Electronic Guitar Request from a Dutch guy

Username:Svelden

Price Range:<350$ (+- 300&euro

Genres / Bands I like:Coldplay, Bloc Party, Bravery, Killers, Radiohead, Editors, Death Cab for Cutie. Aka Britpop, Rockish, Indie-ish.

What I want: An electric guitar to partner with my current Acoustic Guvnor GC575CE, I'm leaning towards a "tele" in stead of a "strat","SG" or "LP". Because the major part of my favourite artists uses a tele most of the time. And I just love that sound. So I prefer the "tele" but mabay you can convince me otherwise!

Additional Information: I'm practising for almost 2 months now and I'm Dutch so I apologize for the grammar

Thank you!

Stephan
a telecaster won't let you down. neither will a strat. as for make and model, I'm very out of touch when it comes to budget tele's. I've heard that the squire telecasters are'nt that bad, but there might be better ones out there.

buy used!
Sveldon, to answer your question from the other thread....

I'm not intirely sure what to look for, it's just that when I bought my MiM strat, I enquired what the difference between a USA Fender and MiM/squier is and the guy told me the that sometimes the build quality can be hit or miss on the cheaper models, and obviously cheaper models use cheaper parts. So just give the guitar a good look over, generally though, I think Squiers are very well made.
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by dantheguitarist
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516035 Here is a nice tele that you could get. Usually the Fender Made In Mexicos are pretty good. However, it is about $50 out of your budget, so you might be able to find a used one.

Good Luck.

even if its only about $50 over with a direct currency conversion i believe the price would be well inflated over that.
Quote by Bendybaws
Sveldon, to answer your question from the other thread....

I'm not intirely sure what to look for, it's just that when I bought my MiM strat, I enquired what the difference between a USA Fender and MiM/squier is and the guy told me the that sometimes the build quality can be hit or miss on the cheaper models, and obviously cheaper models use cheaper parts. So just give the guitar a good look over, generally though, I think Squiers are very well made.

Squires have crappy pick ups, and terrible intonation/set up.
Quote by JilaX^
Squires have crappy pick ups, and terrible intonation/set up.

good enough for a beginner, and those things can easily be sorted out
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
i think you're spot on with a telecaster.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_classic_vibe_tele_50s.htm

maybe this? i haven't been able to try it yet, but they seem to be quite well-regarded. would be worth a try, at least.

what amp do you have? you'll need an amp too...

your grammar is fine, by the way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank's for all the great reply's!!

Future Amp:
Roland Cube 15 X 15 Watt or Roland Cube 20 X 20 Watt

I've got an update;
After your tips and confirmation to look for a tele, I paid a visit to Feedback(Big music store in Holland) yesterday. I tried almost every telecaster, from €150 up to €1000, there and concluded that I was not blown away by their sound..... only "Hunting for witches-Bloc Party" delivered a WOW-moment. The sound was too clean,biting and twangy. I paired them with the Roland amp I mentioned above(both) and it did not deliver... not even a Thinline Fender... So I decided to try the famous stratocaster, I started with a classic 60 Fender(USA) ca. €900 and WOW! I loved the "quacky/wheeemy" effect and the "fuller" sound. So I'm confused, I thought I would love the telecasters. But now it seems I like the sound of the strat's. The first strat was way out of my budget so I tuned it down. I took it down to these three guitars;
-Fender Squier 60s Classic Vibe Strat 3 Tone Sunburst
-Fender Squier Vintage Mod. Strat SSS 3 Tone Sunburst
-Fender Squier Standard Fat Strat HSS RW Black Metallic
I did't like the humbuckers or duncun pickups on them and I'm leaning towards the 60's.
So my question now is: Is it strange I like the strat's more and which of these three guitars would you recommend(or even another option)?

@Dave: Thnx
@Bendy: The Squiers I used yesterday were pretty good construction wise.
@Everyone: Thnx again for all the replies!
Either the Classic Vibe or the Vintage Modified.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Svelden
Thank's for all the great reply's!!

