So the other day I saw a thread here and the dude wanted to see how people thought he's progressed as a guitarist so far; actually I believe it's still on the first page of the forum. Anyway, I was wondering how people would say I've progressed so I decided to make a thread like his. lol

I've been playing for a little less than a year and a half (only by a couple weeks so basically a year and a half) and the full songs I can play are "Tears Don't Fall", "Room 409", and "Hand of Blood" by Bullet For My Valentine, "Killing In The Name Of" by Rage Against The Machine, "Laid to Rest" by Lamb of God, "Before I Forget" by Slipknot, "The Unforigven I" by Metallica and some lame punk rock songs or songs by Linkin Park which aren't really worth mentioning because they're extremely easy and won't help in gauging my skill anyway since they're so much easier than the songs I've listed.

Songs I can play all of excluding the solos are "Waking the Demon", "Eye of The Storm", "Deliver Us From Evil" all by Bullet For My Valentine, "Six" by All That Remains", "Take This Life" by In Flames, "Beast and the Harlot", "Afterlife", "Bat Country" all by Avenged Sevenfold, "Madhouse" by Anthrax and some others but this post is getting way too long and the songs listed are most of the hardest songs I can play anyway so yea lol.

Might as well add that I can also play some riffs of Metallica songs like "Enter Sandman", "Sad But True", "Blackened", "...And Justice For All", "Ride The Lightning", and "Master of Puppets" but it's all just the intros and main riffs of those songs.

...Oh and I can play "Jordan" by Buckethead
(I scoff at all who believe that)

At any rate, just honestly tell me what you think and if you have something negative to say, some constructive criticism would be appreciated along with it instead of just "YOU SUCK". Included with "YOU SUCK", I'd like to know how you think I can not suck anymore. XD And even if it is something positive, constructive criticism or just a tip in general would be nice. I'm always looking for ways to get better. :]
sounds like youve learnt a lot of stuff nice work
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Quote by RC52190
So the other day I saw a thread here and the dude wanted to see how people thought he's progressed as a guitarist so far; actually I believe it's still on the first page of the forum. Anyway, I was wondering how people would say I've progressed so I decided to make a thread like his. lol

Yeah the threads still around so you should have read through it.

That way you'd have realised that nobody can give you an assessment of your playing without actually listening to it. Record some stuff and post it, then people will give an honest assessment of your progress.
try posting a video or an track on your profile instead of listing a bunch of songs
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Free
Yeah the threads still around so you should have read through it.

That way you'd have realised that nobody can give you an assessment of your playing without actually listening to it. Record some stuff and post it, then people will give an honest assessment of your progress.

Well the stuff I've listed is what I have pretty well mastered so I was just looking to give a pretty close idea of my skill level because I don't have a mic to record or anything. XD
YOU think you've mastered it. Unfortunately for the most part people will say that and be so far off the mark its untrue. I'm not suggesting that applies to you but for most beginners its true.

If you want to be taken seriously and get some positive feedback then post some clips, if you just wanna a boost to your ego then hell yeah you rock.

Quote by RC52190

I've been playing for a little less than a year and a half (only by a couple weeks so basically a year and a half) and the full songs I can play are "Tears Don't Fall", "Room 409", and "Hand of Blood" by Bullet For My Valentine, "Killing In The Name Of" by Rage Against The Machine, "Laid to Rest" by Lamb of God, "Before I Forget" by Slipknot, "The Unforigven I" by Metallica and some lame punk rock songs or songs by Linkin Park which aren't really worth mentioning because they're extremely easy and won't help in gauging my skill anyway since they're so much easier than the songs I've listed.

Songs I can play all of excluding the solos are "Waking the Demon", "Eye of The Storm", "Deliver Us From Evil" all by Bullet For My Valentine, "Six" by All That Remains", "Take This Life" by In Flames, "Beast and the Harlot", "Afterlife", "Bat Country" all by Avenged Sevenfold, "Madhouse" by Anthrax and some others but this post is getting way too long and the songs listed are most of the hardest songs I can play anyway so yea lol.

Might as well add that I can also play some riffs of Metallica songs like "Enter Sandman", "Sad But True", "Blackened", "...And Justice For All", "Ride The Lightning", and "Master of Puppets" but it's all just the intros and main riffs of those songs.

...Oh and I can play "Jordan" by Buckethead
(I scoff at all who believe that)

At any rate, just honestly tell me what you think and if you have something negative to say, some constructive criticism would be appreciated along with it instead of just "YOU SUCK". Included with "YOU SUCK", I'd like to know how you think I can not suck anymore. XD And even if it is something positive, constructive criticism or just a tip in general would be nice. I'm always looking for ways to get better. :]

learning to play guitar aint all about learning other people's sh1t. What do you know about scales/modes/constructing chords etc??

if you just learn certain songs then all you'll ever know is those songs. If you learn the theory you'll be able to do so much more, and even lay some of your own stuff down.

