Page 1 of 2
When Guitar Hero first came out years ago, as a keen guitarist, i thought that this was sacrilege and would have a negative effect on the number of people taking up the instrument, practicing etc. as this was an easy way out.

In essence, I thought that Guitar Hero would stifle interest in actually playing the guitar as children, adults and everyone in between would be able to play their favourite songs on this game. I felt that GH would be an alternative to actually playing.

As the years have passed, my stance has changed; not entirely, but substantially so to say that it is not necessarily a 'foe' of actual musicianship.

I am a university student and this is the title of an article I am writing for the school magazine. As such i was hoping to gauge other guitarists' (and musicians') views on the matter so i can present a variety of arguments and opinions with some substance.

(i would be grateful if i could pick out quotes etc. If you do not want to be quoted then please say and i will respect that. if not if you would wish to leave a name and where you're from i could put you in)

I will post the full article when I have finished...

Thanks

Duv x
huh I'm writing an essay on the same topic. Weird.

Guitar Hero hasn't helped my playing at all, but I've heard stories of kids being inspired to pick up a real guitar from guitar hero. I think that people have the real will to play guitar will do it. Maybe this will just weed out all the people who really shouldn't be playing guitar.
signatures are budget.
Guitar Hero is a game and nothing more. It is a fun game at that, and is great for letting people act like a rockstar. People act like drivers in racing games, and there's no controversy there from drivers. Same principle with this. I personally love the game- I lived with seven lads in my 1st year that didn't play instruments, and it was great to bond through.

On the point of "why don't people practice guitar instead of guitar hero", it's a stupid arguement for the following reasons:

1) Guitars and accessories cost more. I'm not factoring in the cost of the console since I doubt many people buy the console and just buy guitar hero.

2) Some people aren't musically inclined

3) Guitar practice is MUCH more intensive than guitar hero practice. They aren't the same. Guitar practice involves technique, theory, writing... it's much more involved.

GH has also opened music to people. Anyone who thinks that they're better for hearing a band before GH, and belittling those who get into, say, Iron Maiden through GH is nothing but an amorphous dolt better suited to living in somneone's anus.
I think the game is a good thing, because it inspires people to pick up the guitar, and by playing the game makes like day "damn i wish i could do this in real life" so they go and buy a guitar
93% of teenagers listen to rap music,if you are part of the 7% who listen to good music, put this in your siggy
Actually GH is a rather good workout for real guitar players beacuse if your playing on expert those little dots move fast so i'd say its somewhat of a helper.... but i hate it cause i can't watch the TV and my hand at the same time lol
Personally, I think this will just turn into a massive flame fest.

I bought my 2 young cousins guitars when they were 2 and 6 years old and then they were introduced to Guitar Hero needless to say they now prefer Guitar Hero as they can "complete One on medium" hopefully things will change and they will get into playing the real thing as they get older but, who knows?
Last edited by Thepoison92 at Nov 6, 2008,
I think GH is just a game to have fun, like any other game there are going to be kids who get way to into themselves and think they rule because they can play some song on expert, but I guess that's how it is with every game. I don't really know that many people that actually play it, but I'm guessing that there are kids who understand that its a game and that they don't own at guitar, kinda like playing counter strike. I don't think any counter strike player really thinks they can go ahead and be some marine just cause they own at some game, at least not the smart ones.
D;
I play Rock Band at friend's houses, and I don't even relate it to playing guitar. It's just another video game.
That being said, two of my friends did think that being able to play guitar on expert meant that they should go out and buy real guitars. And then when they found out that it is hard work and takes time to get anywhere, they had new wall ornaments.
What can we do with a canoe that will make people say, "Oh No, What's Wrong With Them?"
Im alittle on the fence about this, on the one hand, I have actually had friends who started playing guitar hero then started playing real guitar because they liked guitar hero. But I can also see people, younger kids specifically that would choose to play GH rather then practice their real guitar. So I guess, you have to take the bad with the good, it can cause people to get introduced to the real guitar, but it could also cause apathy to putting the time in to actually be good at real guitar.
Guitar hero has definitely helped my playing and being a musician in general)

Being a constant user of chromatic passing tones and fun chromatic motifs, the five button system has really improved my finger indendence and chromatic phrasing. Also, it's fun to pick up the guitar/remote and play with my friends. It introduces players to new music; I never listened to Killswitch engage or In flames before but now I'm kind of digging them)
It helps my compositional skill to be introduced to these new bands, I can now draw on elements from all forms of rock and metal and use them to compose. Right now, I'm making a quasi-cacophony version of the Zelda overworld theme using orchestration a la metallica and some great chops that were influenced from the guitar battle with lou.
hue
I picked up guitar after getting good at Guitar Hero, so I definitely think GH opened my eyes to the music world. However, that doesn't mean it's the case for everyone.