Future Amp:
Roland Cube 15 X 15 Watt or Roland Cube 20 X 20 Watt

I've got an update;
After your tips and confirmation to look for a tele, I paid a visit to Feedback(Big music store in Holland) yesterday. I tried almost every telecaster, from €150 up to €1000, there and concluded that I was not blown away by their sound..... only "Hunting for witches-Bloc Party" delivered a WOW-moment. The sound was too clean,biting and twangy. I paired them with the Roland amp I mentioned above(both) and it did not deliver... not even a Thinline Fender... So I decided to try the famous stratocaster, I started with a classic 60 Fender(USA) ca. €900 and WOW! I loved the "quacky/wheeemy" effect and the "fuller" sound. So I'm confused, I thought I would love the telecasters. But now it seems I like the sound of the strat's. The first strat was way out of my budget so I tuned it down. I took it down to these three guitars;
-Fender Squier 60s Classic Vibe Strat 3 Tone Sunburst
-Fender Squier Vintage Mod. Strat SSS 3 Tone Sunburst
-Fender Squier Standard Fat Strat HSS RW Black Metallic
I did't like the humbuckers or duncun pickups on them and I'm leaning towards the 60's.
So my question now is: Is it strange I like the strat's more and which of these three guitars would you recommend(or even another option)?

@Dave: Thnx
@Bendy: The Squiers I used yesterday were pretty good construction wise.
@Everyone: Thnx again for all the replies!

it's not strange that you prefer strats, plenty of people prefer strats to teles (and vice-versa). strats have a "sweeter" sound, generally, while teles tend to have a brasher, twangier sound.

that classic 60s strat was probably made in mexico, not the USA (judging by the price), but i could be wrong.

i would try a yamaha pacifica 112 as well (it's mor or less the same thing as the HSS strat you tried), but if you didn't like the humbucker one, you may not like the pacifica either. the main advantage of having a bridge humbucker is that it leaves you the option of getting a heavier, rockier tone, but then again if you never need that heavier, rockier tone, you're likely better off with an SSS strat.

For the amp, i don't think i'd go with either of those roland cubes for two reasons:

1) the 15 and 20 models don't have the amp models which the cube 30x does- it'd be worth spending extra to get the cube 30x in my opinion, or if you can't stretch to that, the microcube would be worth a try. it doesn't have as many amp models as the 30x, but has a lot more than the 15 and 20.

2) more importantly, for the stuff you want to play, you'd perhaps be better off going for the vox valvetronix ad15vt. The cube is a really nice modelling amp, but it seems to be aimed more at hard rock and metal, while the vox is more aimed at the type of stuff you play, it has better clean and mild overdrive tones, it's a bit warmer and more organic-sounding.

i guess, how much do you want to spend on the guitar? you seem to have fallen in love with the 60s classic strat, which is fair enough, it's a nice guitar, but that's a lot of money to be spending on a first guitar unless you're sure you'll stick with it. If you are sure you'll stick with it, however, it would be a good idea to get a nicer guitar as it'll encourage you to play. also if you don't, you'll be able to sell it on and it might hold at least some of its value, unlike a lot of beginner guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's not strange that you prefer strats, plenty of people prefer strats to teles (and vice-versa). strats have a "sweeter" sound, generally, while teles tend to have a brasher, twangier sound.

that classic 60s strat was probably made in mexico, not the USA (judging by the price), but i could be wrong.

i would try a yamaha pacifica 112 as well (it's mor or less the same thing as the HSS strat you tried), but if you didn't like the humbucker one, you may not like the pacifica either. the main advantage of having a bridge humbucker is that it leaves you the option of getting a heavier, rockier tone, but then again if you never need that heavier, rockier tone, you're likely better off with an SSS strat.

For the amp, i don't think i'd go with either of those roland cubes for two reasons:

1) the 15 and 20 models don't have the amp models which the cube 30x does- it'd be worth spending extra to get the cube 30x in my opinion, or if you can't stretch to that, the microcube would be worth a try. it doesn't have as many amp models as the 30x, but has a lot more than the 15 and 20.