Also, I agree with the last guy - I've thought I had something down before only for my mate to tell me it sounds awful in places. Everyone's ear is different.

don't get me wrong, if you can play those track then yeah you'll sound cool enough, but for me learning the guitar isn't about playing the sweet child o' mine riff and saying 'how am i doing so far?'
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
Quote by Free
YOU think you've mastered it. Unfortunately for the most part people will say that and be so far off the mark its untrue. I'm not suggesting that applies to you but for most beginners its true.

If you want to be taken seriously and get some positive feedback then post some clips, if you just wanna a boost to your ego then hell yeah you rock.

LOL Well I'm not saying I've mastered every little bend and vibrato and can basically play the song PERFECTLY, but the songs listed are the songs I've BASICALLY mastered (Like make a mistake or two here and there you know?) I don't know if that applies to me but I don't think it really does. XD

I would be glad to upload clips but no mic. ): I need to buy one and post some but I was hoping people could get a general idea of how good (or bad) I am and tell me, that's all, but I didn't make it for an ego boost... Or maybe just a little bit. >.> I was just hoping lots of people would say I'm good but I don't exactly expect that. XD
Quote by mattiwillohouse
learning to play guitar aint all about learning other people's sh1t. What do you know about scales/modes/constructing chords etc??

if you just learn certain songs then all you'll ever know is those songs. If you learn the theory you'll be able to do so much more, and even lay some of your own stuff down.

Also, I agree with the last guy - I've thought I had something down before only for my mate to tell me it sounds awful in places. Everyone's ear is different.

don't get me wrong, if you can play those track then yeah you'll sound cool enough, but for me learning the guitar isn't about playing the sweet child o' mine riff and saying 'how am i doing so far?'

Um, I've made the guitar tracks for 18 full songs and have two others in progress. I have at least two guitar tracks in each (For me and my friend to play) and a backing track wherever needed. I just tab all the stuff in a tabbing program and hear it all played together on there. Granted it doesn't sound like it should but I can get a good idea of how it will sound and go from there. I don't play bass or drums but I threw in a couple parts here and there where I thought they would sound pretty good.

Honestly, I don't know much of theory and scales and modes and all that, if anything at all. I moved 6 months ago and haven't had a guitar teacher since then so I've just been trying to get better on my own.

lol Maybe it wouldn't sound as good to other people as it sounded to me. I don't know if it really does sound like I have those songs mastered or not but it sounds like it to me I guess. For the record I've had a couple of friends tell me tracks I've covered sound pretty good and my guitar teacher was really impressed by the "Room 409" solo when I played it in front of him, and he's not the type of person to just act all "OH SHIT" every time one of his students plays something just to make them feel good. XD
Quote by RC52190
Um, I've made the guitar tracks for 18 full songs and have two others in progress. I have at least two guitar tracks in each (For me and my friend to play) and a backing track wherever needed. I just tab all the stuff in a tabbing program and hear it all played together on there. Granted it doesn't sound like it should but I can get a good idea of how it will sound and go from there. I don't play bass or drums but I threw in a couple parts here and there where I thought they would sound pretty good.

Honestly, I don't know much of theory and scales and modes and all that, if anything at all. I moved 6 months ago and haven't had a guitar teacher since then so I've just been trying to get better on my own.

lol Maybe it wouldn't sound as good to other people as it sounded to me. I don't know if it really does sound like I have those songs mastered or not but it sounds like it to me I guess. For the record I've had a couple of friends tell me tracks I've covered sound pretty good and my guitar teacher was really impressed by the "Room 409" solo when I played it in front of him, and he's not the type of person to just act all "OH SHIT" every time one of his students plays something just to make them feel good. XD

good for you dude, maybe i misread you a little at first. I defo reckon you should start learning theory though cos it opens up so many avenues you'll be amazed. I've been learning for about 6 months and it's a bit mind boggling at times, but every time it clicks and you learn something new it feels great!

Quote by zimmzimmer
Quote by mattiwillohouse
good for you dude, maybe i misread you a little at first. I defo reckon you should start learning theory though cos it opens up so many avenues you'll be amazed. I've been learning for about 6 months and it's a bit mind boggling at times, but every time it clicks and you learn something new it feels great!