First off, the game has not helped my playing at all. When I started off from the very beginning a few months ago, I couldn't use "anything" I learned from GH because GH didn't really "teach" me anything at all. Also I had sort of wanted to play the guitar instrument from a few years back but never got around to it. Unfortunately it took until Guitar Hero III for me to pick up the real instrument.

I think GH is good at getting friends together and having fun, bonding with people and making new friends. To me, it seems like it's the new "way" to hang out with people and instead of listening to music and "hanging out", you hang out by playing guitar hero with them.

Also I'd like to mention that the real instrument takes dedication and effort to become any good in the beginning, you can't do it overnight obviously like GH. And to some people because of that I think the instrument is a deterent because the game has made them get used to 'being able to play songs from the very beginning'.

I've been trying to get a friend of mine to pick up the guitar becuase he plays too much GH as well (just like I used to), but he doesn't want to saying "it's too expensive" for him even though he has more money than me. I think that he just doens't have the desire to pick up the real instrument, he'd rather play the video game. For some people that's how it is and you can't change that.

The last thing I'd like to mention is that the game gives off this idea that some songs are more "difficult" on guitar than others which clearly isn't the case. In GH3 for example, the song Raining Blood is harder in the game than Cliffs of Dover. From what I know and correct me if I'm wrong, Cliffs of Dover on guitar would be considerably harder to learn than Raining Blood. I haven't played either song so I'm not one to judge, but that's what I think.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
I don't know what all the debate is. It's just a game like any other.
There is poetry in despair.
I personally think its just a game and aside from the plastic "guitar" has nothing to do with playing, or practicing real music. The best part of GH is that it introduces a younger generation to older music, that may (or may not) inspire them to be creative. To me it's just a game but I play Hard on hyper speed with a controller, I don't simulate playing any instrument drums or guitar through the game. But how much damage could it really do. if any thing it thins out the number of guitar players. Improving our chances of being noticed.
Its a fun game to play.
It does not replace playing guitar.
I enjoy playing guitar much more than guitar hero.
Plus, you can't get anywhere in life with Guitar Hero.
Quote by Rookie One
makes jizz shoot out of your don johnson
Quote by special_kae_911
Its a fun game to play.
It does not replace playing guitar.
I enjoy playing guitar much more than guitar hero.
Plus, you can't get anywhere in life with Guitar Hero.

This kid would disagree.
Airship is liek teh best giitar playr evr!!111!1!

Quote by solidgay
Don't use distortion pedals. Just bury your guitar for three weeks, and then dig it up, that should do the job.

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!
fun...doesn't replace guitar...bringing good music back..well less now because guitar heroes putting new crap songs in

RB2FTW
Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis
I think its both. It actually helped make my pinky stronger for real guitar so I use my pinky much more now. Thats good. Bad is my friend. He actually practices songs on guitar hero in the practice section. I cant talk about guitars in front of him cuz then he brings up Guitar Hero. It pisses me off cause he has no intention of picking up a real guitar and he takes it seriously.
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Copypasta from a blog on my profile:

So, many people on UG dislike Guitar Hero because it lets even complete idiots think they can play guitar.

I respectfully disagree.
Guitar Hero is fun. Loads of fun.

It even keeps the people that think their hot sh*t because they can play guitar (and suck), away from any actual musical instruments.

I got Guitar Hero 3, and its my second most played game on my Xbox360.

But this is where I draw the line:

Making the songs on GH a million times harder than the actuall song. A perfect example: Through The Fire And Flames.
Its actually a relativeley simple song, its just played really REALLY f*cking fast. Guitar Hero blew it up as the hardest song ever.

