Page 1 of 2
Hey, I've been playing guitar (self taught, never bothered with any lessons) for four years now, and I realise that I know NOTHING about guitars at all.

Other guitarists I know go on all the time about types of guitar, I sit there not having a clue what they are on about, I know some makes of guitar like Gibson, Jackson, But when it comes to models and whether they are good, i know zilch.

I know NO musical theory, I don't know what chords are what, or anything about scales or anything.

All I know is how to read tabs, and I can play pretty well (but not brilliant for four years). I know the names of a few techniques too like sweeping, and alternate picking.

But really, for someone who has been playing for so long. I know jack-all

So is there anyone else here who's been playing for a good few years, knows how to play, but knows basically nothing about guitars?

Please make me feel better and less stupid
Get at least a grasp of basic theory NOW! Then you will see the improvement to take you to brilliant, and you will learn to know what the hell your playing.
youd be a lot less "stupid" if you got lessons
so get lessons
their worth every dollar
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
I've been playing for about 4 years, and i've never tried to learn theory, but i just cant avoid it. You must have deliberately ignored or something it my friend
God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed.
Really? Damnn haha

Does anyone know of a good set of online video tutorials to watch maybe? I don't have time to go and get lessons really (or money too with paying rent ect). So if anyone knows some good guitar for begginers online lessons, links would be very much appreciated.
Quote by FuZzY(aus)
so get lessons
their worth every dollar

So is an English tutor
Quote by Thepoison92
So is an English tutor

good point
its 9 20 here and im tired
i can be excused.....
no i cant you can never be excused for bad grammar...
yeh youtube seems the way to go for you man
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
I've been playing for about three years, and have been in about the same situation. Thankfully, I'm learning quite a bit of music theory in my current guitar lessons. The first teacher I had taught me nothing.
Youtube? Ok I'll give it a try. I also stopped being lazy and googled it and found a good looking site full of free lessons so I'll start there.

If anyone knows (from experience preferably) a good site to use. then please, share the wealth.
for theory, go here and slowly work your way through that. And start hanging out in Musician Talk more and check out the stickies in there.
Quote by JackalUK
Get at least a grasp of basic theory NOW! Then you will see the improvement to take you to brilliant, and you will learn to know what the hell your playing.

This. I was playing for about a year and a half in the same way as you, and then started lessons. It's amazing how quickly you get better.

And JackalUK, I dig the Never Mind the Buzzcocks reference in your sig
Quote by The4thHorsemen
for theory, go here and slowly work your way through that. And start hanging out in Musician Talk more and check out the stickies in there.

Ahh excellent, EXCELLENT! (sorry been playing too much fallout 3) that one looks nice n clear, I'll go start learning, and hopefully improving from doing so.
Don't know much about actual makes and guitars (do know a little though) but have a basic grasp of theory, I would learn if I wasn't so lazy..........
Quote by benjabob
Ahh excellent, EXCELLENT! (sorry been playing too much fallout 3) that one looks nice n clear, I'll go start learning, and hopefully improving from doing so.

Same, it's an awesome game.
learning theory is kind of the key =)

i knew theory for ages before hand, like scales and etc, i hav eonly been playing for 7 months, but i recomend learning about harmonies, and chords and their inversions and variants. thats what seperates medicore from great.

i can already play most things that i want to, the theory is the materials to music, but your hands and guitar are the tools to make the art
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
After looking at that lesson that was posted earlier on, on this site, I decided against it. It's far too complex and is not suitable for a newbie to guitar theory. I'm gonna go with the first set I found via google (http://www.theorylessons.com/) which were explained much better, but when I understand theory, I know that the lessons posted on here will be useful, so thank you anyway.
Last edited by benjabob at Nov 6, 2008,
This thread is like bizarro world to me. Seriously, I'm a total guitar nerd and know a lot of theory and also a lot about different models and how good they are, mainly because I MUST play every guitar I see. I'm kinda obsessed with guitars.