Thanks a lot, man.

lol Yea I've been wanting to learn theory and stuff but I actually haven't really made the effort because I figured I'd need a teacher to help me through it and I haven't had one for a while. XD One thing I have against theory and all that crap though is that every person I've come across who knows it basically looks down on me as a musician and thinks I'm worth shit as a guitarist because of it. I had one dude say to me "You aren't even a real musician if you don't know theory" like you can't play music or some shit if you don't know it. LOL I found that to be a purely ignorant statement. It probably would make me much better if I learned it but I hate how people think you completely SUCK if you don't. >.>
Quote by RC52190
Thanks a lot, man.

lol Yea I've been wanting to learn theory and stuff but I actually haven't really made the effort because I figured I'd need a teacher to help me through it and I haven't had one for a while. XD One thing I have against theory and all that crap though is that every person I've come across who knows it basically looks down on me as a musician and thinks I'm worth shit as a guitarist because of it. I had one dude say to me "You aren't even a real musician if you don't know theory" like you can't play music or some shit if you don't know it. LOL I found that to be a purely ignorant statement. It probably would make me much better if I learned it but I hate how people think you completely SUCK if you don't. >.>

Real musicians don't look down on beginners, or the less knowledgable. It's just not cricket. Anyone who thinks you suck cos they're more advanced than you is fcukin high or somethin.

generally the people on these website forums are here to help, so just ask questions! I do and they're usually really helpful. you get the odd a55hole but, such is life.

There's some good lessons on UG too about theory, no need to pay a teacher, I haven't spent a dime yet! (apart from my guitar gear that is!)

Quote by zimmzimmer
Quote by mattiwillohouse
Real musicians don't look down on beginners, or the less knowledgable. It's just not cricket. Anyone who thinks you suck cos they're more advanced than you is fcukin high or somethin.

generally the people on these website forums are here to help, so just ask questions! I do and they're usually really helpful. you get the odd a55hole but, such is life.

There's some good lessons on UG too about theory, no need to pay a teacher, I haven't spent a dime yet! (apart from my guitar gear that is!)

Yea but I've known some real snobby ones I guess. XD It just seems that when most musicians get to the point where they know that stuff, they just think they're THE sh1t and anyone who doesn't know what they know just isn't lol.

I wasn't talking about the people on UG btw. I don't really get crap from anyone on here. A good majority of the people on here are pretty cool and surprisingly nice for a forum site. :] I just mainly meant people I've met face to face.

Yea, sometimes I check out some of the lessons but I probably haven't taken advantage of them like I could be doing lol
Quote by RC52190

idiot.
Quote by Swap-Meet
idiot.

That makes me an idiot, how...? lol
I can see how making the statement of calling me an idiot without any explanation makes you much smarter than I'll ever be.
Quote by Swap-Meet
I'm in the lame ass punk rock band that's gonna go into a studio and record...How about your band...oh that's right, you're not in one.

That's because I decide to keep my dignity and play music that sounds good instead of resorting to stuff that sounds gay to try to cut myself a record deal. If we all played lame-ass music that takes no talent then we could all just make it big because all the people who listen to mainstream crap love the said lame-ass punk bands
Aw that's cute. You think you're a real guitarist even though you're going to play a Squier to record and most likely do gigs if you get any. I'm sorry, my parents brought me up better than to make fun of the mentally disabled.
Quote by RC52190
That's because I decide to keep my dignity and play music that sounds good instead of resorting to stuff that sounds gay to try to cut myself a record deal. If we all played lame-ass music that takes no talent then we could all just make it big because all the people who listen to mainstream crap love the said lame-ass punk bands

ha, my band is nothing close to being main stream....pretty much all sub genres of metal are much more mainstreem genre than street punk will ever be.

and dude, you're bitching about mainstreem crap?

dude...you like metallica...all your favourite bands are on major labels.

Quote by RC52190
Aw that's cute. You think you're a real guitarist even though you're going to play a Squier to record and most likely do gigs if you get any. I'm sorry, my parents brought me up better than to make fun of the mentally disabled.

1) There are professional musicians that use the SQUIER Jagmaster, and i like it more than many more expensive guitars.
2) I am getting a new guitar
3) Yes, I've played quite a few gigs, how about you?

also, if you had any knowledge about guitars, you'd know that the majority of your tone comes from your amp, and my amp is really good, and my squier sounds great through it.

enjoy your spider.
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by RC52190

+1
IV:XX
its funny that you mock punk bands, and yet many of them are better guitarists and musicians than you. and then you name some of the most steretypical hard rock/metal bands as stuff you play, which just makes you look like some arrogant metal-head. i mean honestly, you need to be open to more types of music if you want to really progress as a guitarist. and this is no place for bashing other people's taste in music.

combine that with the fact that no one can really judge how good you are without hearing you, and weve got a pointless thread. you say you can play these songs, but no one knows how well or anything. so just to save you from yourself...
*closed*