Okay, as we know, Digitech no longer produces bass whammy pedals. Do guitar whammy pedals do the same thing or does it sound crappy? Also, does anyone know how to install a whammy bar on a bass? if so, how?
well i dont know how but i know you'd need some goddamn thick springs
I believe you mean a wah pedal not a whammy. I could be wrong, but I also dont think it is actually possible to put a tremolo on a bass to use a whammy bar. as Tukk said, "You'd need some goddamn thick springs"
There's bound to be someone else who makes a bass whammy pedal, alternatively look for a second hand one or try a guitar whammy pedal and see what you think. You CAN get tremelo's for bass but they're pretty rare these days, they were seen a bit in the eighties. I think Kahler(?) used to make one so have a look around. Google is your friend. If you do find one odds are that you're going to need to do some pretty serious body mods.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Kahler also makes bass tremelos.

And folks...don't double post. The edit button is there for a reason.
On the point of trem bridges- minimal top routing is required, and that's it for the Kahlers. They're still very much in production. Bass trems are different from guitar trems AFAIK. Rare? Barely.

And a wah pedal =/= a whammy pedal. They're similar, but not the same. A wah affects tone, a whammy affects pitch.
I figured it out but thanks for your help Ippon
Last edited by tukk04 at Nov 6, 2008,
big thanx to Ippon and anarkee. Victor Wooten(god of bass guitar) uses Kahler. Any more info on guitar Whammy pedal usability will be deeply appreciated.
The regular digitech whammy will work, but it does struggle on the lower notes. The tracking can get pretty glitchy.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
When I was playing on a Warwick thumb at the local music store I hooked up a whammy IV just to see what it was all about, having read all these reviews on it stating that it had problems tracking/wasn't as good as the bass whammy etc. But for someone just wanting to have a go with the whammy sound it would be perfect. The tracking issues where only really evident below the 5th fret on the E and when playing chords, so if you stick to elsewhere it would be fine. I would also look at getting the xp100 whammy second hand, looks mighty good and the reviews say it functions as well as any Whammy IV.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
well i say try the pedal out just because others say it is ok doesnt mean you liek it. Also a trem on your bass is bad idea really, it will send your bass out of tune easily because you cant get a locking nut and it costs a fari bit of money. For the amount one would use this bass trem it is a waste imho
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by gm jack
The regular digitech whammy will work, but it does struggle on the lower notes. The tracking can get pretty glitchy.

It might be able to be modded to work better with bass.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
It might be able to be modded to work better with bass.

The trouble is they are far more complex than most pedals. There is no realistic way to are going to know which components you need to change, of they are even big enough for you to see.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^ Sperzel locking tuners and a Graphtech Trem Nut will sort you there. With guitar or bass, it is my honest opinion that if you're getting a trem, you're almost obliged to get everything you need to keep it in tune.

yes but you have to route the locking nut slot pay for that and the tuners its really not worth the money and that still doesnt insure it will stay in tune
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Les claypool's main 4 string bass has a trem on it, but do keep in mind that it is a short scale instrument (32 inches) which will make it easier to use due to the lower string tension.

What is the scale of your bass?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I've heard that they can't do the dramatic pitch changes that guitar trems can do....I don't think it would worth it for most people.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I've heard that they can't do the dramatic pitch changes that guitar trems can do....I don't think it would worth it for most people.

yes they are bui;t like strat trems pretty much
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by JeremyKing
big thanx to Ippon and anarkee. Victor Wooten(god of bass guitar) uses Kahler. Any more info on guitar Whammy pedal usability will be deeply appreciated.

I'm going to leave it at that because I don't want to start a flame fest.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by alternitivebass
yes but you have to route the locking nut slot pay for that and the tuners its really not worth the money and that still doesnt insure it will stay in tune

It isn't a locking nut. It's a standard sized nut that's made with a material that allows the strings to slide back into proper place.
Quote by ccam555
Do any basses come stock with trems?

sort of. There was a limited edition Washburn bantam with a whammy, as mentioned above, but those are no loner made. Warmoth will make one for you, but extra routing and trem cover. BTW, would a trem cavity (and of course a trem that actually makes use of it) increase the range of the trem? Also, what's the difference (functionally) between the Kahler forward saddle, the rearward saddle, and hybrid trems?
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It isn't a locking nut. It's a standard sized nut that's made with a material that allows the strings to slide back into proper place.

oo intresting should check into that. sorry i assumed it was a locking i just basicly read through fast at saw nut for trem and just thought locking. Still i wouldnt pay the price
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!