People rocking out to it on the store demos thinking their gonna get laid from it. Nuff said on that topic.
?!
I personally think guitar hero is great, as long as people dont get carried away with it. It is a fun game to play and very amusing although it is no substitute for the real thing. i think alot of people feel good that they can do well on this game but it still comes nowhere close to the feeling you can get from playing guitar well. alot of people look at it as more than a game though. look at that kid who dropped out of high school to pursue a career in playing guitar hero. I may understand this for MAKING music and selling it for money, but playing a plastic guitar with 5 buttons for a living is sort of pathetic.

so there is my rant about it. feel free to take from it what you want. hope i helped

names Alex B (winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) if you decide to take a quote.

oh BTW:

PENIS!

(obligatory pit monkey immaturity)
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
I'm kind of a unique case. I had always wanted to learn to play guitar, but never had the motivation or a reason. Then I played GH, and immediately decided to pick up the guitar. That was a year and a half ago, and I don't plan on ever giving up on guitar. I now have more fun playing the real thing than GH, and I'm not even that good.

Conversely speaking, I have friends that did the same thing, except once they found out playing the real thing is WAY different, and sometimes harder, than pressing down 5 different buttons, they put down the wood and picked up the plastic again.

It goes both ways. I'm not sure if this is any help but I just thought I would get that out there.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
As someone said earlier, it weeds out those who actually want to play guitar and the 'posers'.
Personally, I picked up guitar after I got really good at guitar hero, because I found that I enjoyed making music rather than just playing along to it with color-coordinated buttons.
I don't plan on ever putting my guitar down, and as a side note, guitar hero is a nice way to wind down after an intense practice session.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
I was talking to a guy in school. He asked if I played the newest GH game and I said I haven't. The conversation went like this:

Guy: "did you play the newest GH?"
Me: "no"
Guy: "Are you serious? Surely you of all people have to try it"
Me: "WHY? BECAUSE I PLAY GUITAR? GUITAR HERO AND REAL GUITAR HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER"
Guy: "You just have to"
Me: "Why?"
Guy: "..."
Me: "Thats what I thought"

I get conversations like this almost everyday which is why I dislike guitar hero. Its like some people do not have enough common sense to recognize GH =/= Real guitar.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

alexander ruello from australia sydney

guitar hero is a great way to give exposure to new music types. i know before i played the game i only listened to hip-hop. but after being exposed to musical styles such as Megadeth, Disturbed and Queens of the Stoneage i knew that this was something that i enjoyed more. I already played an instrument and it made me want to see if i had the ability to play the real thing. much more ractise later i found that there is much more satisfaction playing the real thing, which i do owe to GH in the first place for its exposure.

sorry for any spelling mistakes or anything
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
I was talking to a guy in school. He asked if I played the newest GH game and I said I haven't. The conversation went like this:

Guy: "did you play the newest GH?"
Me: "no"
Guy: "Are you serious? Surely you of all people have to try it"
Me: "WHY? BECAUSE I PLAY GUITAR? GUITAR HERO AND REAL GUITAR HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER"
Guy: "You just have to"
Me: "Why?"
Guy: "..."
Me: "Thats what I thought"

I get conversations like this almost everyday which is why I dislike guitar hero. Its like some people do not have enough common sense to recognize GH =/= Real guitar.

The only difference between GH guitar and IRL guitar are the lack of strings.

Other than that, GH = IRL guitar.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by brandon369852
The only difference between GH guitar and IRL guitar are the lack of strings.

Other than that, GH = IRL guitar.

A GH controller doesn't even feel similar to a real guitar.
Things in GH: Fretting notes, whammy bar, alternate picking, tapping
Real Guitar: more strings, more frets, sweep picking, economy picking, tapping, alternate picking, whammy bar, artificial harmonics, chords, bending.

In conclusion: Real guitar =/= GH even with more strings
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by iron_maiden97
I personally think guitar hero is great, as long as people dont get carried away with it. It is a fun game to play and very amusing although it is no substitute for the real thing. i think alot of people feel good that they can do well on this game but it still comes nowhere close to the feeling you can get from playing guitar well. alot of people look at it as more than a game though. look at that kid who dropped out of high school to pursue a career in playing guitar hero. I may understand this for MAKING music and selling it for money, but playing a plastic guitar with 5 buttons for a living is sort of pathetic.

so there is my rant about it. feel free to take from it what you want. hope i helped

names Alex B (winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) if you decide to take a quote.

oh BTW:

PENIS!

