to sell me.
Of course i'll be judging it based on how it plays compared to the guitars they have in my local music store, but i'm a bit of anoob and wanted to get a general opinion from you guys.

Is a secondhand ZW LP worth $400 if it is still in good condition?

or, what is it worth, roughly?
Sounds like a really good deal to me. MF has it for $850. I'd go for it unless it was severely messed up.
Everywhere I've looked they're like $850 new, $700 B-stock. I've never personally played one, but if it's what you're into, it's in good shape, and it's what you want, go for it. $400 is more than half off, so just be cautious I guess.
I don't like the pickups, but for the money, if it's in good shape, I'd do it. You could always sell it with profit.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Pickguard_Ultra
why not, may i ask?

Just because I think it looks horrible and the EMG passives are awful, but if you like it then it's a pretty good deal.
Quote by Horlicks
Just because I think it looks horrible and the EMG passives are awful, but if you like it then it's a pretty good deal.

just to ask, how much does it roughly cost to buy a decent set of pickups and have them professionally installed?

To put the passive EMGs into context, the pickups my current guitar are the ones that come standard with a Squier Fat Strat, which i presume are shit. So compared to those the passives might not seem so bad.
Quote by Pickguard_Ultra
just to ask, how much does it roughly cost to buy a decent set of pickups and have them professionally installed?

To put the passive EMGs into context, the pickups my current guitar are the ones that come standard with a Squier Fat Strat, which i presume are shit. So compared to those the passives might not seem so bad.

You can get two active EMG's for $100 each. That'll cost you like $600 total but if the guitar is almost in pristine condition, you're getting a ZW LP with two active EMG's for $250 less than what one with shitty passive EMG's costs. Seems like a good idea to me. Oh and yes, those pickups in your Fat Strat are complete shit. I would think even passive EMG's are much better.
Quote by Pickguard_Ultra

It isn't really worth upgrading pickups until you get a higher-end amp. I'd say save for an amp after this before considering pickups.
Quote by Horlicks
It isn't really worth upgrading pickups until you get a higher-end amp. I'd say save for an amp after this before considering pickups.

yeah i'm getting a jcm (i think it's called?) 800 i think, soon.

can anyone describe to me the problems with passives?
Quote by Pickguard_Ultra
yeah i'm getting a jcm (i think it's called?) 800 i think, soon.

can anyone describe to me the problems with passives?

It's not passives in general, it's just the EMG passives in that guitar are pretty poor.
Quote by Horlicks
It's not passives in general, it's just the EMG passives in that guitar are pretty poor.

cool.

and the difference between passives and actives is?
Active pickups run off a battery and generally give a bigger output. Passive pickups are the opposite.

New pickups are maybe $150 for two pretty good ones; don't upgrade the pickups until you've heard them through your new amp, though. They might sound good. And you won't find a deal like that too often on the guitar; I'd guess the going rate on those used would be in the $600s.

Inspect the guitar to make sure everything is in order and it's not a Chinese knockoff or anything, though.
I think its a very good deal (pending the condition is good). I liked the pups.
If it is in good condition this is a good deal. The guitar is not worth 850 new imo, it's not as good as combarably priced models from other companies. I wouldn't even pay 600 for a new one. But 400 in good condition? Deal!
The EMG HZs aren't all that great, but again, for 400 you can't complain. They are not as horrible as people here make them out to be. They just don't stack up against good passives like Duncans or Dimarzios. They are still better than any other stock pup you'd get within 400 bucks.
If you can, bring a friend who knows more about guitars to properly inspect the Epi. Things like neck bow and fret wear have to be checked on a used guitar.
I have this guitar... if you can get it for that, and can stand the weight of the guitar and thickness of the neck... you should get it. It's pretty nice, just heavy, and the neck is pretty thick.