Somebody's still going to say that this thread already exists, but i looked, and i can't find it. I'm just wondering, because I just got a PRS SE Stoptail and one of the songs I'm learning tunes all the strings down half a step and the other is standard tuning. I'm changing the tuning a lot and I want to make sure this won't come back to bite me in the long run.
ya you should be good...if a string does happen to break it's probably just time to change your set...lol i usually tune down to drop c and then back to E standard many times throughout the day and strings have never given out on my yet...so tune away lol
~ Requiem of Innocence ~
I'm sure you'll get different opinions, but I don't like doing it.. Constantly changing tunings is not good for the neck
a half step wont do any harm. if you have a heavy set of strings on, maybe. i wouldnt worry too much though.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
I don't think it would pose any sort of real problem. I've done this many times in a day with some of my guitars and have never had a problem. A half step is not really that much different in terms of tuning. I could see something like a step and a half or more affecting the playability of the guitar, but tuning that much lower usually requires adjustments (thicker strings, bridge spring adjustments, etc.).
Guitars are like my babies... except without that useless baby meat...
With just a half step

absolutely not
this shouldnt do anything to the neck
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
I wouldnt go any more then a half step or you could hurt the neck. I would go back to standered when you are finished to keep the normal resistance that the guitar is stet up for.
Quote by Millamyd
I'm sure you'll get different opinions, but I don't like doing it.. Constantly changing tunings is not good for the neck

Quote by chaseNbadguys
I wouldnt go any more then a half step or you could hurt the neck. I would go back to standered when you are finished to keep the normal resistance that the guitar is stet up for.

If either of you guys manage to hurt your neck by changing tunings, you deserve an "unlucky person of the century award". Guitars are not made of crystal, people, they're very, very durable.

Case in point, I have an Ibanez with a Wizard neck (the thinnest ever probably), and I can pull up on the trem two and a half steps. The neck is perfect, and will be for a very long time.
Last edited by which ones pink at Nov 6, 2008,