2) more importantly, for the stuff you want to play, you'd perhaps be better off going for the vox valvetronix ad15vt. The cube is a really nice modelling amp, but it seems to be aimed more at hard rock and metal, while the vox is more aimed at the type of stuff you play, it has better clean and mild overdrive tones, it's a bit warmer and more organic-sounding.

i guess, how much do you want to spend on the guitar? you seem to have fallen in love with the 60s classic strat, which is fair enough, it's a nice guitar, but that's a lot of money to be spending on a first guitar unless you're sure you'll stick with it. If you are sure you'll stick with it, however, it would be a good idea to get a nicer guitar as it'll encourage you to play. also if you don't, you'll be able to sell it on and it might hold at least some of its value, unlike a lot of beginner guitars.

Hey,

Thanks for the great reply.

I will look into the vox amp, but the roland cube sounds good with the song I played on it.(colplay, editors, John Mayer, Death cab.)

My guitar has been picked, I went for the squier 60 classic vibe (It's not the USA Fender but a Fender Squier). But I think you misunderstood: I only tested the USA Fender classic vibe 60's I wanted to buy a squier.

Stephan
oh, ok. i've heard good things about those new squier classic vibe models, but i haven't been able to try them- i think you probably made a good choice there.

the amp, it's really up to you- if at all possible, try both the cube and the vox with your guitar (or a guitar as close as possible to yours), and see which you prefer- you won't go far wrong with either the cube or the vox, just most people playing lower gain music seem to prefer the vox, so i thought i'd better tell you that. But if you prefer the cube, then go with the cube.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
@Dave;

I tried the Fender classic vibe 60's(USA) with the Cube and the Vox VT 15. But in my opinion the famous quacky sound of the strat's sounds even more quackier(is this even a verb ) on the cube, especially with John mayer songs. The 20x20 cube was my primary amp, but in my opinion the extra's didn't justify the price difference.

Also I won't use most of the extra features the 20 cube provides. Plus I am on a budget since it's my starters rig and it’s difficult not to put an extra 80 bucks/euro’s for that amp or 250 for this Mim Fender guitar.

Therefore I decided to stay with the lower priced 15 cube (nevertheless great sound) to begin with and I will upgrade mid/end next year to a amp set.

However the micro cube and the 30 cube you recommended did sound awesome but still above budget. You were completely right, they’re the better sounding amp’s plus they have awesome extra’s!

And I hope I made the right choice, guitar wise. I don’t believe it will disappoint me as my first strat. I will post my first impressions when I’ll buy her this week!
Again Thank you for your help and time!

PS: again apologies for my grammar, I did my very best.

@Squier;

The deal I made for this strat was 250 for the guitar and 80 for the cube, so I'm not complaining Thanks for the tip anyway!

Funny, I tested all guitars and amp's at Feedback in Rotterdam.

Ik woon trouwens ook in Oosterhout(Noord Brabant) en studeer aan de UvT in Tilburg
no problem at all, as long as you're happy that's what matters.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Svelden
@Dave;

I tried the Fender classic vibe 60's(USA) with the Cube and the Vox VT 15. But in my opinion the famous quacky sound of the strat's sounds even more quackier(is this even a verb ) on the cube, especially with John mayer songs. The 20x20 cube was my primary amp, but in my opinion the extra's didn't justify the price difference.

Also I won't use most of the extra features the 20 cube provides. Plus I am on a budget since it's my starters rig and it’s difficult not to put an extra 80 bucks/euro’s for that amp or 250 for this Mim Fender guitar.

Therefore I decided to stay with the lower priced 15 cube (nevertheless great sound) to begin with and I will upgrade mid/end next year to a amp set.

However the micro cube and the 30 cube you recommended did sound awesome but still above budget. You were completely right, they’re the better sounding amp’s plus they have awesome extra’s!

And I hope I made the right choice, guitar wise. I don’t believe it will disappoint me as my first strat. I will post my first impressions when I’ll buy her this week!
Again Thank you for your help and time!

PS: again apologies for my grammar, I did my very best.

@Squier;

The deal I made for this strat was 250 for the guitar and 80 for the cube, so I'm not complaining Thanks for the tip anyway!

Funny, I tested all guitars and amp's at Feedback in Rotterdam.

Ik woon trouwens ook in Oosterhout(Noord Brabant) en studeer aan de UvT in Tilburg

dan ben je veel ouder als ik das wel klote

na jah misschien woon je echt in de buurt welke straat woon je?
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H