Hey ts, listen to the guys and gals in this thread and get lessons, or learn some music theory from books or web sites at least. It will help with your playing.
Quote by FuZzY(aus)
so get lessons
their worth every dollar

yep, get lessons, they will help so much, also buy something like "guitar for dummies". it will familerise you with the techniques and help you learn more.
i've been playing 2.

i can play like a mother****er (on speed)

i'm pretty average at theory.

and i know absolutely nothing about technology.

edit: oh yeah, that's 2 years self taught.
I know quite a lot of theory and I'm a pretty decent player.
But I know fuck all about pickups, wood types etc. Even strings I don't know much about (except for what physics tells me).
Quote by FuZzY(aus)
so get lessons
their worth every dollar
This.
I'd still be horrible without my lessons. The techniques my teacher taught me to improve speed, strength, co-ordination and control helped me phenomenally. Get lessons. NAO!
i know about guitars, scales, i read music super slow, but what i know nothing about is amps. like when people compare amp tones and things like that im completely lost. i know what sounds bad but i dont go into music stores and play on different amps or anything, same with guitar brands i guess. i've heard that bc rich is bad or something, but i dont really know which brands are "better" or the tones that come from each individual brand.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
since i also need to learn more about theory, any tips for me other than getting lessons, seeing absolutely no one around here teaches lessons.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Uerm, I have quite a good knowledge of theory, and I can read music - an ability which seems rarer every day. But I have barely any knowledge of the electronic side of the instruments; some of my friends go on and on about different pickups and their specifications, every aspect of guitars and amplifiers and I just feel like going to sleep, I find that sort of stuff just so dull.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I played guitar in a music academy for 4 years .. and 90% of the people here play better than me (90% of UG that is .. not the pit )

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

as far as the hardware side of things go, just hang out in the Electric Guitar and Guitar Gear & Accessories forum and you'll pick up a shitload in no time

EDIT:
Quote by noxiosimitator
I played guitar in a music academy for 4 years .. and 90% of the people here play better than me (90% of UG that is .. not the pit )

if you mean power chord academy i'm not surprised
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Nov 6, 2008,
thats what we are here for, to help you progress in your knowledge about 6 (or4/5/7/8/12) string wonders
i dont know anything either when it comes to all the different small things that go into a guitar but whatever as long as I can good it doesnt matter to me
I SAW YOUR MOMMY AND YOUR MOMMYS DEAD
learn a buttload of scales practise a few every day for at least an hour or two and then when you are writing songs you will know what certain sounds on the fretboard sound like and might even be able to write some solo stuff, of coarse if thats what your into
same boat here, can play decently after about one solid year of playing but know very little theory.
I've been playing for about 5 years now, and I know a pretty good amount of theory, scales, modes, etc... but I don't know a damn thing about the technical aspects. People talk about single coil pickups, and Floyd Roses, and all sorts of amp things, and I just sort of nod my head and go, "Yeah, that makes sense! I totally know what you're talking about!" But inside I'm weeping at my lack of knowledge.
I've been playing for three and a half years and I don't know as much about guitars and equipment as I should, i'm fine with theory though because I take lessons. For information abotu equipment and stuff just read through the forums and you will start to pick it up.
She's a song unsung, she's a wild orchid in your ugly swamp.
Quote by benjabob
Hey, I've been playing guitar (self taught, never bothered with any lessons) for four years now, and I realise that I know NOTHING about guitars at all.

Other guitarists I know go on all the time about types of guitar, I sit there not having a clue what they are on about, I know some makes of guitar like Gibson, Jackson, But when it comes to models and whether they are good, i know zilch.

I know NO musical theory, I don't know what chords are what, or anything about scales or anything.

All I know is how to read tabs, and I can play pretty well (but not brilliant for four years). I know the names of a few techniques too like sweeping, and alternate picking.

But really, for someone who has been playing for so long. I know jack-all

So is there anyone else here who's been playing for a good few years, knows how to play, but knows basically nothing about guitars?

Please make me feel better and less stupid

same here man
Page 1 of 2