(obligatory pit monkey immaturity)

I completely disagree with this. You may understand that it is acceptable to drop and education where MUCH more job opportunities will be available to pursue a career in one occupation? Also, if I could make more money from guitar hero than actual guitar even if it is "pathetic", I honestly probably wouldn't care. Also, if you end up not becoming a professional musician, where do you go without an education? You'll be in the same shoes as guy #1 who chose guitar hero over school who is now a homeless bum on the streets because the guitar hero fad is now over.
Quote by FireandFlames
Your weak mind just cannot comprehend the intense level of awesome that Pokemon is at.
Friend.

It got me into guitar, and actually did help with my finger speed and precision.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Fritz621
Actually GH is a rather good workout for real guitar players beacuse if your playing on expert those little dots move fast so i'd say its somewhat of a helper.... but i hate it cause i can't watch the TV and my hand at the same time lol

then maybe you shouldn't play guitar...
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
A GH controller doesn't even feel similar to a real guitar.
Things in GH: Fretting notes, whammy bar, alternate picking, tapping
Real Guitar: artificial harmonics,

In conclusion: Real guitar =/= GH even with more strings

Aye, but you wouldn't sweep on an acoustic, therefore an acoustic guitar is not a guitar. And I've played a guitar with no frets once, therefore that was not a guitar either. And if take off your strings, it is not a guitar anymore, by your logic. Chords can be done on a piano, therefore a piano is a guitar. I can bend my pinky back, therefore it is ALSO a guitar. Economy picking isn't real, so neither are guitars.

So, artificial harmonics are the one thing I can't think of, so yeah, thanks.
Follow me on Twitter
I like Guitar Hero. It's fun when you're not in the mood to play guitar, and it gets people into new music. It also gives a chance for my non-musically inclined friends to feel like rockstars and stuff. It's all in good fun.
Quote by brandon369852
Aye, but you wouldn't sweep on an acoustic, therefore an acoustic guitar is not a guitar. And I've played a guitar with no frets once, therefore that was not a guitar either. And if take off your strings, it is not a guitar anymore, by your logic. Chords can be done on a piano, therefore a piano is a guitar. I can bend my pinky back, therefore it is ALSO a guitar. Economy picking isn't real, so neither are guitars.

So, artificial harmonics are the one thing I can't think of, so yeah, thanks.

Don't be petty, you know what he means. You, sir, are arguing just for the sake of arguing, and nothing more.
And as a side note: You CAN sweep on an acoustic, and, if done properly, it sounds quite beatiful.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Froboarder
Don't be petty, you know what he means. You, sir, are arguing just for the sake of arguing, and nothing more.

How'd you know.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by brandon369852
How'd you know.

Cause you're in the pit.
Quote by angus fan16
Quote by Froboarder
Cause you're in the pit.

I don't know, some of the logic used in that post, some would think I was from the Metal Forum.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Guitar Hero is a game and nothing more. It is a fun game at that, and is great for letting people act like a rockstar. People act like drivers in racing games, and there's no controversy there from drivers. Same principle with this. I personally love the game- I lived with seven lads in my 1st year that didn't play instruments, and it was great to bond through.

On the point of "why don't people practice guitar instead of guitar hero", it's a stupid arguement for the following reasons:

1) Guitars and accessories cost more. I'm not factoring in the cost of the console since I doubt many people buy the console and just buy guitar hero.

2) Some people aren't musically inclined

3) Guitar practice is MUCH more intensive than guitar hero practice. They aren't the same. Guitar practice involves technique, theory, writing... it's much more involved.

GH has also opened music to people. Anyone who thinks that they're better for hearing a band before GH, and belittling those who get into, say, Iron Maiden through GH is nothing but an amorphous dolt better suited to living in somneone's anus.

This. Make sure to quote him word for word
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Guitar and Guitar Hero are both great. The thing is I got bored of guitar hero after about a month or 2, but I'm still not bored of guitar after 3 years.
I just hate it when your talking to someone about guitar & They bring up guitar hero & tell you it's basically the same!

Then I call them a spoon & knock them on there arse!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

WRONG!!!!

They both were bday presents
Page 1 of 2