I was thinking of getting a tele, for one because my damn epiphone les pual custom hurts my back when I stand up and play it for about 15 minuets. I play with the praise band at my church wich plays strictly rock and my les oual sounds good but kill s my back. However after going and playing a telecaster it was just a standard MIM and the comparing it to a nearby epi les pual standard they felt like they weighed the same? Does anyone know that weights of these 2 guitars? Is weight somthing that may very between 2 guitars of the same model?
" Im so god damned horny the crack of dawn better be carefull around me."
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ rosewood neck&Emg's
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
they have thinline teles, but yeah some telecasters feel like a block of wood.

you can find the weight in most specs, can be around 8lbs, but in general....

lightest to heaviest are:
ibanez style super strats, fender strats, ultra and chambered lps-SGs-Teles, then lps.

and they all vary from model to model.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
the weight varies, I dont know how or why, I know QC can sometimes be a little strange with MIM fenders, but I dont know why some weigh more than others.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Strats are pretty light. I have an Epi LP Custom and a MIM Strat. Personally the weight of the LP doesn't tend to bother me, but I play my strat more often. Make sure you have a good thick strap, so it doesn't dig in.

I appreciate this isn't really what you asked or anything but, meh...
Just cut large holes in the back of it. Nobody will see and I guarantee it will be much lighter. If you can afford it change all the metal to plastic do so as it'll become far lighter, and cut off the cutaway part, which will not only make it less heavy, but also give it a unique, modernised look.
Quote by Swap-Meet
Uhhh...Didn't Clapton play a strat?

exactly what i was thinking
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Swap-Meet
Uhhh...Didn't Clapton play a strat?

He played an LP that he got because of Andy Summers before his iconic strat.
Lol if you cant play for longer then 15 minutes then there's only one thing you should be doing...Learn to condition your body because that's terrible if you cant!
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
exactly what i was thinking

clapton was the guitarist in a band called cream... you know sunshine of your love? Well during this iera of his life he used lespauls when he got older and went solo he started playing strats.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
^^^^^
I realize that clapton and the others did it but I already have back and neck problems because of my posture. I dont like having to take tylenol every time I stand up and play my guitar lol Ill ruine my back and my liver.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by Brian8878682
clapton was the guitarist in a band called cream... you know sunshine of your love? Well during this iera of his life he used lespauls when he got older and went solo he started playing strats.

I know of Cream, im not a noob. Now that I think about it, I think he played a les paul in the film adaption of The Who album Tommy. Then again, might have been a strat, its been a while since I saw that movie.

Edit: also TS, I used to think my Epiphone G-400 was too heavy(which the neck is too heavy for the body) but I got over it. You start to get used to playing with a heavy guitar, and im a pretty small guy, almost no muscle tone at all.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Pageles
you are one weak kid

He might have some kind of problem that prevents him from holding a heavy guitar for long periods of time.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by Xeus
standard teles are pretty heavy, i was suprised much like yourself when i tried one. To be honest though people like page and clapton would wear their les pauls for hours on end so if they can, im sure you can

Unless he has some major back issues then maybe not. That's like saying that he should be able to play stuff like Eric Clapton plays just because Eric Clapton can do it.

Capability of one person does not constitute capability of everone else, sir. Good day to you.
Quote by Pageles
you are one weak kid

I actually I wrestle for my school and spend alot of time at the gym for wrestling. Also my church used to be portable for about 3 years, this is relavent because I was a key person in helping carry everything in including a full sound/Pa system, the point is between wrestling the gym and a portable church I use my back muscels more than the normal person and like I say The way I my posture is ( I slump my shoulders, it gives me constant back and neck problems) Lol I dont want to be a huntchback by the time im 35. I need a light guitar or my back will be destroyed before I hit 40 lol.

Oh yea and I can play my guitar for more than 15 minutes I usually during practice I spend about 3 straight hours standing and playing. What I ment by that was it only takes about 15 minutes of standing and playing before my back starts killing me.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by GettintheLedout
the weight of teles vary.

+1

i hear that the baja one, for example, can be pretty weighty.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Brian8878682
I actually I wrestle for my school and spend alot of time at the gym for wrestling. Also my church used to be portable for about 3 years, this is relavent because I was a key person in helping carry everything in including a full sound/Pa system, the point is between wrestling the gym and a portable church I use my back muscels more than the normal person and like I say The way I my posture is ( I slump my shoulders, it gives me constant back and neck problems) Lol I dont want to be a huntchback by the time im 35. I need a light guitar or my back will be destroyed before I hit 40 lol.

Oh yea and I can play my guitar for more than 15 minutes I usually during practice I spend about 3 straight hours standing and playing. What I ment by that was it only takes about 15 minutes of standing and playing before my back starts killing me.

Could this be more of a posture problem than the weight of the guitar? If so it would be far more beneficial in your life to sort out your posture rather tha get a lighter guitar.
Quote by Mr E
Could this be more of a posture problem than the weight of the guitar? If so it would be far more beneficial in your life to sort out your posture rather tha get a lighter guitar.

I think I should work on that too, do you mean posture while playing guitar or posture like everyday walking around? Because I do slump my shoulders when I walk around.

Oh yea and by the way if anyone was curiouse ive decided to get a Fender Light ash telecaster.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by Brian8878682
I think I should work on that too, do you mean posture while playing guitar or posture like everyday walking around? Because I do slump my shoulders when I walk around.

Oh yea and by the way if anyone was curiouse ive decided to get a Fender Light ash telecaster.

Just in general really. Good posture helps no end. But it would really help you playing guitar too.
Actually teles arent that heavy, but they arent the lightest guitars, try the light ash model, it was almost as light as my Rg.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by YourVillain
Just cut large holes in the back of it. Nobody will see and I guarantee it will be much lighter. If you can afford it change all the metal to plastic do so as it'll become far lighter, and cut off the cutaway part, which will not only make it less heavy, but also give it a unique, modernised look.

Are you being serious? I hope not.
Not sure whether you've got the headroom for this, but a few helium-filled balloons attached to the LP may well help. Hydrogen would do an even better job, but might be a little awkward in church if there are candles around.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Man up and play the LP.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30