Page 1 of 2
I couldn't find anywhere else to put this, so, I thought The Pit would do.

My question. Does anybody have any ideas for creating an original logo for my band?

Like, what pointers do you have, advice, stuff that can help really.

We've been trying to sort this out for ages, but we want a logo that looks unique in a way, but is similar in style to those of 80's metal bands, and we want something that people can understand when they see it and it doesn't look like a style of scribble.

The tools I have at hand are PhotoShop CS 2.0, a Hi-Res scanner, pens, paper.

What tips do you have?
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Design something good.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
What I'm asking though is, like, tips and techniques on how to go about doing this.

I'm not a graphic artist, I cant draw like crap, and I have friends that can draw, but, they don't have the techniques on how to draw the kind of logo that we want done.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Quote by Mootallica
What I'm asking though is, like, tips and techniques on how to go about doing this.

I'm not a graphic artist, I cant draw like crap, and I have friends that can draw, but, they don't have the techniques on how to draw the kind of logo that we want done.

Then ask those friends that can, and supply them with existing examples of the kind of thing you're going for, and say "can you design something like this for my band? pwetty pwease?"
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Anyone else find those neo-death0rz-core0rz-grnd0rz bands with the huge logos that look like someone has turned on EVERY available filter and effect annoying?
Quote by Jackolas
Anyone else find those neo-death0rz-core0rz-grnd0rz bands with the huge logos that look like someone has turned on EVERY available filter and effect annoying?

*raises hand*

The key to a successful logo is KISS.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
*raises hand*

The key to a successful logo is KISS.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

I agree.
Quote by Jackolas
I agree.

Good man.

Great minds think alike!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

And this is why I came here

Simple Logo's are the greatest, but, they need to be simple with style as well.

My favourite logo has to be the Exodus logo, by far.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
Search around the internet for existing fonts and alter it to your liking. Keep it clean and simple and make sure to produce it in a fairly high resolution file to keep it from looking blur
My Gear

Fender 2006 Highway 1 Stratocaster with SD Hot rails on Bridge
ESP LTD F-104 Bass
Roland Cube 30
Boss 0D 20 Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by Mootallica
And this is why I came here

Simple Logo's are the greatest, but, they need to be simple with style as well.

My favourite logo has to be the Exodus logo, by far.

Just remember that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Don't flat out copy a logo from a band, but take the elements you like from say, 5 of your favourite logos, and blend them together to create your own.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Hmm, I was thinking of doing that, but wouldn't that be breaking Plagarism laws? I don't want to be on the bad end of that stick.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
Quote by Mootallica
Hmm, I was thinking of doing that, but wouldn't that be breaking Plagarism laws? I don't want to be on the bad end of that stick.

No.

Plagiarism is only when you copy something, taking the bits you like and making them your own is called taking inspiration.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
No.

Plagiarism is only when you copy something, taking the bits you like and making them your own is called taking inspiration.

True.

I just get a bit too cautious sometimes.

I'll take this all into consideration. I'll see what I could come up with
Quote by srvguitarrulez
there you go then; have a picture of a key with simplicity written beneath it
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
I created this logo for my band:

The idea is to keep it.
a) simple
b) original

Unless you're in a black metal band, then the band with the most unintelligible logo wins.
It's the originality part that I am trying to get past.

I find it really hard for original ideas because I dont have a creative mind in terms of graphical design, i.e. text.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
Quote by Mootallica
It's the originality part that I am trying to get past.

I find it really hard for original ideas because I dont have a creative mind in terms of graphical design, i.e. text.

Just empty your mind and do some scriblings on a piece of paper. Listen to some of your music while you're at it.

Ideas will come.
Just don't overdo it

Do you play music like NWOBHM? Or do you just like those logos?
Last edited by kaihansen at Nov 6, 2008,
Use www.dafont.com and find an awesome font that you havent seen anywhere before. then keep it simple, over complicated band logos are shit.

for example, look at the a perfect circle logo, so simple, yet so good. keep it black and white if you have to (i did and i think my band logo is awesome. its on my profile if u wanna look)

but deffo start with a good font from dafont.com then build your logo around it, thats what I did, you just put various designs round your band name and cool font until you find one that fits and looks good
Last edited by benjabob at Nov 6, 2008,
Remember that its not always about the logo. Its about the whole cover.

First we see an ugly pic with an ugly ass font that doesn't fit at all.

And then we have something that is so simple yet so brilliant.... Where the hell have I put my dark side of the moon?!?!
Does anyone else hate the idea of a band logo?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
something like this is truly memorable, striking and instantly recognizable
Quote by zwound
something like this is truly memorable, striking and instantly recognizable

Trying to read that is likely to causing internal hemorraging.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by AnzioFNK
Keep it simple and striking!!

This is my old bands logo!

that logo looks and sounds like a sports brand =P, you could probably make lots of money if you got some "gear" with that logo on that looked cool, and your marketed it correctly
Make it shiny and you will win.
Quote by JeanMi36
No. I use a Mac.

Quote by soulflyV
I'm so sorry.
Quote by benjabob
that logo looks and sounds like a sports brand =P, you could probably make lots of money if you got some "gear" with that logo on that looked cool, and your marketed it correctly

eh...thanks.....i think!
Hmmmm. I have the same problem as you TS. What I ended up doing was letting someone else find an image and I just edited it a little. It's not the best but it's all we have until we can afford a proper logo.

Check it out and tell me what yas think http://www.myspace.com/sonsofexile (this is NOT advertising, just an example)
Quote by AnzioFNK
eh...thanks.....i think!

lol i meant it as a compliment. Over in the UK (if you dont live here/dont know), a lot of the big sports brands sound alike to your name, and the logos are similar, yours looks quite a bit mroe upclass than a lot of the crap produced here however, and would probably do well in the middle to high class teenage market

rant over, and I know that your not planning on making it into a brand, I was just imagining the future of Anzio, your tagline could be something like "If you dont wear Anzio, you dont deserve to be alive"
Comic sans + Web 2.0 gradient and shadow. Oh, and incorporate flames.
Quote by benjabob
lol i meant it as a compliment. Over in the UK (if you dont live here/dont know), a lot of the big sports brands sound alike to your name, and the logos are similar, yours looks quite a bit mroe upclass than a lot of the crap produced here however, and would probably do well in the middle to high class teenage market

rant over, and I know that your not planning on making it into a brand, I was just imagining the future of Anzio, your tagline could be something like "If you dont wear Anzio, you dont deserve to be alive"

Lol, cheers!
The old logo looked like this:

then i edited it to the newer one! Anzio is an old city in italy where a huge ww2 battle took place, thats what i named the band after......... new logo looked great on black t shirts
If any one of your band members had even a small amount of creativity, you wouldn't be here asking the pit for help on a band logo.

Now go draw a penis and paste your band name on it, and that'll be your goddamm logo.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Page 1 of 2